"Official" 2010 Head Coach Prediction:

xu9697

Well, IMO the guy has had his time to build the program, made some mistakes, and was given more time. We are nowhere near where we should be, time for something new. Things will be a mess for a year with recruits and existing players, etc. It will be the same if he stays, we win 2 games next year and we fire him then. JD is a very talented guy, he'll be fine. Actually, he'll probably be making more money then I will next year (that's not saying much) even if he does get canned!EDIT: Actually, I know he will be making more money as he still has 1 year on his contract....but you get the picture!

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i gotta think at this point it's a purely financial decission. does it cost the university more to cut jd loose or to keep him? is it going to cost more to eat contracts and lose a sizeable donation or will lost ticket revenues, concessions, merchandising, etc. cost more?
Exactly. The dismal season cost us a couple hundred thousand dollars in lost ticket sales today alone. Add those amounts to his salary and a 1 year buyout looks like a bargain.

AND that "one big donor" you cite is a program supporter, not a JD athletic supporter. Do we want to have a situation wherein ONE supporter becomes the lynch pin with the leverage to force UA to keep a coach who can't get it done? If that supporter loves JD so much more than the overall program then maybe he/she should hire JD after UA cans him. Besides, there will be donors who fall in love with the next coach too, and how many of us will love the program if they start to win some games? Bye bye JD and please remember neutral colors and a tidy yard make that best first impression!

lets try not to personalize this again..its not about JD Brookhart the person...or Jim Fleming the person etc etc...so how about we not get into the stuff about how to sell the house and the personal nastiness...whomever is making the final decision will look at the entire football program...where it was and where it is...i see somebody is already saying the decision has been made as of this AM...lot of frustration out there...hope we can keep it civil no matter what our opinion is...

lets try not to personalize this again..its not about JD Brookhart the person...or Jim Fleming the person etc etc...so how about we not get into the stuff about how to sell the house and the personal nastiness...whomever is making the final decision will look at the entire football program...where it was and where it is...i see somebody is already saying the decision has been made as of this AM...lot of frustration out there...hope we can keep it civil no matter what our opinion is...
Thank you.

As my friend Vito used to say (usually right around the time somebody was getting whacked) , "It's not personal, it's just business." ;)

i gotta think at this point it's a purely financial decission. does it cost the university more to cut jd loose or to keep him? is it going to cost more to eat contracts and lose a sizeable donation or will lost ticket revenues, concessions, merchandising, etc. cost more?
Exactly. The dismal season cost us a couple hundred thousand dollars in lost ticket sales today alone. Add those amounts to his salary and a 1 year buyout looks like a bargain.
But when you are "rebuilding" a program, no one ever lays the expectations on the new regime to right the ship first season.I was hyped when we brought in those high-profile assistants before this season, but where did that get us? Just askin.What's Shanahan doing these days?

But when you are "rebuilding" a program, no one ever lays the expectations on the new regime to right the ship first season.I was hyped when we brought in those high-profile assistants before this season, but where did that get us? Just askin.What's Shanahan doing these days?
True. But what happened last time we had a new head coach?

True. But what happened last time we had a new head coach?
Good point...... and if someone comes in next year and goes .500 or better, it will definitely provide even more validation to this decision.

Who the hell's Luck Fickell?
Looks like a spelling error at Sporting News.Luke Fickell is linebacker coach and assistant defensive coordinator at Columbus State. There was an interesting PD story about him earlier this year.PD Link
Great. That's just what we need. A position coach. :rolleyes: If we're going the coordinator route, we should at least go for someone who has experience coaching half a team. The actual defensive coordinator, not an assistant of an assistant of the head coach.

Looks like a spelling error at Sporting News.Luke Fickell is linebacker coach and assistant defensive coordinator at Columbus State. There was an interesting PD story about him earlier this year.PD Link
Fickell played under Cooper at OSU. Never the biggest or fastest but always in on the plays. I like him. Coached akrons d-line 2000-01And about Wagner and Nicely leaving... I don't know how someone has a better source than me. When I asked, the kid laughed and said no way. We do not need to start fear mongering.

Fickell played under Cooper at OSU. Never the biggest or fastest but always in on the plays. I like him. Coached akrons d-line 2000-01And about Wagner and Nicely leaving... I don't know how someone has a better source than me. When I asked, the kid laughed and said no way. We do not need to start fear mongering.
once again, i'm glad to be wrong

For what it's worth...top FCS teams (coaches?) this year:1. Southern Illinois Salukis (36) 10-1 2,259 1 2. Villanova Wildcats (28) 10-1 2,236 2 3. Montana Grizzlies (29) 11-0 2,088 3 4. Richmond Spiders 10-1 2,072 4 5. Appalachian State Mountaineers (1) 9-2 1,940 6 6. William & Mary Tribe 9-2 1,741 5 7. South Carolina State Bulldogs 10-1 1,715 7 8. McNeese State Cowboys 9-2 1,677 8 9. Elon Phoenix 9-2 1,591 10 10. New Hampshire Wildcats 9-2 1,488 11 11. South Dakota State Jackrabbits 8-3 1,381 12 12. Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks 9-2 1,305 15 13. Eastern Washington Eagles 8-3 1,034 18 14. Jacksonville State Gamecocks 8-3 1,031 17 15. Weber State Wildcats 7-4 949 19 16. Northern Iowa Panthers 7-4 939 9 17. Holy Cross Crusaders 9-2 783 13 18. Prairie View A&M Panthers 8-1 753 20 19. Eastern Illinois Panthers 8-3 639 14 20. Colgate Raiders 9-2 533 22 21. Penn Quakers 8-2 505 24 22. Liberty Flames 8-3 483 16 23. Florida A&M Rattlers 8-3 289 NR 24. Lafayette Leopards 8-3 206 21 25. Texas State Bobcats 7-4 187 NR

What do you guys think about somebody like Tommy West? He was just let go by Memphis after being with the program for a full decade. He was the coach on the opposite sideline when Akron played in the 2005 Motor City Bowl.The fact that he stayed at Memphis when he had opportunities to go elsewhere may bode well for his staying power at a school like Akron which has much better facilities than Memphis for football and arguably a more fertile recruiting area as well.

What do you guys think about somebody like Tommy West? He was just let go by Memphis after being with the program for a full decade. He was the coach on the opposite sideline when Akron played in the 2005 Motor City Bowl.The fact that he stayed at Memphis when he had opportunities to go elsewhere may bode well for his staying power at a school like Akron which has much better facilities than Memphis for football and arguably a more fertile recruiting area as well.
Why was he fired? It had better be a great reason if Akron is going to go after a person who was fired from the exact same position for failure to perform.

No, he's been a failure twice as a head coach, and he's approaching 60. Very similar career at Memphis to JD at Akron, being that he started off with a bang and hasn't been able to win in the last 3-4 years. Besides that, he's rumored for BCS coordinator jobs at FSU and Georgia that will pay him a lot more money. We need somebody young and energetic, with a history of succes as a head coach, that can recruit. I'm all for going the 1-aa head coach route.