"Bad coaching doesn't define the Zips football program over the past 23 years, it is stupidity that defines it." Hmm?

ZipAnalyst

"Bad coaching doesn't define the Zips football program over the past 23 years, it is stupidity that defines it." (Comment by GP1 on another topic)Stupidity is part and parcel of bad coaching. It starts with recruiting. What is the classroom record? In the dialogue between recruiter and a prospect, situational football talk should be part of the evaluative process. For example, borrowing on GP1's example (the from the end zone run), would be a good "what if" question. The question: What if you were the lone running back in the backfield and the play call was for you to run off right tackle, but on getting the ball you think you see a wide open field veering off the right and, although there is room to run off tackle, it looks as if there is only a yard or two to gain, at best. What would you do?More work needs to be done by coaches to identify recruits who can make consistently wise decisionsYesterday the ESPNU announcers were amazed that the coaches decided to punt with about 5 to 6 minutes to go in the game with the Zips in reach, though, admittedly, the chances were slim of overtaking BG. They did everything but call the coaches stupid. In my estimate there has been plenty of stupid coaching and playing over the past 23 years.It seems to become a cultural thing with Zip football.When the AD goes about getting candidates to replace JD, one of his prime quests should be to get someone who will break they cycle.And that will require the AD having the intellectual wherewithal to identify the smart coaching candidates who, in turn, will select smart recruits and then combo exists that creates conditions where "on-the-field-adjustments" can "realistically" occur.

The question: What if you were the lone running back in the backfield and the play call was for you to run off right tackle, but on getting the ball you think you see a wide open field veering off the right and, although there is room to run off tackle, it looks as if there is only a yard or two to gain, at best. What would you do?It seems to become a cultural thing with Zip football.When the AD goes about getting candidates to replace JD, one of his prime quests should be to get someone who will break they cycle.And that will require the AD having the intellectual wherewithal to identify the smart coaching candidates who, in turn, will select smart recruits and then combo exists that creates conditions where "on-the-field-adjustments" can "realistically" occur.
The culture of stupidity has created the culture of losing. Watching the Zips play has made me extremely uncomfortable because I know it is only a matter of time until they do something backbreakingly (is that even a word?) stupid.The answer to the original question is to run forward. Almost every answer to the question of whether or not to run forward or sideways is to run forward. It is what they do in the NFL and what good college backs do. Getting yards is the key, especially in the game situation they were in. Like I said in the other thread, a 98 yard TD run is almost completely unrealistic...take what they give you and live to fight another day/play.I want football smart players. But more than anything, I want players who are conditioned to win and have won. Maybe that is the same thing. There are a lot of players who are smart at football and stupid at everything else. I want some smart football players.....right now, I would settle for them not being stupid.

Stupid is as stupid does. It starts with search committee and continues from there. One would think that a school that can hire Caleb, Kieth, Dennis, Newt, Jody etc. could hire a GOOD football coach. The football program has been in the dumper ever since they got rid of Jimmy D.I think part, if not all of the problem is that both ADs amf coaches look at the position as a stepping stone.

Stupid is as stupid does. It starts with search committee and continues from there. One would think that a school that can hire Caleb, Kieth, Dennis, Newt, Jody etc. could hire a GOOD football coach. The football program has been in the dumper ever since they got rid of Jimmy D.I think part, if not all of the problem is that both ADs amf coaches look at the position as a stepping stone.
It is a stepping stone back to selling AutoCAD software for JD.

And another thing about losing. The Zips have been losing for so long they are actually getting better and better at it by the year. The team is on a great early game drive and the WR fumbles on a routine tackle. The QB runs into the RB. The list goes on and on. The methods we are deploying to lose are becoming more spectacular by the year.BG has a smart senior QB and an NFL player in #7. Other than that, the talent level is no different. Last night was a game the Zips could have won if not for their stupidity.

How about this. In the second half BG took the kickoff and drove right down the field. They had 1st and goal and we line up with a back up saftey covering the best player(#7) they have in man coverage. Their QB simply lofts a short pass to him for 6. The guy covering him was way overmatched. That is stupid coaching.