Future OOC Schedule

GP1

Ianello probably had zero impact on setting up the 2011 schedule. We'll see what it looks like from 2012 on.

By that time we will probably be looking for a new AD as they roll over every 3 years. The whole athletic dept will change and we will be in transition for the next 6 months.

This is why the AD should not be allowed to schedule more than two years out...2013 and beyond should be off limits for TW as far as scheduling goes...

Have fun recruiting kids when you can't tell them where you'll be playing.

Ianello probably had zero impact on setting up the 2011 schedule. We'll see what it looks like from 2012 on.

By that time we will probably be looking for a new AD as they roll over every 3 years. The whole athletic dept will change and we will be in transition for the next 6 months.

This is why the AD should not be allowed to schedule more than two years out...2013 and beyond should be off limits for TW as far as scheduling goes...

8 Games -- Miami, Ke.nt State, Bowling Green, Ball State, Toledo, a couple directional Michigans, OU, etc.

1 Game -- A 1-AA school.

1 Game -- A BCS school.

2 Games -- Some combination of a lower BCS school and a non BCS, 1-A program. Both, or 1 & 1.

There's your 12-game schedule for the next 8 - 10 years. Now iCoach can recruit like the wind.

8 Games -- Miami, Ke.nt State, Bowling Green, Ball State, Toledo, a couple directional Michigans, OU, etc.

1 Game -- A 1-AA school.

1 Game -- A BCS school.

2 Games -- Some combination of a lower BCS school and a non BCS, 1-A program. Both, or 1 & 1. [corrected type-o]

There's your 12-game schedule for the next 8 - 10 years. Now iCoach can recruit like the wind.

I think you missed one, unless my math is wrong that's 11 not 12

Now that we have had Syracuse and Indiana at home with no real jump in attendance, seems that bringing in more non-BCS but FBS teams makes sense. Might as well load up on UCF, FIU, Middle Tennessee, Marshall, Army, Memphis, etc.= more winnable games now, hopefully lead to better attendance (based on WINNING) later.

I would still look at a 2 for 1 with someone like Michigan State, Purdue, Pitt or WVU= go with the "middle of the pack" teams from BCS leagues..I think some casual fans might actually come to these games. Not to mention, some of these schools would bring a good couple thousand. "Joe Akron" just isn't biting on bottom-of-the-barrel BCS schools [indiana, Syracuse (recent history) and Cincinnati (had them a couple years early!)].

2 year series with UCF confirmed here as well (2012 page linked):

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-12/mid-ame...ll-schedule.php

UPDATED (9/8/10):

@ OSU

@ UC

@ Tennessee (according to Ianallo on WKNR a few weeks ago)

vs. UCF

@ UCF

@ Virginia Tech

Also, does not look like FAMU or FIU is on the schedule in future years according to that site. Both SEEM to have most OOC opponents for the next few years scheduled, though things can always change.

UCF is DEFINITELY an upgrade over FAMU or FIU

Have not heard anything more about the Akron @ ND "rumblings".

UPDATED (9/8/10):

@ OSU

@ UC

vs. UCF

@ UCF

@ Virginia Tech

Also, does not look like FAMU or FIU is on the schedule in future years according to that site. Both SEEM to have most OOC opponents for the next few years scheduled, though things can always change.

Why no JMU?

UPDATED (9/8/10):

@ OSU

@ UC

vs. UCF

@ UCF

@ Virginia Tech

Why no JMU?

Original poster did not seem convinced that it was accurate, and work blocks the link. Judgement call on my part. Copy, paste and fix it if it seems pretty definite.

I find it odd we would have an FCS opponent scheduled 4 years in advance. If so, not sure what that says about our AD, Coach, etc. when it comes to scheduling. But I do like the UCF series!

Original poster did not seem convinced that it was accurate, and work blocks the link. Judgement call on my part. Copy, paste and fix it if it seems pretty definite.

I find it odd we would have an FCS opponent scheduled 4 years in advance. If so, not sure what that says about our AD, Coach, etc. when it comes to scheduling. But I do like the UCF series!

Here is what is written in JMU's "The Breeze". UA is mentioned towards the bottom.

Bonus cash for Va. Tech contest

September 7, 2010 • By Michael Hinkle,

Print This Post

Email This Post

HARRISONBURG, Va. — While the Dukes’ success in football is no doubt due to the hard work and efforts of the athletic department and the players, $400,000 to play Division I-A teams can be remarkably helpful.

The athletic department will receive $400,000 to play Virginia Tech on Saturday in an Interstate 81 rivalry.

Jeff Bourne, currently in his 12th year as director of Athletics at JMU, said the money, also known as a “guarantee,” would be placed in the department’s general operating budget for the year.

In the past, the athletic department has received guarantees to play the University of Maryland in 2009, Duke University in 2008 and the University of North Carolina in 2007. However, in terms of financial gain, this will be the highest guarantee in school history as the others were only $325,000, $170,000 and $320,000, respectively.

Bourne confirmed that the athletic department chooses who it will play based on the net revenue. He added there are many factors to take into consideration, including travel and other miscellaneous trip expenses.

“JMU has had several offers to play farther south, some even in the SEC,” Bourne said. Revenue, however, would be cut severely after taking these factors into consideration.

Bourne said that half of the incentive will be going to Athletics’ general operating budget, which is nearly $25 million at this point. The other half will be going to the continued construction of Bridgeforth Stadium.

Karen Mercer, director of Business Operations at JMU, said that the only guarantee for this year’s football program is the Virginia Tech game. While Mercer believes the guarantee is beneficial, it is a mere 1.5 percent of the operating budget.

She continued to say that the operating budget comes from a few different sources including the JMU Foundation, student activity fees, Student Duke Club fees and several others.

“They all contribute to the general operating budget, which the whole athletic department can draw from,” Mercer said.

Bourne looks forward to discontinue the school’s reliance on the guarantees and instead hopes to replace the I-A incentive with a home game. But that will not be a possibility until the stadium is complete by fall 2011 and the athletic department is able to sustain itself with ticket sales alone.

Until then, however, the department will make use of guarantees, A game is scheduled between the Dukes and UNC next year and another against the University of Akron in 2014.

contact Michael Hinkle at hinklema@dukes.jmu.edu.

• 1 month later...

Schedule is filling in, slowly. Apparently we're playing Louisiana in a home-and-home. I believe that "Louisiana" means LA-Lafayette from the Sun Belt. Always good to see more non-BCS teams on the schedule.

2011: @OSU, @UC

2012: @Tennessee, UCF

2013: @UCF, Louisiana

2014: JMU

2015: @ Virginia Tech, @ Louisiana

Schedule is filling in, slowly. Apparently we're playing Louisiana in a home-and-home. I believe that "Louisiana" means LA-Lafayette from the Sun Belt. Always good to see more non-BCS teams on the schedule.

2011: @OSU, @UC

2012: @Tennessee, UCF

2013: @UCF, Louisiana

2014: JMU

2015: @ Virginia Tech, @ Louisiana

Could also mean Louisiana-Monroe from the same conference.

Any chance it could be LSU?

I checked and it's definitely Lafayette. The Ragin' Cajuns.

It would be nice to see LSU come to the Info, though.

Louisiana-Lafayette likes to call themselves simply "Louisiana", which of course makes LSU and Lousiana-Monroe not too happy. I believe UL-Lafayette attempted to change the name officially, but the state wouldn't allow it (no doubt influenced by LSU).

I'm pretty excited about this one. Tailgating right in the middle of Cajun Country in the fall of 2015? Now THAT'S a unique culinary delight & college football experience to look forward to!! My wife and I have already marked this road trip down.

• 1 month later...
I'm also happy about the lack of Big Ten opponents.

According to a letter I received today as a season ticket holder who attended all six games, we play Can't, Ohio, Temple, Central Michigan, FIU, and Virginia Military Institute at home next year.

That finishes off the non-conference schedule with:

@OSU

@Cinci

vs. FIU

vs. Virginia Military Institute

According to a letter I received today as a season ticket holder who attended all six games, we play Can't, Ohio, Temple, Central Michigan, FIU, and Virginia Military Institute at home next year.

IMNHO, this is a real good home schedule next year on both an entertaining/interesting level and importance of winning the MAC East (If Miami can do it, we can do it) level.

Some think getting our butts kicked by BCS teams is an indication of where the program is...maybe. I believe a better indication is how we do against other non-BCS D-1A teams. Playing FIU at home will allow us to better measure our program in the world of reality.

IMNHO, this is a real good home schedule next year on both an entertaining/interesting level and importance of winning the MAC East (If Miami can do it, we can do it) level.

Some think getting our butts kicked by BCS teams is an indication of where the program is...maybe. I believe a better indication is how we do against other non-BCS D-1A teams. Playing FIU at home will allow us to better measure our program in the world of reality.

Please tell me that you are joking. Nobody cares about FIU or VMI. That is a joke of a home non conference schedule. A gauge of our program needs to be against the Indiana's of the world. We already play garbage in the MAC. Measures against other garbage teams does nothing to get fans interested.

Please tell me that you are joking. Nobody cares about FIU or VMI. That is a joke of a home non conference schedule. A gauge of our program needs to be against the Indiana's of the world. We already play garbage in the MAC. Measures against other garbage teams does nothing to get fans interested.

That's the difference between "serious football fans" and "front-runners". Serious football fans (i.e. people who find the time to post on football message boards online) will probably like to see real football skill and talent come in to a stadium. Front-runners (like most Ohioans) want to see wins. If they hear from their 'knowledgeable football friends' that the Zips ought to win this weekend, they'll be out there for the game and the after-win party. BCS programs are not going to draw in Akron (although they'd draw out more of ZipsNation). WINS will draw out people around here.

That's the difference between "serious football fans" and "front-runners". Serious football fans (i.e. people who find the time to post on football message boards online) will probably like to see real football skill and talent come in to a stadium. Front-runners (like most Ohioans) want to see wins. If they hear from their 'knowledgeable football friends' that the Zips ought to win this weekend, they'll be out there for the game and the after-win party. BCS programs are not going to draw in Akron (although they'd draw out more of ZipsNation). WINS will draw out people around here.

Problem is you won't get too many good BCS teams to come in when they look at the attendance at the INFO. Those teams want money to travel. If revenue in the AD is a problem,Akron can't provide much of a guarantee to incoming teams.

So you think the Zips can beat VMI and FIU?