Future OOC Schedule

GP1

According to a letter I received today as a season ticket holder who attended all six games, we play Can't, Ohio, Temple, Central Michigan, FIU, and Virginia Military Institute at home next year.

IMNHO, this is a real good home schedule next year on both an entertaining/interesting level and importance of winning the MAC East (If Miami can do it, we can do it) level.

Some think getting our butts kicked by BCS teams is an indication of where the program is...maybe. I believe a better indication is how we do against other non-BCS D-1A teams. Playing FIU at home will allow us to better measure our program in the world of reality.

Please tell me that you are joking. Nobody cares about FIU or VMI. That is a joke of a home non conference schedule. A gauge of our program needs to be against the Indiana's of the world. We already play garbage in the MAC. Measures against other garbage teams does nothing to get fans interested.

The VMI game should be a win and we should guarantee one win a year against I-AA teams.

FIU is a game we can win. If we don't, it tells us we are not as good as a whatever league they are in team. It is a bad sign if we get run by these guys....far worse than getting destroyed by a Big Ten team when half of the player on their team really aren't interested.

We are playing an Indiana next year in Cincy. Do you really think a BCS team is going to come to The Big Dialer when we draw about 5,000?

I don't want guaranteed wins, but I do want to see how the Zips compete against a like-level school with a realistic shot at winning.

Losing against BCS level teams time and again does nothing to get fans interested either.

According to a letter I received today as a season ticket holder who attended all six games, we play Can't, Ohio, Temple, Central Michigan, FIU, and Virginia Military Institute at home next year.

IMNHO, this is a real good home schedule next year on both an entertaining/interesting level and importance of winning the MAC East (If Miami can do it, we can do it) level.

Some think getting our butts kicked by BCS teams is an indication of where the program is...maybe. I believe a better indication is how we do against other non-BCS D-1A teams. Playing FIU at home will allow us to better measure our program in the world of reality.

Please tell me that you are joking. Nobody cares about FIU or VMI. That is a joke of a home non conference schedule. A gauge of our program needs to be against the Indiana's of the world. We already play garbage in the MAC. Measures against other garbage teams does nothing to get fans interested.

1. Nobody cared about Indiana.

2. Nobody cared about Syracuse.

3. "MAC Garbage" Temple defeated Big East Champion Connecticut this year.

4. Negativism for the sake of being negative needs to stop on this board.

1. Nobody cared about Indiana.

2. Nobody cared about Syracuse.

3. "MAC Garbage" Temple defeated Big East Champion Connecticut this year.

4. Negativism for the sake of being negative needs to stop on this board.

I think FIU and VMI are two good games. Sure I wish we could have gotten a Minnesota or a Wake Forest or another lower ranked BCS school to come here but we need to win games , win fans and win recruits. We can beat FIU and VMI and should...especially at home, then if we win all of our MAC home games, we are are bowl eligible. We win ONE road MAC game and then we end up 7-5, 5-3 and possibly in contention for the MAC East.

The more chances for wins the better until we get better talent in here. Once we get talent in here and a solid system then we can go out and worry about bigger named opponents coming here. I doubt people go to the Info to see Indiana in action! They go to see us beat Indiana and if we suck like this year then we have no chance to beat an Indiana...no one wants to see us get hammered by a bigger school but if we have a good chance to beat the bigger school then yes, I believe it will draw interest.

• 2 months later...
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fiusports/2...-9-on-espn.html

We're getting jerked around by freaking Florida International University.

Either that, or somebody screwed up majorly when making our schedule.

The question is: was there a buyout clause in the contract? Or, did the contract actually get signed?

Seems to me its time for the AD and/or HC to fess up.

I-coach has another muck up?

The contract better have been signed. You shouldn't announce your schedule without four signed contracts in hand. There is probably a buyout clause, assuming they signed. But what does this do to our schedule?

There has to be a major mistake here by someone. I'd imagine, even with a buyout, there is a date deadline for doing so. We're less than 7 months from kickoff for that game. I'm wondering what the heck we do here...two 1AA teams? That'll virtually guarantee no bowl (not that I thought we'd be making one this year...)

Either we get a bye in the second week or hopefully we move a MAC game to Sept 10th.
I would hate to see a bye in September. Optimum tailgating.

Allow me to do some optimization for all of us. Mostly, this post is directed to our Athletic Director. Move the current Sept 10 game to whenever is most convenient and put Can't in that spot. I used to love when we played Can't the first home game or at least as close to the first game as possible. I hate night college football games, but play that one at 7:00. Let folks have some fun in good weather. There is so little good weather left come Sept it would be a great event. I might even buy a plane ticket to go to that game and see The Big Dialer for the first time.

Either we get a bye in the second week or hopefully we move a MAC game to Sept 10th.

Allow me to do some optimization for all of us. Mostly, this post is directed to our Athletic Director. Move the current Sept 10 game to whenever is most convenient and put Can't in that spot. I used to love when we played Can't the first home game or at least as close to the first game as possible. I hate night college football games, but play that one at 7:00. Let folks have some fun in good weather. There is so little good weather left come Sept it would be a great event. I might even buy a plane ticket to go to that game and see The Big Dialer for the first time.

Season Opener vs. Can't = Guaranteed sellout + Guaranteed Hype. Don't wait until midseason when everyone realizes both teams suck. Capitalize on the rivalry early when everyones hopes are fresh on both sides.

Season Opener vs. Can't = Guaranteed sellout + Guaranteed Hype. Don't wait until midseason when everyone realizes both teams suck. Capitalize on the rivalry early when everyones hopes are fresh on both sides.

I agree all the way around. Make it Ken+, and make it a night game. Besides bringing a big-time marquis opponent in here (which isn't going to happen) it's the only opportunity we have to get a 25k+ crowd in there anytime soon.

Don't wait until midseason when everyone realizes both teams suck. Capitalize on the rivalry early when everyones hopes are fresh on both sides.

Exactly. This is spot on.

I think many of us have dreams of a meaningful late-season rivalry game w/ K.e.n.t; last game of the year, MAC East title & trip to Detroit for the MAC Championship game on the line, bowl implications. But after being an avid Zips fan for 20 years now, and still waiting for that scenario to materialize... Our best crowds are certainly when we play them right-off-the-bat in the MAC.

Absolutely. In '03, we opened the season with the flushes and had 25,000+ on a Thursday night for two teams coming off losing seasons. That game was played in the crumbling Rubber Bowl (one of the last games without tarps over the endzone seating). You can't tell me we can't get a sellout in the Info.

The Divine Intervention Game always brings back bad memories.

Tell me about it.

Giving up 17 points in the final 7 minutes to lose. We couldn't even string together a couple of first downs when it counted.

I have one worse though because I had to live it. When I was on the team we lost to a I-AA DE State 52-27. Probably the worst day in the D-1A era (th Gardner Web loss last year is probably third). They had three pick 6s and a blocked punt in the endzone dor a TD. That day will always be remembered by Zips historians as Black Saturday.

Giving up 17 points in the final 7 minutes to lose. We couldn't even string together a couple of first downs when it counted.

I have one worse though because I had to live it. When I was on the team we lost to a I-AA DE State 52-27. Probably the worst day in the D-1A era (th Gardner Web loss last year is probably third). They had three pick 6s and a blocked punt in the endzone dor a TD. That day will always be remembered by Zips historians as Black Saturday.

I didn't literally mean tell me about it since I lived through it, but thanks for the refresher :(

I played in some bad losses, but thankfully I was never part of losing to a 1-AA school, though we did let Liberty jump out on us 21-0 before crushing them. Losing that bad had to be embarrassing, to say the least. Wouldn't have wanted to be in that locker room.

The Divine Intervention Game always brings back bad memories.

Tell me about it.

That game (Delaware State) was possibly the most surreal of all the games I've seen at the Rubber Bowl. From a fan's perspective, it looked like the Zips truly believed that all they had to do to win that day was to show up. Getting smoked by a team from the lower than lowly MEAC......had to have been Gerry's low point at UA.

I disagree about having Can't State early in the season with one caveat.

When the Zips are struggling and won't be competing for a title, and you're sure of it .. which hopefully won't be often. Then I say have the game early.

However, when the Zips are where they belong, near the top of the East every year and in the Bowl conversation .. there's no better way to get to the title game or firm up a bowl bid than to have the opportunity to pound your rival, who generally sucks at football, at your house in the final game of the year, lined up with the other rival games in college football.

If the season doesn't have potential .. and you're scrambling to sell any tickets .. but the game early. But when this program is where we all want it to be, and it will be soon .. the Wagon Wheel game belongs at the end of the season.

Go Zips!

• 1 month later...
@Penn State, Sept 6th 2014

So in the future, our schedule looks something like this:

2011: @OSU, @UC, VMI, FIU

2012: @Tennessee, UCF, @ FIU

2013: @UCF, LA-Lafayette

2014: JMU, @PSU

2015: @VT, @LA-Lafayette

Ugghhhh...I am sick and tired of playing Penn State! Play a different Big 10(12) school so I can travel to a new stadium. Play Minnesota, Mich St, Northwestern, Illinois, Iowa, somebody please! No more Indiana, PSU or Ohio State, blah.