ITZ's Choice for Head Coach

InTheZone

Bowden  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

http://www.terrybowden.com/Home.htmlGo get him Luis. Not only is he a "wow" hire, he's tremendously succesful as a head coach, a high energy guy, a great recruiter, is a former assistant coach at Akron, and is a great motivator. Also, and most importantly to me, he has a history of quick turnarounds for programs. Want to get the Akron community excited about Zips football again?? Go get him, and pay him.BOWDEN'S RECORD AS A HEAD COACH: 120-53-2aa_bowden.jpg

Edited by InTheZone

http://www.terrybowden.com/Home.htmlGo get him Luis. Not only is he a "wow" hire, he's tremendously succesful as a head coach, a high energy guy, a great recruiter, is a former assistant coach at Akron, and is a great motivator. Also, and most importantly to me, he has a history of quick turnarounds for programs. Want to get the Akron community excited about Zips football again?? Go get him, and pay him.aa_bowden.jpg
Good choice.But can The University of Akron:" Go get him, and pay him."Does this link indicate the "real" price?http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2...-somebodys-job/

A truly mixed career, and one that's not simple to analyze. On the plus side, he has big name recognition and some history with UA (under Faust). His best season was his first at Auburn in 1992, replacing coach Pat Dye and finishing 11-0 with players recruited by Dye.But he left Auburn mid-season four years later with a 1-5 record amidst "criticism for recruiting woes, off-the-field issues that resulted in player discipline, and in his relationships with Auburn supporters." ( Wikipedia link )Over the past 11 years, he's applied for several high-profile coaching positions but has been passed over, including for his West Virginia "dream job." In the meantime he has been a TV analyst, motivational speaker and small college coach.This could be a major roll of the dice -- one that no other D1 school has been willing to take for more than a decade.

http://www.terrybowden.com/Home.htmlGo get him Luis. Not only is he a "wow" hire, he's tremendously succesful as a head coach, a high energy guy, a great recruiter, is a former assistant coach at Akron, and is a great motivator. Also, and most importantly to me, he has a history of quick turnarounds for programs. Want to get the Akron community excited about Zips football again?? Go get him, and pay him.aa_bowden.jpg
Good choice.But can The University of Akron:" Go get him, and pay him."Does this link indicate the "real" price?http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2...-somebodys-job/
A school like Memphis was paying Tommy West close to 1 million a year. Granted they have a pretty big time booster in Fred Smith of FedEx to finance that, but the way I look at it is what is paying a coach 1 million a year to fill up a 65 million dollar facility every game? We get Bowden in here and we sell 15,000 season tickets within two months, guaranteed. Bowden throws 2 million out there but he'll come for a million. We've invested money to improve every other aspect of life on this campus, why not invest in a coach who can do more to promote the U of A brand than any new building or academic program ever could? Pay the man and get him here... tomorrow.

A truly mixed career, and one that's not simple to analyze. On the plus side, he has big name recognition and some history with UA (under Faust). His best season was his first at Auburn in 1992, replacing coach Pat Dye and finishing 11-0 with players recruited by Dye.But he left Auburn mid-season four years later with a 1-5 record amidst "criticism for recruiting woes, off-the-field issues that resulted in player discipline, and in his relationships with Auburn supporters." ( Wikipedia link )Over the past 11 years, he's applied for several high-profile coaching positions but has been passed over, including for his West Virginia "dream job." In the meantime he has been a TV analyst, motivational speaker and small college coach.This could be a major roll of the dice -- one that no other D1 school has been willing to take for more than a decade.
The man has had offers, he turned them down. He chose to step into a good situation at UNA to get his feet wet again. If you look at his record at every school he's been at, there's been a quick turnaround and success. Sure he left Auburn at 1-5, but the season before that he was in the SEC Championship for craps sake!! If you can find me another coach out there with more wins as a head coach, as much name recognition, and the motivational abilities of Bowden, that would even be willing to look at Akron, I'll concede the point. He's our best possible option and is head and shoulders above anyone else we could possibly think about in terms of experience as a head coach and the excitement he would bring to the program. If we're gonna get this community off their couch to support this program, we don't need another "Who's that?" hire.

And if we want to get a coach who we need money to get, we have to get people with money involved. What Akronites do we know of that have money and have shown support for the Zips in the past? LBJ is the first name that comes to mind. Contact him and give him a seat at the table in this coaching search.

And if we want to get a coach who we need money to get, we have to get people with money involved. What Akronites do we know of that have money and have shown support for the Zips in the past? LBJ is the first name that comes to mind. Contact him and give him a seat at the table in this coaching search.
sorry we don't need a roundballer picking the next f.ball coach...james has made some VERY questionable decisions about some of the people he has/had around him...one of them was in prison more than once...believe me i know...that guy was on parole...you can't have a lot loose money tossed around a college program...eventually somebody outside will drop a dime...if bowden has too much baggage leave him...why would he come to akron again anyway?...he appaers to have bigger fish to fry...there are a number of more solid coaches with less baggage out there...one would assume the new AD has someone or 2 in mind as fast as these last guys were shown the door...

I don't think Bowden is the least bit realistic for UA but hell yes I would love to see him here. You all know that if he were hired it would be BIG news, ESPN material splashing around in college football for a while. UA would also garner much more national press coverage simply by virtue of name recognition with the guy. Such a hiring would constitute a gigantic middle finger to the rest of the disgusting, derelict MAC. It would say "We are about to rocket past all of you pathetic Rust Belt losers. Eat our dust and our dung, we are way too good for the likes of Miami and Can't State." I'm getting excited already at the thought of a new regime, new systems, a NORMAL defense. I can dream.....

I don't think Bowden is the least bit realistic for UA but hell yes I would love to see him here. You all know that if he were hired it would be BIG news, ESPN material splashing around in college football for a while. UA would also garner much more national press coverage simply by virtue of name recognition with the guy. Such a hiring would constitute a gigantic middle finger to the rest of the disgusting, derelict MAC. It would say "We are about to rocket past all of you pathetic Rust Belt losers. Eat our dust and our dung, we are way too good for the likes of Miami and Can't State." I'm getting excited already at the thought of a new regime, new systems, a NORMAL defense. I can dream.....
Bowden is very realistic for UA. He's coaching at a D2 school, has no 1-A offers as of this minute, and would be walking into a great situation in UA to build his D1 resume back up. I'm telling you, make the commitment and throw 700-900k at the guy and he'll be here, and the national press UA receives not to mention the suite and ticket sales will cover that salary in YEAR ONE.

What are you people smoking? LBJ doesn't give a damn about Zips football.Let's not give him a seat anywhere!! He can buy one.

Bowden is very realistic for UA. He's coaching at a D2 school, has no 1-A offers as of this minute, and would be walking into a great situation in UA to build his D1 resume back up. I'm telling you, make the commitment and throw 700-900k at the guy and he'll be here, and the national press UA receives not to mention the suite and ticket sales will cover that salary in YEAR ONE.
Glen Mason is available!!!

The man has had offers, he turned them down.
I found some references to schools that turned him down, but not to schools that he turned down. Do you have any specifics on that?In any case, if we are talking the amount of money it would take to get him to UA, that opens a whole new world of potential coaches who would consider UA for the big bucks. But why even consider a big bucks coach if UA doesn't have big bucks to offer?Is this discussion realistic or pie in the sky?

I found some references to schools that turned him down, but not to schools that he turned down. Do you have any specifics on that?In any case, if we are talking the amount of money it would take to get him to UA, that opens a whole new world of potential coaches who would consider UA for the big bucks. But why even consider a big bucks coach if UA doesn't have big bucks to offer?Is this discussion realistic or pie in the sky?
That's the conundrum. Either you spend the big bucks and upgrade the candidate pool, or hope you find a diamond n the rough that doesn't mind being payed peanuts for a few years.You want to tell the MAC that you're ready to leapfrog them permanently, you spend the money like Temple and Ohio are doing. You want to stay in the MAC and risk everything that the stadium is supposed to bring just to save a few bucks in the near term, then put away the wallets.

That's the conundrum. Either you spend the big bucks and upgrade the candidate pool, or hope you find a diamond n the rough that doesn't mind being payed peanuts for a few years.You want to tell the MAC that you're ready to leapfrog them permanently, you spend the money like Temple and Ohio are doing. You want to stay in the MAC and risk everything that the stadium is supposed to bring just to save a few bucks in the near term, then put away the wallets.
I'm all for upgrading our pool of candidates, but let's get this soccer team hooked up first. Spend what you can to get the best coach for that money, but get the soccer team and Porter a new stadium. However, if you have enough money for both, then by all means use it. Let's just keep the soccer team happy while getting this football team back on track at a reasonable price.

I'm all for upgrading our pool of candidates, but let's get this soccer team hooked up first. Spend what you can to get the best coach for that money, but get the soccer team and Porter a new stadium. However, if you have enough money for both, then by all means use it. Let's just keep the soccer team happy while getting this football team back on track at a reasonable price.
Love the soccer team, but soccer is never going to put 30,000 butts in the seats and give this University national exposure... it's a secondary sport. We gain more national mentions winning the MAC and a secondary bowl game in football than a national championship in soccer, and it gets the community talking about the University a lot more. The athletic department has got to stay focused on football and basketball, and if it's a choice between bringing in a great football coach and paying him or building a soccer stadium we bring in the football coach.

I'm as much for the soccer team going all the way as anyone else, but when is the last time that a soccer team brought in a crowd of 30k+ (at an American college)? Football is the big ticket, at least in this country anyway. I hope soccer draws awesome crowds, but it's kind of like saying why doesn't the university invest a ton of money into a men's curling program. The money is in football first and men's basketball second. Get the draw for football and the subsequent fall sports like soccer will benefit from the money football brings in. Of course as far as my basketball obsessed brain is concerned, Zips basketball should be getting all the money all the time! :D

I lived in Alabama when Terry Bowden was the HC at Auburn. He was horrible after his first year (with Pat Dye's recruits). Not only no, but HELL NO, in my opinion. I also vote to flush Zips football altogether (new stadium be damned) if this hire is another one done at the expense of basketball (like the D-IA/Faust hire) and soccer. Sorry, but I'm for putting money into the areas where we are successful before we dump much more money down the football hole. I loved seeing Domenik Hixon's catch to win the MACC and going to the Motor City bowl. But, the trip to Portland last Spring and our current trek in the NCAA Men's Soccer Tournament are just as important (if not moreso).

I'm sorry but i like soccer and all and i'm completely behind them but lets be real. I would trade a bowl game for a soccer national championship straight up. Football/Basketball are the sports that truly matter and lets keep focusing on them first. Soccer is getting it's new stadium and it will be fine, the money it costs to keep our soccer program at the top is peanuts.

Football is the biggest sport, like it or not. It is the only sport we have that can draw over 5,000 fans to an event, period. It is the engine that drives the athletic department. If this hire comes at a slight cost to other sports, it will have to happen. If football is successful it will more than pay back anything that might have been skimmed off the top of another sport's budget.

Second thread in a row for this comment: Yes, I CAN spell facetious. However, I'm afraid if LeBron gets involved we'll end up with Maverick Carter coaching the team. :D

Regarding the making of programmatic choices, the university has already made the decision that it can walk and chew gum at the same time. The Info was built and needs rear ends in the seats. There has already been substantial discussion of a new UA/City of Akron stadium for the basketball team, has there not? Also, isn't a new soccer stadium already planned and budgeted for? The current step in the growth of the athletic department is the hiring of a new head football coach and I hope that UA plans to go the way of Temple and pays a coach and staff salaries that will lead to better times PLUS some stability. There is no reason that UA should spend so much on such a beautiful stadium and subject itself to the coaching carousel garbage that MAC teams deal with year in and year out. Pay a head coach at least 550-600K. I'd actually love to see the top three or four MAC teams (assuming Akron can ascend from the crapper and be one of those top teams) paying in the 700-900K range, which is where the bottom Big Ten programs and the MWC seem to be. You want quality football, and most importantly FANS who will pay to watch your product? You have to spend money to make money. Those top three MAC programs will then be positioning themselves for something better down the road, whether that be a shot at a better conference or just ongoing dominance of the MAC and meaningful rivalries amongst themselves. Locals have known for decades that Akron football was small time and moribund. Now is the time to change that by showing a commitment to the program, and in the real world commitment comes down to cold, hard cash.