Whats going on?

jaycevs

I've seen coaching rumors on everyone including NAIA teams, but heard nothing at all about Akron. Are we bringing anyone in soon? Were we waiting until the SEC title game was over to go after Meyer or Saban? Anyone heard who are actual candidates besides what the journalists want to see?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Akron has sought permission to speak to Richmond head coach Mike London.
Even though Virginia is going to hire him today, I like the type of guy we are interested in...defensive guy with head coaching experience.I am also glad that we are not only looking at local guys who some posters think we need because they can "recruit this area" I think that's hog wash.

Even though Virginia is going to hire him today, I like the type of guy we are interested in...defensive guy with head coaching experience.I am also glad that we are not only looking at local guys who some posters think we need because they can "recruit this area" I think that's hog wash.
I am telling you, go after Mickey Matthews of James Madison.

We're out of the loop...tell it to this guy:http://zipsnation.org/forums//index.php?s=...ost&p=99350

I think Mickey Matthews would be a great hire!

As of noon today, the AD has no candidates that are close to being hired. He has fired all of the assistants and anyone that can keep the verbal commitments in tact. The underclassmen have no off season work out to take home with them, because he fired Dan Bailey the strength & conditioning coach. Kids on the team are reaching out to coaches that recruited them in high school, so I would anticipate a mass exodus after grades come out. There is no right way to fire a staff, but this dude messed up badly; we will feel the repercussions from this move for years. Tom you screwed yourself pretty good on this one....You acted like you knew what you were doing, but in fact you didn't!

As of noon today, the AD has no candidates that are close to being hired. He has fired all of the assistants and anyone that can keep the verbal commitments in tact. The underclassmen have no off season work out to take home with them, because he fired Dan Bailey the strength & conditioning coach. Kids on the team are reaching out to coaches that recruited them in high school, so I would anticipate a mass exodus after grades come out. There is no right way to fire a staff, but this dude messed up badly; we will feel the repercussions from this move for years. Tom you screwed yourself pretty good on this one....You acted like you knew what you were doing, but in fact you didn't!
This is no different from what happens whenever any coach is released. Well, the S&C position is separate, and maybe he should have had someone ready to come in before he pushed him out the door, but I can't see that position as being a member of the football team anyway, since he works with the entire dept.

Not what I am hearing at all. Kids are excited the university is committed to putting a winning product on the field. Kids who were going to work out over the holidays are the same ones who would have worked out had the coach assigned them something. The others will eat cookies with the same fervor regardless of whether or not the position is filled. It is officially the offseason now for all of a month or two for the players before off season workouts officially begin. They are looking forward to playing Left 4 Dead 2 and Modern Warfare 2.

The underclassmen have no off season work out to take home with them
Rump, you have to win as the most doom and gloom, the sky is falling poster on the football board. You do realize that we have only had TEN division I victories that aren't Ken+ or EMU (who hardly count as Div I) in the past FOUR years. (Read that sentence back a few times until you realize how crummy that is, then continue.) So what ever we were doing, it wasn't working! You want an assignment? I'll give you one. Tell every guy on defense to start studying the 4-3. Tell the kickers to practice high booming kicks. Do this, & we'll double our wins next year.

A lot of speculation in the blogosphere that Mangino could be coming to Akron.I stand by what I said about not wanting any coach that was fired from a BCS school.
I would love some Mangino action around here... Akron would be a great image restorer for him.20081105babymangino.jpg+1 for Mangino Baby+1 for molester-stache+1 for no more coddling our team+5 a creative offense

A lot of speculation in the blogosphere that Mangino could be coming to Akron.I stand by what I said about not wanting any coach that was fired from a BCS school.
I would love some Mangino action around here... Akron would be a great image restorer for him.20081105babymangino.jpg
I think Mangino got a raw deal at Kansas. A few bad apples trashed his last season. If you look at the body of his work, he was a miracle worker @ Kansas. I can easily forgive the last 7 games of his Kansas career if he wants to come to UA. Fat ass or not, the dude can coach.

What about that Mickey Matthews clip from the CAA media day is supposed to impress me?
I was just putting a face with a name for ZN. What coach can impress being interviewed now a days? They use one cliche after another so as to not say the wrong thing. Ask me any question about Zips football, and I'll answer it like JD used to do. I can tell you his answer before you ask the question.

That is totally an assinine comment. What do you thinks happens at other schools when they fire the head coach? Don't worry, we will have a coach in place in the very near future.

very near future.
Like today? Or maybe the end of the week? Or some time next year. Or maybe we'll just be a player-run organization next season.We haven't seen anything beyond what gets posted here on this website. Other schools, even the other "low-profile" schools have rumors running left and right on the "scoop" sites.

20081105babymangino.jpgCheck out the bottom of this article.
As the coaching carousel continues to spin, there are a couple of openings that might appeal to Mangino because of his background in the area. Youngstown State’s Jon Heacock resigned last week. Mangino started his coaching career as an assistant at Youngstown State under future Ohio State coach Jim Tressel.Also, Akron seeks a replacement for J.D. Brookhart.Texas coach Mack Brown said he would endorse Mangino’s return to the sideline.“To see the job he did at Kansas was phenomenal,” Brown said. “Jim Tressel and Mike Gottfried (former Kansas coach) are very good friends of mine, and they think the world of Mark. I know he’ll have another chance somewhere.”
Hard to find two recommendations in college football better than Tressel and Brown. I second that he got a raw deal motion

Raw deal or not, I am hesitant to take in a former BCS coach.Can anyone name just three coaches who were fired from a BCS school and then were successful at another FBS school?
You don't need to look any further than the MAC East to see former Nebraska HC Frank Solich going to multiple bowl games with OU.BTW - I can name you two young, "up-and-coming" BCS-level assistant coaches who coached at UA and couldn't win - Lee Owens and JD Brookhart.