Whats going on?

jaycevs

Raw deal or not, I am hesitant to take in a former BCS coach.Can anyone name just three coaches who were fired from a BCS school and then were successful at another FBS school?
You don't need to look any further than the MAC East to see former Nebraska HC Frank Solich going to multiple bowl games with OU.BTW - I can name you two young, "up-and-coming" BCS-level assistant coaches who coached at UA and couldn't win - Lee Owens and JD Brookhart.
That's one. Anyone else?I don't want any more BCS assistants. That route doesn't work at a school like Akron. These coaches come in used to having BCS funds to get whatever they want and which ever recruit they want, then they come here and can't handle having to work within limits and not having the media to back you up.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raw deal or not, I am hesitant to take in a former BCS coach. Can anyone name just three coaches who were fired from a BCS school and then were successful at another FBS school?
If your a good coach, your a good coach, you don't change over night. Spurrier left Florida and was successful with SC, Saben left LSU and is successful with Alabama. You just can't say because someone was fired, we can't interview him, especially at Akron if you have a chance to hire someone that was successful as a head coach on a bigger stage.PS I hope you realize there is no "formula" to hire a head coach, or everybody would be successful.

Raw deal or not, I am hesitant to take in a former BCS coach.Can anyone name just three coaches who were fired from a BCS school and then were successful at another FBS school?
190px-MarkMangino.jpgMangino head calmly looks into your soul and calms you...Plus... if the Browns keep Mangini... think of the hijinks those two could pull in the Northern Ohio area. Think of the potential for Mangino/Mangini themed who's-on-first routines

I'm not sure what the definition of success is and I'm not sure of the answers to the questions below.Was Nutt successful at Arkansas before Mississippi? He did have some good years there I believe. Was Newheisel (sp?) successful at Washington before UCLA? Did he have some winning seasons at Colorado? Was he fired at any of them?I think the point is this. Coaches are hired to get fired. Just because a guy gets fired at a BCS school may not mean the guy is a bad coach. When a coach takes over a program, the previous coach has probably been fired (especially at the BCS level) so he is not walking into the best of circumstances. Turning around a loser at the BCS level is much more difficult than turning around a loser at the MAC level because it takes a lot of really good players to win at the BCS level. A few good players can get you over the hump in the MAC.Rodriguez is going to get fired at Michigan after next year. Does that mean he was actually a bad coach at WVU?Bobby Bowden basically was fired from Florida State. Does that make him a bad coach? He will be in the Hall of Fame some day.Lou Holtz was fired from South Carolina. Was he a bad coach? He won at Arkansas.... He also won at South Carolina...... He won a National Championship at Notre Dame.Dennis Erickson will get fired from ASU before too long. Was he a bad coach at Miami?

I don't want any more BCS assistants. That route doesn't work at a school like Akron.
Are you serious? Are you listening to the InfoCision grass intern again? Or the guy that reported Patrick Nicely's broken ankle?Where was Nick Saban before Toledo? Gary Pinkel before Toledo? Urban Meyer before BG? Randy Walker before Miami? Brady Hoke before Ball State?There are a million examples of BCS assistants who became highly, HIGHLY successful MAC coaches.

Just because a coach was good at one point does not mean that they are a good coach at a later point.Nutt had some good years at Arkansas and is decent at Ole Miss, but it's too early to say whether he brought along the same problems that forced him out. Neuheisel was fired from Washington for betting. He hasn't had a winning season at UCLA. Holtz took South Carolina to a grand total of two bowls in six seasons. He was a bad coach for them after retiring from Notre Dame. Rodriguez was never fired (yet), but he hasn't been successful since he went to another school. Erickson is in the same boat as Rodriguez. The only one of those coaches that you could say is successful after being re-hired is Nutt. It's not a good track record. If a coach is successful at some place in the past but left under bad circumstances, odds are that they will not be successful at their new job.

Sorry, guys, but it is a solid thumbs down on Mangino.I am a regular in a chat room on PalTalk that is dominated by SEC fans. There is a sprinklingof Big 12 fans as well. None of them would trade a dead horsefly for Mangino.I still most favor Chuck Martin of Grand Valley State (63-5) or untested, but UA loved Luke Fickel.

I don't want any more BCS assistants. That route doesn't work at a school like Akron.
Are you serious? Are you listening to the InfoCision grass intern again? Or the guy that reported Patrick Nicely's broken ankle?Where was Nick Saban before Toledo? Gary Pinkel before Toledo? Urban Meyer before BG? Randy Walker before Miami? Brady Hoke before Ball State?There are a million examples of BCS assistants who became highly, HIGHLY successful MAC coaches.
AHA. UAkronkid suckered you in there Capt. He said could you name JUST three coaches, and you could not.

Just because a coach was good at one point does not mean that they are a good coach at a later point.
Aren't they always the same coach and the circumstances around them change?The guy that just got fired from Colorado was considered brilliant when he was at Boise State. Is he all of the sudden a bad coach or did he go to a school that was struggling (on and off the field) and was asking their coach to both recruit choir boys and win? Now he is finding out that a team full of choir boys and winning don't go together. My guess is five years from now the graduation rate at Colorado will be lower than what it is this year because alumni care more about winning than graduation rates. I'm actually of the opinion that most coaches are very good at what they do and are at least smart at the Xs and Os of football. JD understood the offense and defense he was putting on the field, but the problem was the offense and defensive strategies were destined for failure.I guess to follow your logic to it's extreme we would conclude. Almost all coaches eventually get fired. Since all coaches get fired, they all have to be bad coaches. Hence, there are no good coaches. I just don't buy that. I think the real mistake colleges make is they are always looking to make a splash instead of looking to win. The Zips need to find a winner.

Sorry, guys, but it is a solid thumbs down on Mangino.I am a regular in a chat room on PalTalk that is dominated by SEC fans. There is a sprinklingof Big 12 fans as well. None of them would trade a dead horsefly for Mangino.I still most favor Chuck Martin of Grand Valley State (63-5) or untested, but UA loved Luke Fickel.
Mangino had a winning overall record at Kansas...something no one had done for the last 43 years. He led them to 4 bowl games in his 8 seasons, winning three of them. As recently as 2007, he finished the season 12-1, beating Virginia Tech in the Orange Bowl. How does a school like Akron say "No thanks" to a guy with that resume'? They don't.If he wants to coach the Zips, I'm renting space at the Blimp hanger out by the Rubber Bowl...sliding open the door to allow his enormous ass to enter...and conducting a serious interview. If he can provide a plausible plan for getting Zips football turned around, like he did at Kansas, and provide a plausible explanation for his teams 0-7 finish, I'm asking the UA Board of Trustees for permission to triple the coach's food per diem, and offer the guy a 5-year contract.

To foster a "take no prisoners" attitude in college football, it's only logical to turn to prisoners -- prison league football players. The best coach for recruiting the best players would obviously be a tough warden. A football coach's salary would represent a huge increase for a warden, so the first college to do this could have it's pick of the best. UA could be a leader in this area.A version of shock probation could be enacted whereby outstanding football-playing inmates would be released to become UA student athletes, with UA taking responsibility for their rehabilitation. These players wouldn't even need much game coaching. Have the former warden gather them together in a room before each game and tell them: Just do it ..... and don't get caught. They would instinctively know what to do to beat any team of college pansies senseless, and how to get away with it.A side benefit would be the mixing of prison and college cultures, which would help prepare innocent suburban nerds for the real dog-eat-dog world they're going to have to face when they graduate. This is an area where UA is currently sorely lacking.

If he wants to coach the Zips, I'm renting space at the Blimp hanger out by the Rubber Bowl...sliding open the door to allow his enormous ass to enter...and conducting a serious interview. If he can provide a plausible plan for getting Zips football turned around, like he did at Kansas, and provide a plausible explanation for his teams 0-7 finish, I'm asking the UA Board of Trustees for permission to triple the coach's food per diem, and offer the guy a 5-year contract.
He won't come here after reading zipsnation :(BTW the post made me laugh though. Man I'm terrible.

I think Mangino got a raw deal a KU, he was winning games at an impossible place to win and all of a sudden in a down year these allegations come out. Sorry, but a lot of players need to get their ass kicked a little bit, I dont think it would hurt our bunch here at UA. Could that hurt some recruiting, maybe, but do we want soft players anyways or do we want toughness. Also, if he wasn't giant I don't think he would be getting this bad pub or even forced out at KU possibly.

To foster a "take no prisoners" attitude in college football, it's only logical to turn to prisoners -- prison league football players. The best coach for recruiting the best players would obviously be a tough warden. A football coach's salary would represent a huge increase for a warden, so the first college to do this could have it's pick of the best. UA could be a leader in this area.A version of shock probation could be enacted whereby outstanding football-playing inmates would be released to become UA student athletes, with UA taking responsibility for their rehabilitation. These players wouldn't even need much game coaching. Have the former warden gather them together in a room before each game and tell them: Just do it ..... and don't get caught. They would instinctively know what to do to beat any team of college pansies senseless, and how to get away with it.A side benefit would be the mixing of prison and college cultures, which would help prepare innocent suburban nerds for the real dog-eat-dog world they're going to have to face when they graduate. This is an area where UA is currently sorely lacking.
This is some of the best input offered in this thread. Your plan worked for years in basketball at Cincinnati, but they ended up firing Huggins anyway.

It works in the SEC and it worked in The Longest Yard.

Your plan worked for years in basketball at Cincinnati, but they ended up firing Huggins anyway.
Coaches are hired to get fired. Eventually, Huggins would have been fired for some reason or another.

GOT A SCOOP!http://www2.kusports.com/news/2009/dec/07/...d-coaching-job/
Kansas University offensive coordinator Ed Warinner interviewed today for the head coaching job at the University of Akron, a source with knowledge of the situation told the Journal-World.
Thoughts?
Of the coordinators on the various lists, I like his resume. I believe he got his masters at UA and was a play caller for several years...Also, not coming from a major BCS program, but a BCS program is who I want, if you go the coordinator route.What is all the talk about the tosu coordinator? He has great defenses against the MAC, New Mexico State and YSU...His defense generally gets schredded vs. the Florida's, LSU's, and USC's....

http://www.kansas.com/sports/jayhawks/story/1088277.htmlWarinner interviews with Akron — Kansas offensive coordinator Ed Warinner interviewed Monday for the vacant Akron head coaching position, a source told The Eagle. Warinner, one of three finalists this season for the American Football Coaches Association's national assistant coach of the year award, has coached the KU offense to the top three total yardage seasons in school history in three years on the job. Warinner and Akron make sense for each other. Warinner is a native of nearby Strasburg, Ohio, who attended nearby Mount Union College from 1979-83. He served as an Akron assistant coach in 1984 while working on his master's degree, which he received in 1985. Throughout his career, Warinner has maintained deep recruiting ties in Ohio.

GOT A SCOOP!http://www2.kusports.com/news/2009/dec/07/...d-coaching-job/
Kansas University offensive coordinator Ed Warinner interviewed today for the head coaching job at the University of Akron, a source with knowledge of the situation told the Journal-World.
Thoughts?
Of the coordinators on the various lists, I like his resume. I believe he got his masters at UA and was a play caller for several years...Also, not coming from a major BCS program, but a BCS program is who I want, if you go the coordinator route.What is all the talk about the tosu coordinator? He has great defenses against the MAC, New Mexico State and YSU...His defense generally gets schredded vs. the Florida's, LSU's, and USC's....
Why would you not want someone from a major BCS program? That is just a silly comment saying that lower level BCS coaches are better for our needs. We want someone that has been at the highest level. They generally know what it takes to get a program to that level and keep it there. As for the OSU D coordinator.....Fickell is not "the" D coordinator. As for being shredded.....do you even watch games? They shut down the entire Big Ten (something we cant do) and they shut down USC this year. I love how you pick 2 or 3 games out of a several year strecth and say that a D coordinator is no good. Hilarious. I will agree that his schemes against SEC schools do not work, but once again, THAT ISNT FICKELL.

As for the OSU D coordinator.....Fickell is not "the" D coordinator. As for being shredded.....do you even watch games? They shut down the entire Big Ten (something we cant do) and they shut down USC this year.
tOSU is a national joke and will get taken apart by Oregon. tOSU lost to Purdue. That should be enough said. However........They shut down the Big Ten? Wow! That's almost impressive considering Big Ten offenses shut themselves down and all the defenses have to do is show up. I can't think of an elite offensive player in the Big Ten.They shut down USC? Wow! USC is the fifth place PAC 10 school and they still LOST to them at HOME. Everyone shut down USC. tOSU's defense couldn't shut them down in crunch time when good players and good coaches rise or fall.tOSU and Notre Dame are becoming the same team. Everyone talks about them yet they are irrelevant. tOSU has the advantage of hiding in the Big Ten and playing MAC schools for most of their OOC schedule. ND is just lost.

As for the OSU D coordinator.....Fickell is not "the" D coordinator. As for being shredded.....do you even watch games? They shut down the entire Big Ten (something we cant do) and they shut down USC this year.
tOSU is a national joke and will get taken apart by Oregon. tOSU lost to Purdue. That should be enough said. However........They shut down the Big Ten? Wow! That's almost impressive considering Big Ten offenses shut themselves down and all the defenses have to do is show up. I can't think of an elite offensive player in the Big Ten.They shut down USC? Wow! USC is the fifth place PAC 10 school and they still LOST to them at HOME. Everyone shut down USC. tOSU's defense couldn't shut them down in crunch time when good players and good coaches rise or fall.tOSU and Notre Dame are becoming the same team. Everyone talks about them yet they are irrelevant. tOSU has the advantage of hiding in the Big Ten and playing MAC schools for most of their OOC schedule. ND is just lost.
Tressel is 93-21. 6 Big Ten championships1 National TitleRespect commands itself and it can neither be given nor withheld when it is due.Eldridge Cleaver