Whats going on?

jaycevs

As for the OSU D coordinator.....Fickell is not "the" D coordinator. As for being shredded.....do you even watch games? They shut down the entire Big Ten (something we cant do) and they shut down USC this year.
tOSU is a national joke and will get taken apart by Oregon. tOSU lost to Purdue. That should be enough said. However........They shut down the Big Ten? Wow! That's almost impressive considering Big Ten offenses shut themselves down and all the defenses have to do is show up. I can't think of an elite offensive player in the Big Ten.They shut down USC? Wow! USC is the fifth place PAC 10 school and they still LOST to them at HOME. Everyone shut down USC. tOSU's defense couldn't shut them down in crunch time when good players and good coaches rise or fall.tOSU and Notre Dame are becoming the same team. Everyone talks about them yet they are irrelevant. tOSU has the advantage of hiding in the Big Ten and playing MAC schools for most of their OOC schedule. ND is just lost.
Most off topic thing ever. oh yes andWRONG!!!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To foster a "take no prisoners" attitude in college football, it's only logical to turn to prisoners -- prison league football players. The best coach for recruiting the best players would obviously be a tough warden. A football coach's salary would represent a huge increase for a warden, so the first college to do this could have it's pick of the best. UA could be a leader in this area.A version of shock probation could be enacted whereby outstanding football-playing inmates would be released to become UA student athletes, with UA taking responsibility for their rehabilitation. These players wouldn't even need much game coaching. Have the former warden gather them together in a room before each game and tell them: Just do it ..... and don't get caught. They would instinctively know what to do to beat any team of college pansies senseless, and how to get away with it.A side benefit would be the mixing of prison and college cultures, which would help prepare innocent suburban nerds for the real dog-eat-dog world they're going to have to face when they graduate. This is an area where UA is currently sorely lacking.
It works in the SEC and it worked in The Longest Yard.
Erick Howard , "Mr Football" from Canton HooverQuote; GP1
Amazing. This kid is too stupid to go to college. Good luck in I-AA.
Quote; GP1
I agree. It makes no sense, but who says a high school kid with a sub-par intellect has to make sense? I have a feeling the Zips should take a pass on this kid. Something doesn't seem right.
By your logic, this kid is a perfect recruit. :rolleyes:

Warinner, one of three finalists this season for the American Football Coaches Association's national assistant coach of the year award, has coached the KU offense to the top three total yardage seasons in school history in three years on the job. Warinner and Akron make sense for each other. Warinner is a native of nearby Strasburg, Ohio, who attended nearby Mount Union College from 1979-83. He served as an Akron assistant coach in 1984 while working on his master's degree, which he received in 1985. Throughout his career, Warinner has maintained deep recruiting ties in Ohio.
I'm not a huge fan. Offensive guy. Who likes the Pirates, Taco Bell and the theater??? Sounds like an offensive coordinator to me, not a head coach at Akron.

GOT A SCOOP!http://www2.kusports.com/news/2009/dec/07/...d-coaching-job/
Kansas University offensive coordinator Ed Warinner interviewed today for the head coaching job at the University of Akron, a source with knowledge of the situation told the Journal-World.
Thoughts?
Of the coordinators on the various lists, I like his resume. I believe he got his masters at UA and was a play caller for several years...Also, not coming from a major BCS program, but a BCS program is who I want, if you go the coordinator route.What is all the talk about the tosu coordinator? He has great defenses against the MAC, New Mexico State and YSU...His defense generally gets schredded vs. the Florida's, LSU's, and USC's....
Why would you not want someone from a major BCS program? That is just a silly comment saying that lower level BCS coaches are better for our needs. We want someone that has been at the highest level. They generally know what it takes to get a program to that level and keep it there. As for the OSU D coordinator.....Fickell is not "the" D coordinator. As for being shredded.....do you even watch games? They shut down the entire Big Ten (something we cant do) and they shut down USC this year. I love how you pick 2 or 3 games out of a several year strecth and say that a D coordinator is no good. Hilarious. I will agree that his schemes against SEC schools do not work, but once again, THAT ISNT FICKELL.
I watched exactly 15 minutes of Buckeye football in 2009. That was when a true freshman quarterback took the Trojans 95 yards and stuck it up the Buckeyes axx.As for Fickell, I wouldn't know him from Adam... and I thought the buckeye posters on this board mentioned that he was co-D coordinator. If not, I apologize. While I do not agree with GP1 that tosu is a national joke, they do however play in one of the weakest of BCS conferences and an easy non conference schedule. # 59 per Jeff Sagarin...Auburn, Georgia and Tennessee-middle of the pack SEC schools would dominate the medium ten....But I digress...Of course I picked out a handful of tosu's most difficult games to rate the D coordinator. You sure as hell cannot get a true read on the defense (and coordinator) against MAC, New Mexico St, YSU , IU, Northwestern, Minnesota etc. As for my preference of not wanting a coordinator from one of the 15-20 major BCS programs was already posted. Ridiculous? Maybe. The football budgets at these schools are so large that everything is handed to them. My fear is that they will have a much more difficult time getting by on a budget 1/5 the size, therefore I would take my chances elsewhere.

GOT A SCOOP!http://www2.kusports.com/news/2009/dec/07/...d-coaching-job/
Kansas University offensive coordinator Ed Warinner interviewed today for the head coaching job at the University of Akron, a source with knowledge of the situation told the Journal-World.
Thoughts?
Of the coordinators on the various lists, I like his resume. I believe he got his masters at UA and was a play caller for several years...Also, not coming from a major BCS program, but a BCS program is who I want, if you go the coordinator route.What is all the talk about the tosu coordinator? He has great defenses against the MAC, New Mexico State and YSU...His defense generally gets schredded vs. the Florida's, LSU's, and USC's....
Luke Fickell was not the defensive coordinator when tOSU lost to Florida or LSU. He is actually the co-defensive coordinator with Heacock who was the only D Coordinator in those big games. OSU's defense this year reminds me of the defenses led by MSU head coach Dantonio when he was the D coordinator at OSU back in the early 2000s. They just punish people. I think OSU will surprise people against Oregon.Anyways. I think Akron will be well off with either Warinner or Fickell. I mean you have a budding star on defense with Wagner and Nicely played decently in the last couple games. With the way Warinner developed Todd Reesing's game at Kansas, I would lean that way since the offense needs lots of help to improve from their performance on the field.

I've been reading Kansas fan's reactions to the Warinner news, and it seems like they are complaining about all the same things that we complained about our offense under JD.Running a "no-huddle" but waiting until the very last second to snap the ball, extremely predictable play calling, players simply not making plays. Sound familiar?

I've been reading Kansas fan's reactions to the Warinner news, and it seems like they are complaining about all the same things that we complained about our offense under JD.Running a "no-huddle" but waiting until the very last second to snap the ball, extremely predictable play calling, players simply not making plays. Sound familiar?
Remember the last offensive coordinator we hired?.....oh waitIt doesn't seem like there is a lot of interest out there for this job, and that is kind of surprising because all this new guy has to do is win this weak conference and/or get us to bowl games and he can go on his merry way. Is anybody else getting that vibe?

Top ranked offense in the nation? Top passing stats?Way to "FOX News" how the Kansas offense was.Just for giggles, go on Oregon, look after the Boise State game and see how much "criticizing" the Oregon offense took.The amazing thing about offenses, you put up stats and lose, it sucks because of the 1 or 2 little miscues. You put up stats and win? Everyone thinks you're the best offense to play the game.

So...hard...to...agree...with...UAkronkid...must...resist....I'm still of the opinion that it is easier to get a good offensive staff than a good defensive staff at Akron (my proof is in the last two decades of Zips football). I want my head guy to be from the defensive side of the ball so that side gets more attention. IMO I feel that defensive guys make better head coaches because they know the game better. I know there are examples that prove this otherwise, but it's my opinion. tongue0015.gifI can hire my OC off this team.

While I do not agree with GP1 that tosu is a national joke,
Your probably right. The Big Ten is the national joke and tOSU is just the punchline.You hear a lot about the Big Ten because you live in the midwest. It is laughed at by the remainder of the country. Unfortunately, the media has to talk about it and since tOSU is the top team in that horrible conference, they get most of the media play.

IMO I feel that defensive guys make better head coaches because they know the game better.
People who play/coach defense have the brains of an ant. Anyone with half of a brain plays offense. We need an offensive coach who won't run a gimmick defense and we will be fine.

IMO I feel that defensive guys make better head coaches because they know the game better.
People who play/coach defense have the brains of an ant. Anyone with half of a brain plays offense. We need an offensive coach who won't run a gimmick defense and we will be fine.
WRONG!Someone needs to start documenting the dumb things you say, oh, wait, I'm sure the "Great" GP1 has a book of all the "fabulous" things he has said.

My guy will have played TE in college, coached defense in college or pros, and maybe has some head coaching experience, his first name might be Mike...(I'm not speaking of a specific guy, there are a few of these guys out there)

Wow. I love offense and I tend to focus on offense when I watch football.However, I can't subscribe to your perspective.Defenses have to react. Offenses have to execute together, but they have the luxury of knowing what the play is. All except the most dominant defense are not dictating what happens on the field. Defenses have to execute together without that luxury.A good defensive coach doesn't just know one offense (like an offensive coach). He needs to know all of the offenses that his defense must face.If I was an offensive coach and I was was planning out new schemes, I'd have some defense coaches in the room to help me figure out how they would counter it.

My guy will have played TE in college, coached defense in college or pros, and maybe has some head coaching experience, his first name might be Mike...(I'm not speaking of a specific guy, there are a few of these guys out there)
I'd like this guy too.....However, someone needs to tell this guy to take easy fieldgoals in the first quarter so pressure is put on the other team and the offense can show some accomplishment.

Defenses have to react. Offenses have to execute together, but they have the luxury of knowing what the play is. All except the most dominant defense are not dictating what happens on the field. Defenses have to execute together without that luxury.A good defensive coach doesn't just know one offense (like an offensive coach). He needs to know all of the offenses that his defense must face.If I was an offensive coach and I was was planning out new schemes, I'd have some defense coaches in the room to help me figure out how they would counter it.
An offense has to be able to game plan for a variety of defenses as well.Asking a defensive coach for advise is like asking an Amish man for advice on how to build a nuclear powerplant. They are nice people and all, just not very sharp.......and lacking in the looks department........and tend to live with their mothers too long......and generally unclean.

Defenses have to react. Offenses have to execute together, but they have the luxury of knowing what the play is. All except the most dominant defense are not dictating what happens on the field. Defenses have to execute together without that luxury.A good defensive coach doesn't just know one offense (like an offensive coach). He needs to know all of the offenses that his defense must face.If I was an offensive coach and I was was planning out new schemes, I'd have some defense coaches in the room to help me figure out how they would counter it.
An offense has to be able to game plan for a variety of defenses as well.Asking a defensive coach for advise is like asking an Amish man for advice on how to build a nuclear powerplant. They are nice people and all, just not very sharp.......and lacking in the looks department........and tend to live with their mothers too long......and generally unclean.
And I've lost my mind? :D

While I do not agree with GP1 that tosu is a national joke,
Your probably right. The Big Ten is the national joke and tOSU is just the punchline.You hear a lot about the Big Ten because you live in the midwest. It is laughed at by the remainder of the country. Unfortunately, the media has to talk about it and since tOSU is the top team in that horrible conference, they get most of the media play.
I totally agree with this post.So what are the actual possibilities?Ed Warinner - OC at KansasLuke Fickell - Co-DC at tOSU^^^ Top two choices?Mark Stoops? - DC at ArizonaPaul Winters? - Wayne St. HCFrank Cignetti? - OC at PittWhy aren't coaches like:Matt Eberflus, DC at Mizzou, Went to Toledo, also coached at UT from 1994-2000Darrell Hazell, Ass. HC and WR Coach at tOSUJeff Mullen - OC at West Virgniabeing looked at?

Keep an eye on Scot Loeffler, Florida's QB coach.
Please noooooooooooooooooo
I agree completely, but there is a possibility. I'm pretty sure that he has been contacted.He's never been more than a position coach, at any level. I think he's a candidate based almost completely on the fact that he's from Barberton.

Keep an eye on Scot Loeffler, Florida's QB coach.
Please noooooooooooooooooo
I agree completely, but there is a possibility. I'm pretty sure that he has been contacted.He's never been more than a position coach, at any level. I think he's a candidate based almost completely on the fact that he's from Barberton.
Uhhhh yeah, that has to be it ;)