Euton Article

Euton is an interesting case. He developed early, and people thought he'd keep growing both physically and in skills. I think that's how he ended up on the radar of Kentucky, Florida and other majors. But he stopped at 6-8 instead of growing to 7-0, so he couldn't be the big center most college teams covet, and never really had the dazzling athleticism of most superstar forwards. That's when the big programs lost interest.What he appears to have is a combination of decent size, strong fundamentals and a desire to play above his pure athletic abilities. That's a really good combination. I have a feeling that he will become a major contributor in the Zips program -- if we're lucky, perhaps a more talented version of Nate Linhart with even better shooting and rebounding skills, but similar desire.You never really know for sure how these things will work out. But from all I've read about Euton, I'm optimistic that he will be an excellent fit with the Zips.

Euton is an interesting case. He developed early, and people thought he'd keep growing both physically and in skills. I think that's how he ended up on the radar of Kentucky, Florida and other majors. But he stopped at 6-8 instead of growing to 7-0, so he couldn't be the big center most college teams covet, and never really had the dazzling athleticism of most superstar forwards. That's when the big programs lost interest.What he appears to have is a combination of decent size, strong fundamentals and a desire to play above his pure athletic abilities. That's a really good combination. I have a feeling that he will become a major contributor in the Zips program -- if we're lucky, perhaps a more talented version of Nate Linhart with even better shooting and rebounding skills, but similar desire.You never really know for sure how these things will work out. But from all I've read about Euton, I'm optimistic that he will be an excellent fit with the Zips.
Well Said!!!!

Not that what you wrote here is rocket science for those that understand Division I basketball...but DAMN that was well said and well written!!! My guess is I would be hard pressed to find a better quick analysis anywhere.

Not that what you wrote here is rocket science for those that understand Division I basketball...but DAMN that was well said and well written!!! My guess is I would be hard pressed to find a better quick analysis anywhere.
A little inside info here, in another life, Dave in Green was a journalist! Then he spent 30 years in corporate "Communications". He better know how to put more than 2 words together at one time! :wave:

A little inside info here, in another life, Dave in Green was a journalist! Then he spent 30 years in corporate "Communications". He better know how to put more than 2 words together at one time! :wave:
Good info. And, to be honest, I thought he might have some professional background in that area just from the writing. THOUGH, as many of us know, plenty of people are paid to write who really have no business being paid to write!!!

Careful, Hilltopper. You never know when someone might spill the beans on your shady background. ;)If anyone reading this is looking for a career, journalism is a great profession. If I had it all to do over again, I might have stayed in journalism and skipped the corporate communications. My fondest memories are of the good old days of investigative reporting, digging up facts on a homicide or high-profile court case and trying to write it up in a clear, concise manner.There's still good journalism in the world, but you have to search for it. The best true journalism fairly presents both sides of the story and allows the readers (or viewers) to make their own conclusions. Much of what passes for journalism today is what used to be considered nothing more than partisan propaganda.Anyway, I'm happy to be retired now and have the time to dig up info on fun things like sports. If I find interesting data, as I did on Euton, I'll post it here for the benefit of those who don't have the time to do all the digging.

Dakotah Euton performance update:Mr. Euton is delivering well in his senior HS season. Although his HS team (Scott County) has lost 5 games this year, all the losses have been to teams that are highly regarded nationally, most from outside the state of Kentucky. He's averaging a double-double in points and rebounds, and making many clutch plays.The most recent example is yesterday's game between #1 ranked Scott County and #3 ranked Clark County. In the waning minutes of the game, with his Scott County team trailing 62-61, Euton stole the ball on consecutive plays. One steal led to a driving layup by a teammate that gave Scott County a 1-point lead, and the other led to a pair of Euton free throws that put them up by 3 on the way to a final 67-64 win.Euton's stats for the big game were 15 points, 14 rebounds and 3 steals. The fact that he is playing so well on a HS team with one of the toughest schedules in the country bodes well for his potential to start contributing to the Zips in his freshman season.Scott County-Clark County Game Story

Dakotah Euton performance update:Mr. Euton is delivering well in his senior HS season. Although his HS team (Scott County) has lost 5 games this year, all the losses have been to teams that are highly regarded nationally, most from outside the state of Kentucky. He's averaging a double-double in points and rebounds, and making many clutch plays.The most recent example is yesterday's game between #1 ranked Scott County and #3 ranked Clark County. In the waning minutes of the game, with his Scott County team trailing 62-61, Euton stole the ball on consecutive plays. One steal led to a driving layup by a teammate that gave Scott County a 1-point lead, and the other led to a pair of Euton free throws that put them up by 3 on the way to a final 67-64 win.Euton's stats for the big game were 15 points, 14 rebounds and 3 steals. The fact that he is playing so well on a HS team with one of the toughest schedules in the country bodes well for his potential to start contributing to the Zips in his freshman season.Scott County-Clark County Game Story
Wait a minute, your telling me big guys are allowed to hit clutch free throws late in a game? Blasphemy!

it sounds like this kid can shoot well.that's a big plus if a 6'8 kid can hit the 3pt shots.it forces another big man to come out and guard him which leves more space inside.plus most big guys are not very good at coming out to guard a guy at the 3pt line.if teams play zone he could really help us then also.the biggest questions is if the kid can play defense? kd won't play anyone unless they can play d.i am hoping he can at least hold his own on the d-side of the ball.if he can then this kid coould help us next year.

Consider how highly rated and highly recruited big men Jared Sullinger and Adreian Payne have been. The best hint of Euton's defensive abilities I've seen was a couple of brief lines in a rivals.com report on the 2009 King James Classic:The vaunted All-Ohio frontline of Jared Sullinger and Adreian Payne was largely held in check because of the strong defensive performances of Parker and Dakotah Euton. Euton was physical with Sullinger and prevented him from getting rebounds.While it may be unrealistic to think Euton could consistently neutralize scout.com's #1 rated center in the HS class of 2010, the fact that he did so well against Sullinger in the King James Classic suggests that he has the ability and desire to play really good, hard D against anyone. If he plays D like that for KD, you know he's going to get a lot of minutes.rivals.com link

One of the reasons I find it interesting to follow Euton's senior HS season is because his team, Scott County, plays at a very high level, with many games against highly ranked HS teams from other states. It's similar to the schedule St. V-M played when LeBron was there. Scott County is ranked the #1 HS team in Kentucky despite 5 losses this season because it's recognized that they play such a high level of competition compared with other Kentucky HS teams.Last night, Scott County played the #1, and only unbeaten, HS team from West Virginia, George Washington (Charleston). I should say previously unbeaten, because Scott County demolished them. The score was 28-6 after the first quarter and 51-20 at halftime, and Scott Country coasted from there to a 77-58 win after sitting all the starters.Despite playing short minutes, Euton just missed a double-double with 15 points and 9 rebounds. In almost every other Scott County box score I've seen, Euton has posted a double-double. He doesn't do it by himself. Scott County has several good players. But Euton is the tallest player in Scott County's starting lineup, and is usually matched up against the other team's best big man. Because his team plays so many nationally ranked teams, he gets his numbers against tough competition, not a bunch of weaklings.I think playing at such a high level of competition in HS may give Euton an edge over the Zips' other two recruits when the three new forwards report in at UA. I don't think their teams play at anywhere near Scott County's level of competition. The transition to D1 basketball should be a little easier for a player from a HS team that plays on more of a national stage than just normal in-state competition.

Here's a nugget of fun information for your Friday:Did you know.....That the KHSAA had a deal with Scott County that if any kid transfers into Scott County because his or her parents had taken a job at the Toyota plant that they do not have to sit out a season like kids at other schools throughout the state. I don't know if Euton falls into that category or not, it's beside the point, but if you look at Scott County teams going back to the late 90's (which correlates with the construction of the Toyota plant) it's no surprise they have been a state contender almost every single year. I'm sure (insert sarcasm here) there are no politics at work in a "basketball" state such as Kentucky to have the best high school basketball team possible. A lot of Toyota's government incentives they were given when they built that plant have either expired or are about to, I don't know if this is any exception, but it didn't hurt to put Scott County basketball on the map 10+ years ago.The real question is however, is there any correlation between one's ability to be a good basketball parent, and one's ability to install gas pedals?

I can't find anything about a special deal for people moving to work in the Toyota plant. But KHSAA Bylaw 6 clearly has a number of exceptions, including the following obvious one:Sec. 2) Discretionary Exceptions for Waivera) BONA FIDE CHANGE IN RESIDENCE - The period of ineligibility may be waived if there has been a bonafide change in residence by the parents and student that precedes a student’s change of schools.For purposes of this bylaw, a bonafide change of residence means the moving of the permanent residence of the entire family of the student and the student’s parents from one school district or defined school attendance area into another school district or defined school attendance area prior to a change in enrollment of the student. A student who becomes emancipated does not have a bonafide change of residence by virtue of his or her emancipation and change of residence for purposes of this bylaw.KHSAA Bylaw 6 LinkIn fact, the Eutons ran into a problem with this. The father (Clay Euton) left one company when it closed its Kentucky office, took another job with another company in the Scott County school district and moved his family there to a new home after selling the old home. But the KHSAA initially refused to waive the 1-year period of ineligibility because Clay Euton was quoted as saying in a newspaper interview that part of his reason for taking the new job in Scott County was that they had a great basketball program that would be good for his son. The KHSAA apparently believed that violated the following:Sec. 3) Specific Restrictions Resulting in Denial of WaiverSatisfying of one of the exceptions (a through i) shall not be considered valid and a waiver of the period of ineligibility shall not be granted:c) If the change in schools is motivated in whole or part by a desire to participate in athletics at the new school;Here's the Louisville Courier-Journal story with the Clay Euton quote:Louisville Courier-Journal LinkThe Lexington Herald-Leader covered all of the above in the following story:Lexington Herald-Leader LinkThe Eutons won their appeal, and Dakotah was allowed to play immediately at Scott County. This was covered in the following story in the Lexington Herald-Leader:Lexington Herald-Leader LinkSome insight into what was going on is provided in this interesting commentary on a Kentucky sports site. I find the following to be extremely well thought-out and written, and well worth reading. It asks the simple question of whether the intent of the KHSAA Bylaws is to prevent families from giving any thought to the sports programs in which their children will be playing when they are forced to move due to a job change:Euton Commentary LinkAll in all, a really convoluted but interesting story to follow, and a happy ending.