Props to Tennis Team!

johnnyzip84

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing has been added for a while...

Akron advanced to the semis of the MAC championships for the first time ever on Friday. They beat BG 4-1. They now play Western on Saturday, which will be a big match. Western will not want to lose to Akron twice in one year (especially with this match meaning so much), so they will probably come out motivated and ready to play. They also have "home court advantage" with the match being played at Western.

Akron also had many honors at the MAC banquet on Thursday night. Zara won player of the year (again) and Angelina won Freshman of the Year. Zara and Angelina were also first team all MAC while Angelika received 2nd team all MAC.

Good Luck Zips! Wish I could be there.

• 3 months later...

Hate to tell you this, but the stepping-stone strategy is becoming more deeply ingrained in Akron athletics. This guy, Coach Wyshner was something in the area of a miracle worker for Akron Tennis. Something between a Keith Dambrot and a Caleb Porter. And he took the opportunity to parlay his success the way the other two have not. I guess we have to wish him well. What other choice do we have?

:wave: coach!

Hate to tell you this, but the stepping-stone strategy is becoming more deeply ingrained in Akron athletics. This guy, Coach Wysher was something in the area of a miracle worker for Akron Tennis. Something between a Keith Dambrot and a Caleb Porter. And he took the opportunity to parlay his success the way the other two have not. I guess we have to wish him well. What other choice do we have?

:wave: coach!

I appreciate the fact that he took us to heights we never even dreamed of before he arrived. He rebuilt the program and left it far, far better than he inherited it. He is leaving for the number 14 ranked program. Wake has better facilities, resources, pay and a better commitment to playing at the top. I can't blame him at all. Look for a player or recruit to follow him. We were lucky to have a guy this good considering the state of our program.

Good luck coach and thanks for your time with the Zips. :wave:

Having played under Coach Wyshner, I wish him the best of luck at Wake. For those of you who say he "used" us or is a "douche", you guys are idiots on this subject. If you knew anything about Jeff, you would not be saying that. Jeff gave his heart and soul to Akron athletics. He took over a team that, I will say it, was horrible. I was a member of that team. We had no confidence in ourselves, we had been told that we were not going to win, and had been beaten into the ground emotionally. We had good players but we hadn't had a good coach. Jeff came in and changed that. The atmosphere of the team changed completely from the first day we stepped on to the practice court with him as a coach. He made tennis fun again and was able to teach, coach, and help us in the process. I learned so much from Jeff and wouldn't trade my last two years as an Akron Zips tennis player for anything.

I have never seen anyone so passionate about being an Akron Zip as Coach Jeff was. He was proud to be a part of the Akron athletics family. He loved it there. He spent more time doing stuff related to the team than I, or anyone else besides his family, probably know. He was dedicated to the success of the team. That is why Akron became such an amazing team. It was him. Do you think that top caliber tennis players would come play for Akron because of Akron? No. The players he recruited came there because of him. He is an amazing recruiter and a VERY personable guy. When you talk with him, you realize how great of a guy he is and how passionate he is about the sport of tennis.

I knew that he would be getting offers from great schools. My dad told me a while ago that he was wondering how soon Jeff would be recruited away to a bigger school. We saw it coming. I was hoping that it wouldnt come, because I love seeing Akron Tennis play at the caliber that they do, but how can you blame him? This is an amazing opportunity. He will go down to Wake and will do amazing things. Jeff did so much for Akron tennis. He left the team in a much better place than where he inherited it. What more can anyone ask for? Good Luck Coach Jeff!

Having played under Coach Wyshner, I wish him the best of luck at Wake. For those of you who say he "used" us or is a "douche", you guys are idiots on this subject. If you knew anything about Jeff, you would not be saying that. Jeff gave his heart and soul to Akron athletics. He took over a team that, I will say it, was horrible. I was a member of that team. We had no confidence in ourselves, we had been told that we were not going to win, and had been beaten into the ground emotionally. We had good players but we hadn't had a good coach. Jeff came in and changed that. The atmosphere of the team changed completely from the first day we stepped on to the practice court with him as a coach. He made tennis fun again and was able to teach, coach, and help us in the process. I learned so much from Jeff and wouldn't trade my last two years as an Akron Zips tennis player for anything.

I have never seen anyone so passionate about being an Akron Zip as Coach Jeff was. He was proud to be a part of the Akron athletics family. He loved it there. He spent more time doing stuff related to the team than I, or anyone else besides his family, probably know. He was dedicated to the success of the team. That is why Akron became such an amazing team. It was him. Do you think that top caliber tennis players would come play for Akron because of Akron? No. The players he recruited came there because of him. He is an amazing recruiter and a VERY personable guy. When you talk with him, you realize how great of a guy he is and how passionate he is about the sport of tennis.

I knew that he would be getting offers from great schools. My dad told me a while ago that he was wondering how soon Jeff would be recruited away to a bigger school. We saw it coming. I was hoping that it wouldnt come, because I love seeing Akron Tennis play at the caliber that they do, but how can you blame him? This is an amazing opportunity. He will go down to Wake and will do amazing things. Jeff did so much for Akron tennis. He left the team in a much better place than where he inherited it. What more can anyone ask for? Good Luck Coach Jeff!

Lil, Thanks for setting some idiots straight about coach Jeff. Now what you, me and all who care about Akron athletics need to do is build on what Jeff has done. TW has to find someone who has the same vision and talent to keep tennis going in the right direction. I'm not much of a tennis fan, but I support all things Akron so I want to see the program grow. I bet I speak for most, if not all, who are on this board. Since you know the program, keep the pressure on to move ahead and also keep us up to date on what tennis is doing. Thanks and Go Zips!

Not a very good argument when you say "I've never seen anyone more passionate for being an Akron Zips than coach blah blah". I've seen plenty of more passionate Akron Zips' coaches. Porter and Dambrot come to mind. If he was so passionate about being a Zip, why would he jump ship at the first opportunity?

Though I will be fair and give him the benefit of the doubt if i find that UA didn't even give him a fair offer for salary but i find that hard to believe due to college tennis salaries being far below the major sports. Ya know something like a 25%+ increase to 'not much' isn't that much if he's winning like he was.

How do you think the immediate and long-term future of the program looks now that Coach Wyshner has gone? Is there a firm foundation & a winning culture now, or was he not here long enough to leave a strong program behind? Who's the new coach? Do you know him/her? What is your initial impression?

What do I think of the future of the program? I think it completely depends on the coach who is hired. If they make as good of a hire as they did with Jeff, than the program will be in great hands. If they take a step backwards the program will fall right back where it was, probably. They need a coach that is an amazing recruiter. They have to sell parents and athletes on what Akron has to offer. It is hard to get the top notch players to come play for a school that has no tennis facility. We dont have an indoor facility and we also dont even have outdoor courts. It is hard to sell a great player on a school that doesnt even have courts. Jeff managed to do that and get some top notch players on an international level. That is what Akron needs, a coach that can recruit.

The next step is to have someone as passionate as he was about tennis. A true student of the game. Jeff could have been doing anything that he wanted. He had a law degree from Columbia, he could have been doing something for a lot more money. To him, I highly doubt things were about salary. He coaches tennis b/c he loves it. I don't know anything about the new AD, but I'm sure that he will make the right decision regarding how they go about hiring a coach.

I do not know who the new coach will be. They might have the assistant coach take over on an interim basis, but I cannot comment b/c I honestly do not know.

I got the opportunity to interview the 3 potential coaches that the university brought in after Coach Fox resigned. I thought it was a great thing to allow an athlete on the team to participate in. I got to ask the questions that, as a member of the team, I wanted to know. I wanted to know how he ran practice, his rules for traveling and practices, his vision for the team, etc. Of the people I interviewed, I told Mary Lu that Jeff was who I would recommend. The others were great choices, but based on what I heard in the interview, that he would be best for our team.

But if anyone were to put themselves in Jeff's shoes, I am willing to be you would do the same thing. Aren't all jobs "stepping stones" to a better one? Aren't you always looking to move to the next level? Don't sit there and judge him for as you say "jumping at the first offer" when I would have to say a majority of the people in the world, would do the same thing. And I highly doubt that it was his first offer.

I hope that Akron hires a great coach. A few years ago, no one would have cared enough to be arguing that a coach left the women's tennis team for a better job. I think that speaks to the caliber of coach that he is.

Actually no, i'm not a "LeBron" type that leave town for greener pastures at the first chance. I was taught that loyalty is more important than that and I would personally rather build my legacy at one place rather than jump ship every chance i got.

I guess you could call me a Caleb Porter kind of guy, ya know, the kind who finishes what they start.

• 1 month later...
What do I think of the future of the program? I think it completely depends on the coach who is hired. If they make as good of a hire as they did with Jeff, than the program will be in great hands. If they take a step backwards the program will fall right back where it was, probably. They need a coach that is an amazing recruiter. They have to sell parents and athletes on what Akron has to offer. It is hard to get the top notch players to come play for a school that has no tennis facility. We dont have an indoor facility and we also dont even have outdoor courts. It is hard to sell a great player on a school that doesnt even have courts. Jeff managed to do that and get some top notch players on an international level. That is what Akron needs, a coach that can recruit.

The next step is to have someone as passionate as he was about tennis. A true student of the game. Jeff could have been doing anything that he wanted. He had a law degree from Columbia, he could have been doing something for a lot more money. To him, I highly doubt things were about salary. He coaches tennis b/c he loves it. I don't know anything about the new AD, but I'm sure that he will make the right decision regarding how they go about hiring a coach.

I do not know who the new coach will be. They might have the assistant coach take over on an interim basis, but I cannot comment b/c I honestly do not know.

I got the opportunity to interview the 3 potential coaches that the university brought in after Coach Fox resigned. I thought it was a great thing to allow an athlete on the team to participate in. I got to ask the questions that, as a member of the team, I wanted to know. I wanted to know how he ran practice, his rules for traveling and practices, his vision for the team, etc. Of the people I interviewed, I told Mary Lu that Jeff was who I would recommend. The others were great choices, but based on what I heard in the interview, that he would be best for our team.

But if anyone were to put themselves in Jeff's shoes, I am willing to be you would do the same thing. Aren't all jobs "stepping stones" to a better one? Aren't you always looking to move to the next level? Don't sit there and judge him for as you say "jumping at the first offer" when I would have to say a majority of the people in the world, would do the same thing. And I highly doubt that it was his first offer.

I hope that Akron hires a great coach. A few years ago, no one would have cared enough to be arguing that a coach left the women's tennis team for a better job. I think that speaks to the caliber of coach that he is.

Spin the Wheel of Fortune, and we get...Brandon Padgett. The newest coach on campus. I suspect this will show a lot about Tom Wisty's ability to forge the future. If we drop into oblivion, it will say a lot.