"Dear Mr. Wistricill" - The Idea Thread

UAZip0510

We've heard in the past that players check out ZN...I'm assuming that is no different for our Athletic Director, Tom Wistricill, and his staff. He has told Zips fan/students/alumni that he is listening...so let's give him some of our ideas. This thread won't have discussion scheduling or recruits...just off-court stuff - game presentation, the JAR, ticket sales/deals, marketing ideas, merchandising, etc.

I'll throw out the first idea: Throwback and custom jerseys

They used to sell custom jerseys (which allows you to put current players names without UA getting into trouble) but for some reason stopped. I've never seen throwbacks. I can't imagine they'd have trouble selling a Jason Taylor Zips throwback, or Travis/Joyce throwbacks...lots of potential here.

Let's keep it going guys...what ideas do you have?

If a new arena isn't possible within the next 5 years then they need to reorganize the student section. If you can't get rid of the track behind the current "student section"(the metal bleachers) then give those lower seatbacks to students. They rarely sell out and it's the quietest part of the arena anyways. Does anyone else find it pecular that we get 50 students to a game when there is thousands within walking distance...hmm...

http://cache.deadspin.com/CARDSTUNt.jpg

If a new arena isn't possible within the next 5 years then they need to reorganize the student section. If you can't get rid of the track behind the current "student section"(the metal bleachers) then give those lower seatbacks to students. They rarely sell out and it's the quietest part of the arena anyways. Does anyone else find it pecular that we get 50 students to a game when there is thousands within walking distance...hmm...

http://cache.deadspin.com/CARDSTUNt.jpg

I would totally agree with this idea...heck, just give one section to the students and that'd be an improvement

My list is:

1. Less Recorded Music and More Pep Band.

2. Friendlier Usher/Ticket Takers. Take a lesson from The Q., every employee at The Q., smiles, thanks you and says goodbye, it helps create a fun atmosphere.

3. Bring back the "In Game Host." The guy from 2008-2009 season was great and got the crowd fired up.

4. A weekly televised Dambrot Show on STO or any channel.

5. Fill that place one way or another. Lower ticket prices or give out more tickets to sell more food and merchandise. Fill the JAR and then raise prices.

6. Have a well advertised and easy to use ticket turn in program, where a season ticket holder can sell their lower bowl tickets and help fill those seats up. I know a guy who buys eight seats and uses two every game with the exception of the Can't game. That's a great supporter, but six blue empty seats always looks bad.

Get UA gear in all of the stores in Akron and not just on and near campus. I see no UA gear in most of the non-sports related stores in Akron (Acme, Giant Eagle, Walmart, K Mart, etc.) Yet, I see OSU, Michigan and Can't State. Where is UA in all of this? It's time we step out and act like a real university, Tom. Maybe then, residents will treat us like a real university. Make UA Zips flags readily available to fly from the front porches of Akron homes.

Get UA gear in all of the stores in Akron and not just on and near campus. I see no UA gear in most of the non-sports related stores in Akron (Acme, Giant Eagle, Walmart, K Mart, etc.) Yet, I see OSU, Michigan and Can't State. Where is UA in all of this? It's time we step out and act like a real university, Tom. Maybe then, residents will treat us like a real university. Make UA Zips flags readily available to fly from the front porches of Akron homes.

Or on the backs of fans.

Or on the backs of fans.

Good point. Just don't make them as ugly as OSU jackets. Those hidious things are worn by the crazy homeless in Akron. That should tell us something.

Dear Tom,

Please attend a Cavs game at Quicken Loans Arena (You were just there for the MAC tourney). Please don't watch the game when you go, watch their game day presentation. They have a VIDEO board that they actually play VIDEOS on when something good happens. I don't mean videos of the game being played...I mean video clips from movies that fans love to watch. They have a plethora of clips they play that have different uses. Fans love these and it is something that will get the fans talking. You never know what crazy clip they will play next. Also have more segments like the "Dance Cam" and "Kiss Cam" that make people actually do things, it gets everyone in the crowd talking. The screen can also be used for showing things that people want to see...like half time stats that are correct. There are several cartoons involving Zippy in them. They are funny. We love them. Use them.

The Cavs have a MC who gets people involved during time outs. He doesn't always have to be on the court as long as he is on the big screen. Willy did this a few years ago and everyone LOVED it. Just please don't get a lame MC like Can't has.

Also as you walk in to the Q notice the hallways are filled with things for the fans to do especially the kids. There are poster making areas, video games, and places to shoot hoops.

A little late now but it would have been nice to do what CSU did this year. They had their conference trophy they won from the previous year on display on a table where fans could get their pictures with it. When you walk into Miami's arena they have all their trophies on display as well in cases. They also have large pictures of their most famous athletes.

Free tee shirts get students to games. The whiteout was successful. Did you see how packed Buffalo's arena was when they played us? Their attendance is usually terrible but was packed because they gave out "Beat the Roo" tee shirts. When we play teams in the OOC schedule like Malone and Hoover HS that people don't want to see us play you have to entice people to come. The bobble head idea is great. Who wouldn't want a Zippy Bobble head? Actually the real question is Who wouldn't want a Dambrot bobble head doll? I know I would.

PLEASE FIND THE ZIPPY MASCOT OF THE YEAR BANNER!!!! I have gone in and asked where it is at and NO ONE knows where it is at. How is that possible? It was hanging from the ceiling, its not like someone jumped and pulled it down. Speaking of Zippy...you wern't here last year but Zippy repealed from the ceiling...it was AWESOME. New tradition? It would be something unique to Akron and when our games are on tv would look great. Can we turn the lights off during opening intros and Zippy would be the first intro from above?

Sincerally,

A loyal fan

you know what, for some reason the marketing department doesn't realize we have graphic design majors here at UA. When I look at T-Shirts and stuff being produced I feel that they could be a lot better. For example the t-shirts for the AK-Rowdies, Roo Zoo, and stuff should be designed by students. At schools like Tennessee and Penn State they have students submit drawings and ideas. The top 5 or so are voted on by the students and the winner is produced. To me the rowdies shirts haven't been anything special the past few years. My favorites were the gold, they seemed to be the most unique and a cheering section of all gold is pretty sweet.

1. Fix the radio feeds. I don't know whose fault it is but to have that much trouble for broadcasts is disappointing.

2. Expand items at the team shop. Maybe this is not feasible but I have to think there is somewhat of a market out there to have more variety.

3. Routine communication with the fans. Tom seems good at this with the Youtube clips. MT would have a quarterly letter to fans posted online and have a "State of Akron Athletics" discussion once a year at the spring game. All of 200-300 people showed up for the townhall meeting so maybe that doesn't make sense. But a quarterly update on what is being worked on, things to look forward to would be great. I heard Tom on the 5 hour pregame show before the Can't game. He was a good interview. I would like to hear more from him.

4. Reconfigure the JAR. If a new arena is not going to work, do something with the JAR. This one takes a lot of money and is probably a pipe dream, but the others all seem realistic.

5. Can the MAC do what the Horizon does and get all league games on line? Even if you charge (which Horizon doesn't) but have a feed that works, it should at least break even and gets more people to see your games.

2. Expand items at the team shop. Maybe this is not feasible but I have to think there is somewhat of a market out there to have more variety.

This is a very interesting topic that many have brought up. I went to the Marketing Department last week and asked some questions. They have no say in what is in the team shop since Barnes & Nobles is in charge of it. They can suggest things but BN doesn't have to listen to the request. This seems wrong to me. It is OUR team shop so AKRON ATHLETICS should be in charge of it. How did we get in this deal?

Upgrade the JAR. Lose the track, and move the upper seats forward, where you can enter from behind the seats. No sense in a new arena when you can't fill this one.

Love the idea of past football Jerseys for sale. Hope they sell the version this year that debuted in 2009.

bobbleheads also a good idea.

Quit the Sunday afternoon games. Cuts into the NFL on TV, and being a season ticket holder, I go the the Zips.

Play a better hoops schedule. Goes without saying.