Guess we aren't the only ones struggling with OU's guards

Quickzips

cooper does not impress me one bit...he's a decent player, and one day can be one of the best in the MAC. Not the country and I don't see that happening. He's not consistent and has bad scoring droughts. In my opinion Zeke will be the best in the conference for years to come and will be blocking everything coming from coopers hands. I'm just tired of people talking about how great OU is...we beat them 2-3 games this year and Can't beat them twice. And weren't they the 8th seed?

Them winning does not help us 1 bit so if your an akron fan I don't see why you would root for OU. I like the browns, but I will never root for the steelers or ravens...same division. and all you people that like OSU...would you ever root for michigan or penn state?

The Browns argument is completely different but the Ohio State one makes some sense. I still just think it's good for the MAC to beat up on the big east, nothing wrong with showing that our 9 seed can beat on their conference runner up.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cooper does not impress me one bit...he's a decent player, and one day can be one of the best in the MAC. Not the country and I don't see that happening. He's not consistent and has bad scoring droughts. In my opinion Zeke will be the best in the conference for years to come and will be blocking everything coming from coopers hands. I'm just tired of people talking about how great OU is...we beat them 2-3 games this year and Can't beat them twice. And weren't they the 8th seed?

Them winning does not help us 1 bit so if your an akron fan I don't see why you would root for OU. I like the browns, but I will never root for the steelers or ravens...same division. and all you people that like OSU...would you ever root for michigan or penn state?

I made an account just to respond to this post. Be proud I guess.

First of all..Cooper was battleing injurys most of the year, most noteably his knee. The ONLY thing that worries me about him as a player is (unfairly) his size. I'm usually pretty even keel with my fandom for Ohio, meaning I don't let myself get to high or to low with any of the athletic teams, but if you honestly think that Cooper isn't going to be a beast by his senior year - you're smokeing something, and I may want some of it. And we were a 9 seed thank you.

Secondly, you can't compare NFL football to college sports. In the NFL, there are no rankings, everybody starts the season at the same spot, and everything (more or less) is settled on the field. When it comes time for the NFL play-offs, the teams with the best records go, period.

In college however, everything is based on perception. A strong CMU, Buffalo, BG or whoever in football is good for OU, Akron, and the rest of the MAC. One team CAN elevate the perception of the league, provided there are MULTIPLE good teams (RE: Why the Pac-10 actually does suck). So yes, Penn State and Michigan doing well OOC, in thier bowl games, and against the weaker confrence opponents, is EXTREAMLY helpfull for Ohio State.

Finally, as I'll relate this to college basketball, Gonzaga has become a virtual lock to make the NCAA's every year. If Gonzaga is in the NCAA's BEFORE thier confrence tourney, and they lose the tourney, guess what - 2 bid league. While I don't think RPI really truly matters for the MAC (see 2005, and Can't this year) - having a good YOUNG team like OU does will increase exposue not just for OU, but for the MAC as a whole.

Oh and then there is that whole thing where the further OU gets into the NCAA's, the more money Akron gets, and money makes everything better.

Not to get off topic and not to take anything away from ohio for that win because it was a huge upset regardless. But am I the only one who noticed the past two games Ohio's guards use their off hand to push off when taking a shot or they use it like a stiff arm while they drive to the hole. I actually watched cooper a few times grabing the other guy with his off hand and extending his arm like a stiff arm in football to get seperation while going to the hole. I know the push off is not legal but what about that stiff arm move? seems to be working for them as long as they keep not getting called for it.

Not to get off topic and not to take anything away from ohio for that win because it was a huge upset regardless. But am I the only one who noticed the past two games Ohio's guards use their off hand to push off when taking a shot or they use it like a stiff arm while they drive to the hole. I actually watched cooper a few times grabing the other guy with his off hand and extending his arm like a stiff arm in football to get seperation while going to the hole. I know the push off is not legal but what about that stiff arm move? seems to be working for them as long as they keep not getting called for it.

I as screaming about that the entire Championship game! Cooper is great is pushing off and hitting a 3. Our guys couldn't do anything about it because they would call a foul on us.

Groce coaches them to be physical on every play. Last night one of the players had to be warned by the ref after bumping the shooter following a free throw. He would step all the way across the paint and then hip push the guy back to get position for the rebound.

Nothing wrong with it, it's just their style, be physical, make contact with the other person. Considering who they were playing, if there was something wrong with what they were doing, or it was questionable, they would have got a lot more whistles.

When you're small you have to play big, make yourself more imposing, heck there was a play where Basset got the defender off his feet and then he went up through the out stretched arms to shoot and he didn't get to go to the line.

They did this the whole tournament, as did Kool. I also saw it by several guards throughout the tourament games. It's not legal (gains a huge advantage) but it is something that the refs obviously allow to happen. Akron therefore needs to adjust to that (and incorporate it into our guards' play as well).

VMD, I am starting to believe that you have a personnal issue with the kid because you can't be reasonnably arguing that he does not impress you.

First of all, I'm not aware of no one averaging 36 points a game in college. No one in the NBA (where the games are 8 minutes longer) even averages 36 points/game, not even 30. (LBJ leads at 29.6 PPG)

Second thing, Your cotton guy (in his freaking senior year) averages 12.5 Points, Cooper averages 13.1 in his F R E S H M A N season

Third, there are other stats to look at when evaluating a player, like assists, Rebounds, and Steals:

Troy Cotton: 12.5 points 3.0 Rebs 1.0 Assist and .7Steals

DJ Cooper: 13.1 points 5.4 Rebs (can you believe that?) 5.9 Assists and 2.5 steals

Go ahead and compare these numbers to any point guard in the NCAA (let alone freshman) and then come back and tell me how overrated cooper is.

EXCELLENT POST

And last nite he put up numbers like that against a top national program! No denying he has what it takes so far.

First of all..Cooper was battleing injurys most of the year, most noteably his knee. The ONLY thing that worries me about him as a player is (unfairly) his size. I'm usually pretty even keel with my fandom for Ohio, meaning I don't let myself get to high or to low with any of the athletic teams, but if you honestly think that Cooper isn't going to be a beast by his senior year - you're smokeing something, and I may want some of it. And we were a 9 seed thank you.

Secondly, you can't compare NFL football to college sports. In the NFL, there are no rankings, everybody starts the season at the same spot, and everything (more or less) is settled on the field. When it comes time for the NFL play-offs, the teams with the best records go, period.

In college however, everything is based on perception. A strong CMU, Buffalo, BG or whoever in football is good for OU, Akron, and the rest of the MAC. One team CAN elevate the perception of the league, provided there are MULTIPLE good teams (RE: Why the Pac-10 actually does suck). So yes, Penn State and Michigan doing well OOC, in thier bowl games, and against the weaker confrence opponents, is EXTREAMLY helpfull for Ohio State.

Finally, as I'll relate this to college basketball, Gonzaga has become a virtual lock to make the NCAA's every year. If Gonzaga is in the NCAA's BEFORE thier confrence tourney, and they lose the tourney, guess what - 2 bid league. While I don't think RPI really truly matters for the MAC (see 2005, and Can't this year) - having a good YOUNG team like OU does will increase exposue not just for OU, but for the MAC as a whole.

Oh and then there is that whole thing where the further OU gets into the NCAA's, the more money Akron gets, and money makes everything better.

I am sitting here typing this as I recover from knee surgery I had yesterday. A bad knee is a real concern for an athlete, and I hope he can resolve those problems. While it harder for an older man to heal and he is young and fit, the fact is, if he needed to take a year off to resolve that, he should do so. Knees are a career stopper.

That being said, just watch the hype this guy gets for the next Ohio game. His play last nite was unreal. Normally I would have no interest in watching any games we are not in, but I put it on because of Cooper and Basset. Then I could not turn it off! Basset is SUPER, but he is put to shame by the moves that Cooper has. Again, it's not only the points, its the assists and rebounds and passes and ball handling.

Sorry to say, I think OU is going to get top ranking in the MAC at the beginning of next season, and maybe for a few years after that as well.

I am sitting here typing this as I recover from knee surgery I had yesterday. A bad knee is a real concern for an athlete, and I hope he can resolve those problems. While it harder for an older man to heal and he is young and fit, the fact is, if he needed to take a year off to resolve that, he should do so. Knees are a career stopper.

That being said, just watch the hype this guy gets for the next Ohio game. His play last nite was unreal. Normally I would have no interest in watching any games we are not in, but I put it on because of Cooper and Basset. Then I could not turn it off! Basset is SUPER, but he is put to shame by the moves that Cooper has. Again, it's not only the points, its the assists and rebounds and passes and ball handling.

Sorry to say, I think OU is going to get top ranking in the MAC at the beginning of next season, and maybe for a few years after that as well.

We had top ranking at the beginning of this season and Can't had it going into the tournament, doesn't really count for much.

I'm happy for OU, and this is good for the MAC and us. OU has always been tough and will be next year, they have another guard coming that will likely be huge for them.

The MAC is pretty balanced, we just need to find a shooter and work with Zeke to stop the easy drive.

By the way, that Ohio win last night was worth CASH MONEY for Akron. THAT is how you benefit.

How much, though. Something trivial like $5k per school? Can't's sweet 16 credits are set to expire and unless OU can win their next game it still means a reduction in NCAA money.

They did this the whole tournament, as did Kool. I also saw it by several guards throughout the tourament games. It's not legal (gains a huge advantage) but it is something that the refs obviously allow to happen. Akron therefore needs to adjust to that (and incorporate it into our guards' play as well).

I was thinking the same thing while watching the game last night this is two games I have seen them play like this and not get any fouls called for it I would love to see humpty incorperate this into his game anything to help get the ball inside so we stop settleing for the 3 75% of the time.

We had top ranking at the beginning of this season and Can't had it going into the tournament, doesn't really count for much.

I'm happy for OU, and this is good for the MAC and us. OU has always been tough and will be next year, they have another guard coming that will likely be huge for them.

The MAC is pretty balanced, we just need to find a shooter and work with Zeke to stop the easy drive.

You know deep down I am happy for Ohio because its better for the mac although I still harbor hatred from the championship game. I live in Columbus and it makes me so mad the attention they get when they are doing good in any sport. No other mac school gets that kind of attention here I remember last year there was a little tine snip it in the sports section about Akron Ohio has been all over the dispatch for the past week maybe thats why Nick Kellog is signing with them instead of us.

You know deep down I am happy for Ohio because its better for the mac although I still harbor hatred from the championship game. I live in Columbus and it makes me so mad the attention they get when they are doing good in any sport. No other mac school gets that kind of attention here I remember last year there was a little tine snip it in the sports section about Akron Ohio has been all over the dispatch for the past week maybe thats why Nick Kellog is signing with them instead of us.

Or it could be because he's from Westerville and his brother Transferred to OU.

VMD's refusal to believe that Cooper is a player reminds me of when Boykins used to beat us up year after year. His first year I refused that little squirt could beat us, then he did it again, and AGAIN, AND AGAIN!

I'm happy OU is getting recognized, they deserve it. I used to watch a lot of talent in the MAC. That has faded big time. I'm looking forward to watching OU and hope they push the rest of the MAC to get better players. Specifically AKRON.

VMD's refusal to believe that Cooper is a player reminds me of when Boykins used to beat us up year after year. His first year I refused that little squirt could beat us, then he did it again, and AGAIN, AND AGAIN!

I'm happy OU is getting recognized, they deserve it. I used to watch a lot of talent in the MAC. That has faded big time. I'm looking forward to watching OU and hope they push the rest of the MAC to get better players. Specifically AKRON.

I agree. They remind me of the old EMU teams.

OU fans are living my dream right now. Beats the sh!t out of a home CBI loss to Wisconsin Green Bay.

By the way, that Ohio win last night was worth CASH MONEY for Akron. THAT is how you benefit.

How much, though. Something trivial like $5k per school? Can't's sweet 16 credits are set to expire and unless OU can win their next game it still means a reduction in NCAA money.

About $125,000 per school per round.

The payout from the Elite Eight run expired a couple years ago.

That's exactly what i'm talking about VMD. That's well worth it.

But is that divided amongst all of the schools in the conference or is it what each school gets? If it is the former, VMD was not far off.

Or it could be because he's from Westerville and his brother Transferred to OU.

What does being from westerville have to do with him going to OU maybe because his brother transfred there but Hansborough didnt follow in his brothers footsteps at NC either I see your point though I just wish we had an edge in recruiting this state and could score guys like this Ive seen Kellog play a few times this year I think hes one heck of a player.

some of the calls against zeke in the mac finals was b.s. the ou player would drive to the basket,and zeke did not even

touch the guy.the ref would call a foul just because zeke was near the guy ,and put his hands up.kd really needs to get on the refs next year about calls on zeke.

But is that divided amongst all of the schools in the conference or is it what each school gets? If it is the former, VMD was not far off.

Like I said, per school.

Like I said, per school.

Each unit (or game played) was only $222,206 last year per conference. Unless you are talking about the aggregate over the 5-year period, that isn't close to $125K per school

Like I said, per school.

Each unit (or game played) was only $222,206 last year per conference. Unless you are talking about the aggregate over the 5-year period, that isn't close to $125K per school

NCAA.org source

Click on link "Current Basketball Revenue Distribution Information"