Matt Cherry

Article on one of my all-time favorite Zips.

Cool to see him doing so well. B)

Very cool! I'm always impressed by people who can put forth so much effort into a wide range of opportunities. I was also intrigued to read his Wikipedia entry (link at bottom of the Examiner page). Cherry, Sparks, Irwin, Bailey, Schifino......you have to admit LO had no problem bringing in quality wideouts.

Article on one of my all-time favorite Zips.

Cool to see him doing so well. B)

Very cool! I'm always impressed by people who can put forth so much effort into a wide range of opportunities. I was also intrigued to read his Wikipedia entry (link at bottom of the Examiner page). Cherry, Sparks, Irwin, Bailey, Schifino......you have to admit LO had no problem bringing in quality wideouts.

You are right. We did have some good WR during LO tenure...

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I DVR'd The Last Fall on BET this weekend and started watching it this morning. Pretty good so far and included a reference to Akron. The main charechter who is a now former NFL practice squad player is having dinner with a high school flame and her parents and they asked what he did for a living. He said played football and the dad said he used to play and they asked where they played college ball. The main charechter said Akron while the dad said Harvard. It was nice to get a mention in the movie.

• 6 years later...

Outstanding! Anyone who has ever raised little girls will love this short film. Well done Matt. It's great to see a former Zip athlete, let alone a star receiver, give back to society.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Chicago Sun Times Article

ANIMATED SHORT FILM

Ten films will advance in the Animated Short Film category for the 92nd Academy Awards.  Ninety-two films qualified in the category.  Members of the Short Films and Feature Animation Branch vote to determine the shortlist and the nominees.

The films, listed in alphabetical order by title, are:

“Dcera (Daughter)”
“Hair Love”
“He Can’t Live without Cosmos”
“Hors Piste”
“Kitbull”
“Memorable”
“Mind My Mind”
“The Physics of Sorrow”
“Sister”
“Uncle Thomas: Accounting for the Days”

Shortlist Source

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

With the Academy Awards tonight, WEWS talked about this on Good Morning Cleveland this morning and News 5 at 5 pm tonight.

Former University of Akron WR Matthew Cherry receives Oscar nomination for animated short 'Hair Love'

WEWS Published February 9, 2020

Hope he wins tonight.

• Like 3