The 2011 Recruits Thread

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is Prop 48?

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think this is the route that Demetrius Treadwell and Nick Harney have going right now. Basically if you have academic issues qualifying you come in for a year and pay your own way while trying to get your grades up. You aren't allowed to practice with the team or anything like that, but if you make the grades after one year then you still have your normal five years to play four.

On the plus side, Evans could be a very nice backup PG behind Abreu in a couple of years once he would be (hopefully) eligible.

What is Prop 48?

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think this is the route that Demetrius Treadwell and Nick Harney have going right now. Basically if you have academic issues qualifying you come in for a year and pay your own way while trying to get your grades up. You aren't allowed to practice with the team or anything like that, but if you make the grades after one year then you still have your normal five years to play four.

On the plus side, Evans could be a very nice backup PG behind Abreu in a couple of years once he would be (hopefully) eligible.

From what I can find at the NCAA website, there is no such thing as Prop 48 any longer. You are either a qualifier or not. There used to be a category called partial qualifier, that doesn't exist any longer. Treadwell and Harney were not qualified to get scholarships, but they did have good enough grades to enroll at UA. They are paying their own way this year. Once they complete their freshman year, they would in theory, be eligible for a BB scholarship.

Guess we old timers need to get with the times. The NCAA quit using Prop 48 in 1995, when it was replaced with the even tougher Prop 16.

The NCAA’s eligibility requirements became even stricter when delegates to the 86th NCAA Annual Convention passed Proposition 16. Prop 16’s impact arrived in two phases—the first on August 1, 1995, and the second exactly one year later. Under the first phase, NCAA leaders bumped up the number of required core courses from 11 to 13, and added two elective courses to their new minimum standard. Left unchanged by prop 16 were the SAT/ACT and GPA requirements.

In the second phase, the NCAA replaced one of the two electives with English. With this decision, student-athletes were now required to complete four years of English instead of three. And if that wasn’t enough, new SAT/ACT and GPA requirements also changed in 1996. The NCAA instituted a sliding scale that combined SAT/ACT scores and GPA in a minimum of 13 core classes. Now, the student-athlete who earns a 2.0 GPA must combine it with a minimum 900 SAT score to be eligible for Division 1 competition. The student-athlete who earns a 2.5 GPA can score 700 and be eligible. With these changes, Proposition 16 effectively superseded Proposition 48.

NCAA's Clearinghouse Rules - Who's Looking Out for the Student-Athlete?

• 2 weeks later...
Well, if we have a spare scholarship to give, maybe we should offer this guy. He's guaranteed to have the "coolest name in the tournament" competition all locked up.

Also of note is that Zips target Marcus Crider, who had verballed to Providence last year, just re-opened his recruitment.

Markus Crider will be visiting VCU next weekend.

Well, if we have a spare scholarship to give, maybe we should offer this guy. He's guaranteed to have the "coolest name in the tournament" competition all locked up.

I'm a little concerned about team chemistry with this guy :lol:

Committed to St. Johns. http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/ncb/news/story?id=6443546

I'm a little concerned about team chemistry with this guy :lol:

Committed to St. Johns. http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/ncb/news/story?id=6443546

I was unaware of who I was dealing with until reading the linked article, but now I realize that two of God's Gift's siblings, Grace and Precious, have sent me emails offering substantial compensation to assist them in spiriting millions of dollars out of their country.