2 replies to this topic

#1 Nav

Nav

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:02 PM

As Z.I.P. was told by Vice President Biden, the U.S. U-20 National Team is in Super Group Bracket D for the 2010 Dallas Cup. Why does this matter to us? Maybe because three of our Zips are on the U.S. U-20 National Team.

I tried to find some results for the team, but it looks like the Dallas Cup doesn't really put much on their website, except for scores, and even those are hard to find. Anyway, here's what I am able to find:

Bracket D
Eintracht Frankfurt 3-0 Vancouver Whitecaps FC
Mexican National Team (91/92) 1-0 USA National Team (91/92)
Vancouver Whitecaps FC 0-1 USA National Team (91/92)
Eintracht Frankfurt 1-2 Mexican National Team (91/92)

That puts every team so far at 1-1 (3 points each). Only one team advances from the group. The remaining games are:

Vancouver Whitecaps FC vs Mexican National Team (91/92)
Eintracht Frankfurt vs USA National Team (91/92)

If we can beat Frankfurt, then we just need Vancouver to beat or tie Mexico. Under most circumstances, we would advance at this point (first tiebreaker is goal differential: Vancouver is at -4 and USA is at 0).

GO USA!
"Sometimes a thorough ass-kicking cleanses your soul, and sometimes that’s what your team needs."

–Steve Burns, head coach of the University of Michigan soccer team after losing 5–1 to the Zips.

Full Story → Zips tear Michigan men's soccer to shreds

#2 Roogangs

Roogangs

Zips Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:51 AM

The USA vs Mexico game was great in the first half. USA's starting defense was a Akron throwback with Sarkodie, Barson, and Valentine starting. However, in the 40th minute Barson was show a straight Red for a weak takedown outside the box. A PK was given which the GK saved. Mexico scored early in the second half and USA nearly tied it up in the 90th minute with a header off the crossbar. Our three guys were playing great according to numerous writeups. Barson in particular was mentioned to be doing exceptionally well. There is a youtube video of the red card and PK. Have to admit it was a very questionable call.

Here is the Topdrawersoccer article (sorry i dont know how to add links)
http://topdrawersocc...hives/nid-14394

And here is the youtube site

if that does not work just type in "USA vs Mexico Dallas Cup penalty decision" in the youtube search

What do you all think about the call. My "professional" opinion, yellow card and freekick outside the box by a good foot or two!

Hopefully these three guys will all get to start again on wednesday. Especially Barson, I would hate to see this call affect his National Team appearances. I believe all three guys have been on the National Team since they were U14!

#3 trimmy10

trimmy10

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:25 PM

The USA vs Mexico game was great in the first half. USA's starting defense was a Akron throwback with Sarkodie, Barson, and Valentine starting. However, in the 40th minute Barson was show a straight Red for a weak takedown outside the box. A PK was given which the GK saved. Mexico scored early in the second half and USA nearly tied it up in the 90th minute with a header off the crossbar. Our three guys were playing great according to numerous writeups. Barson in particular was mentioned to be doing exceptionally well. There is a youtube video of the red card and PK. Have to admit it was a very questionable call.

Here is the Topdrawersoccer article (sorry i dont know how to add links)
http://topdrawersocc...hives/nid-14394

And here is the youtube site

if that does not work just type in "USA vs Mexico Dallas Cup penalty decision" in the youtube search

What do you all think about the call. My "professional" opinion, yellow card and freekick outside the box by a good foot or two!

Hopefully these three guys will all get to start again on wednesday. Especially Barson, I would hate to see this call affect his National Team appearances. I believe all three guys have been on the National Team since they were U14!

I used to be a referee. I agree, freekick outside the box and a yellow card. The foul wasn't intentional, dangerous, or malicious. The only reason a yellow card would be warranted is because of the scoring opportunity, which was also relatively weak. Poor all the way around by the official.
"Rule #76: No excuses, play like a champion!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users