"We're Syracuse. We should beat Akron."

ZachTheZip

Who said that quote? Was it some Orange player from 2008? Was it their fired coach? Was it one of their fans?

Nope. It was Director of Athletics at Syracuse University, Dr. Daryl Gross.

The lack of professionalism here makes me angry. And the lack of humility.

I want to beat Syracuse even more. I want to beat them by more than 14 this time. I want Zippy to kickbox that stupid orange blob into the next decade.

Hey Rob Ianello, you need a slogan. You need to start drilling it into your players heads that "We're Akron. We should beat Syracuse." They're crap. We shouldn't be crap.

Who said that quote? Was it some Orange player from 2008? Was it their fired coach? Was it one of their fans?

Nope. It was Director of Athletics at Syracuse University, Dr. Daryl Gross.

The lack of professionalism here makes me angry. And the lack of humility.

I want to beat Syracuse even more. I want to beat them by more than 14 this time. I want Zippy to kickbox that stupid orange blob into the next decade.

Hey Rob Ianello, you need a slogan. You need to start drilling it into your players heads that "We're Akron. We should beat Syracuse." They're crap. We shouldn't be crap.

If this was said, when was it said? If it was after our 14 point victory in 08, their team certainly responded by kicking our tails in 09. I sure hope that they don't continue to show improvement again this year.

I understand the coach saying something like that. But as the AD, he needs to be a bit more diplomatic.

A problem in sports today, as entertainment, is everyone is a diplomat. Nobody says what is really on their mind or admit to what everyone already knows that they are thinking. I like when people say exactly what they belive. It is not just more entertaining, it is more honest.

Guys like Tiger Woods (pre-bimbo explosion) are boring because they say nothing when interviewed. In a lot of ways, LB James is boring because he speaks in Nikelike robot speak. They say the same thing every time they are interviewed.

Charles Barkley was at least interesting because you never knew what he was going to say. Yogi Berra was interesting because you never knew what he was going to say next. Bobby Knight was interesting because he was completely honest and revealed his opinions.

I wish we could go back to the days where an athlete was as interesting as he was athletic.

I understand the coach saying something like that. But as the AD, he needs to be a bit more diplomatic.

A problem in sports today, as entertainment, is everyone is a diplomat. Nobody says what is really on their mind or admit to what everyone already knows that they are thinking. I like when people say exactly what they belive. It is not just more entertaining, it is more honest.

Guys like Tiger Woods (pre-bimbo explosion) are boring because they say nothing when interviewed. In a lot of ways, LB James is boring because he speaks in Nikelike robot speak. They say the same thing every time they are interviewed.

Charles Barkley was at least interesting because you never knew what he was going to say. Yogi Berra was interesting because you never knew what he was going to say next. Bobby Knight was interesting because he was completely honest and revealed his opinions.

I wish we could go back to the days where an athlete was as interesting as he was athletic.

+1

Great post.

+1

Great post.

+2

If I am a Syracuse AD, player, coach whatever.....damn right im expecting to beat a lowly MAC school anyday. And saying so is not unprofessional at all. Its honest.

Fans read that and get geeked up. Im so sick of having Romeo Crennels, Eric Wedges, Mark Shapiros, Jim Tressel-types always saying the PC thing.

B-or-ing.

+1

Great post.

+2

If I am a Syracuse AD, player, coach whatever.....damn right im expecting to beat a lowly MAC school anyday. And saying so is not unprofessional at all. Its honest.

Fans read that and get geeked up. Im so sick of having Romeo Crennels, Eric Wedges, Mark Shapiros, Jim Tressel-types always saying the PC thing.

B-or-ing.

agreed...how is it undiplomatic for one school spokesman to verbalize the purpose of playing a football game against another school? It makes no sense to say such a quote is undiplomatic. There isn't suppose to be diplomacy here. It's a competitive sport for Christ's sake. It would make as much sense as saying that flying the American Flag on American soil is undiplomatic...geesh!