Fixing Zips Baseball

g-mann17

Most of the problems and solutions have been covered. The university could improve facilities and coaching. But the conference could also get involved because it's not just Akron that sucks in baseball, it's almost the entire MAC.

Part of the problem could be solved by having the MAC drop baseball as a mandatory sport. It makes no sense as a northern league. Maybe three or four MAC teams drop it to save money, and the talent pool becomes a little less diluted.

Another part of the problem is the game of baseball itself. No major sport is more boring to watch when your team is losing than baseball, except maybe soccer.

Let's not get crazy here. Baseball is far more interesting to watch (even when you are losing by 15 runs in the middle of the game like today) than soccer. I know it's a matter of personal preference but obviously baseball is due to the fact that baseball is FAR more popular at every level from High School on up.

Also, I spoke with a parent of a recruit for a second today and he had just asked me and some others if we thought that Bangston would still be there next year. I told him i would think so (but i wish he wouldn't be) but i got the feeling he wasn't asking that for assurance but more so hoping that he would be gone.

I can think of about 100 million folks who watched the UEFA Champion League final today who might disagree with this.

and 4 of them speak English.

Most of the problems and solutions have been covered. The university could improve facilities and coaching. But the conference could also get involved because it's not just Akron that sucks in baseball, it's almost the entire MAC.

Part of the problem could be solved by having the MAC drop baseball as a mandatory sport. It makes no sense as a northern league. Maybe three or four MAC teams drop it to save money, and the talent pool becomes a little less diluted.

Another part of the problem is the game of baseball itself. No major sport is more boring to watch when your team is losing than baseball, except maybe soccer.

Let's not get crazy here. Baseball is far more interesting to watch (even when you are losing by 15 runs in the middle of the game like today) than soccer. I know it's a matter of personal preference but obviously baseball is due to the fact that baseball is FAR more popular at every level from High School on up.

Also, I spoke with a parent of a recruit for a second today and he had just asked me and some others if we thought that Bangston would still be there next year. I told him i would think so (but i wish he wouldn't be) but i got the feeling he wasn't asking that for assurance but more so hoping that he would be gone.

I can think of about 100 million folks who watched the UEFA Champion League final today who might disagree with this.

and 4 of them speak English.

Exactly...just because a bunch of third world countries like soccer doesn't make it great.

Soccer may be the most popular sport in the world but it has nothing to do with being exciting to watch. It's very similar to the reason that 99% of inner city kids play basketball...they can't afford to play anything else! All you need to play soccer is a ball and open space. Pretty easy to set up. Though that's not the case with every country (Britain), countries that have a higher average household income play less boring sports it sure seems.

When I asked about fixing the program, I was referring to our play in the MAC. I never expected us to compete on a national level, few northern schools do. It wasn't about attendance either. I mentioned the charity game against Can't because we got embarassed in front of 1800 people in OUR CITY. That is unacceptable to me as an alumnus. We used to compete with Can't, I don't know if this year is an anomaly or not, and that is why I asked the question.

We need new facilties for almost every sport. There should be no comparison between soccer and baseball. Should be no jealousy either, the programs are what they are. But with baseball we should be able to compete to win the MAC every year. No reason we can't get good talent. Heck recruit internationally like the tennis team does.

Soccer is soccer, it's our elite program, they are getting their new facilities and are closer to having everything funded then you might think. If the baseball field needs fixed then maybe the coach needs to bring that to the attention of the alumni.

Exactly...just because a bunch of third world countries like soccer doesn't make it great.

Soccer may be the most popular sport in the world but it has nothing to do with being exciting to watch. It's very similar to the reason that 99% of inner city kids play basketball...they can't afford to play anything else! All you need to play soccer is a ball and open space. Pretty easy to set up. Though that's not the case with every country (Britain), countries that have a higher average household income play less boring sports it sure seems.

Baseball is less boring than soccer?

I wonder if they have that same argument in India. "Cricket is far less boring than soccer Apu, sure it can take 3 days to finish a game but I mean there is more equipment involved so it must be more exciting right?"

Good point. I was going to suggest that g-mann probably has more fingers and toes than the number of college teams that average 1800+ in attendance, but I was unsure how frequently and with what degree of skill, he operates power tools.

I am going to add you to my "not really totally sure about the proper use of commas" list...

Soccer and baseball are very similar when you think about it.

If you just take a glance, both look like there's nothing going on. Both are relatively low scoring in NFL/NBA land.

If you look a little deeper, you see an incredible amo9unt of strategy and decision making going into every play. Every pitch. Every swing or take. Every dribble. Every pass.

In both the defense sets up depending on the opponent and the situation. Soccer even has different formations depending on the situation.

The kicker (no pun intended) is if you ever stepped into a set of soccer cleats, went out on a field, and played a full 90 minutes, you would see what sets soccer apart from any other sport. Science tells us it's the most physically demanding sport in the world.

You have to look past your prejudices that have been socialized into you, find a team you have a "rooting interest" in, and let yourself get drawn in.

Then you will understand.

Don't kid yourself. I bet the WC draws better ratings in the US than any of the baseball games on TV during that time.

A once every 4 years event should draw decent ratings...but to say it draws better than any Major League Baseball games is unfair, to prove any point it would have to draw better than ALL MLB games during that time combined. And those games are middle of the season nothing games.

I'm sorry but you are kidding yourself if you think soccer is even relevant, let alone bigger than baseball in any way.

Good point. I was going to suggest that g-mann probably has more fingers and toes than the number of college teams that average 1800+ in attendance, but I was unsure how frequently and with what degree of skill, he operates power tools.

I am going to add you to my "not really totally sure about the proper use of commas" list...

You may have a point. I may have gone into a comma coma. Feel free to move one around to your position of choice.

• 3 weeks later...
Soccer and baseball are very similar when you think about it.

Both are terrible and boring to watch.

Not an opinion held by all...but understandable. Let's keep it as opinion rather than a statement of fact. No need to denigrate or ridicule anyone who likes baseball, soccer, ________ or has an opposing opinion....unless the opinion is in favor Can't State.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll tell you guys what.

I attended my first Lake Erie Crushers game the other night, and I changed my mind completely about minor league baseball and what UA should do with it's baseball facilities.

The first half of the game was social hour for the women in attendance. Across rows, across sections. I don't think they knew what event they were at.

Then they all left.

We were then left with wild kids and drunk men, both falling all over us. What they need is drunk wild women, but I'll stay on topic here.

I really missed sitting in the "stands" at UA with a few other people, you can talk baseball with someone else or just sit and watch. Pull up a folding chair on the bank. Very few kids, no drunks, no Pop Tart races or whatever those costumes were. No trying to leave and kids running you over trying to get to the "Run The Bases" gimmick (sadly that's the first time some of those kids have run in months).

Just keep the ballpark the loveable dinky retaining basin for the soccer field it is. A place for BASEBALL FANS!!!