24/7 LeBron

GP1

The Cavaliers may have lost in the Finals, but LeBron James‘ return to Cleveland was the most important event in the franchise’s history. To commemorate the Cavs’ season, which involved making the Finals despite injuries to Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love, Nike has taken out a full-page ad in the Cleveland Plain Dealer recounting the season, with a twist.

Here’s the full advertisement:

LBJadPD.jpg

Phil Jackson not a fan.

I have an observation on this season regarding the fans. And I am not a Cavs fan or non-fan, but was pulling for LeBron to win this title.

I find it rather comical that many of the same people (certainly) who burned his jersey, drove by his home shouting obscenities, and paid thousands of dollars for a ticket to a Miami Heat game just to heckle him have now suddenly become diehard supporters. And now that they didn't win the title, social media shows that at least some fans appear ready to return to being cynics all over again....he took too many shots, it's "all about him", etc., when he is one of the most multi-dimensional, team-oriented guys who's ever played the game.

So, I'm anxious to see next season if the tide has really turned again? Will the fans badger him for what they perceive as "selfishness", especially with Love and Irving's return? Or, will the idolization of LeBron from former haters resume until the next playoff series loss?

I was talking to an old friend of mine a couple of weeks ago who's a lifetime Cavs fan. He told me that he wanted LeBron to lose, has hated him since he left Cleveland, and wasn't going to watch the Finals. And he knows I'm a LeBron supporter. He was stunned at my response when I told him, "I applaud you for at least being consistent".

I have an observation on this season regarding the fans. And I am not a Cavs fan or non-fan, but was pulling for LeBron to win this title.

I find it rather comical that many of the same people (certainly) who burned his jersey, drove by his home shouting obscenities, and paid thousands of dollars for a ticket to a Miami Heat game just to heckle him have now suddenly become diehard supporters. And now that they didn't win the title, social media shows that at least some fans appear ready to return to being cynics all over again....he took too many shots, it's "all about him", etc., when he is one of the most multi-dimensional, team-oriented guys who's ever played the game.

So, I'm anxious to see next season if the tide has really turned again? Will the fans badger him for what they perceive as "selfishness", especially with Love and Irving's return? Or, will the idolization of LeBron from former haters resume until the next playoff series loss?

I was talking to an old friend of mine a couple of weeks ago who's a lifetime Cavs fan. He told me that he wanted LeBron to lose, has hated him since he left Cleveland, and wasn't going to watch the Finals. And he knows I'm a LeBron supporter. He was stunned at my response when I told him, "I applaud you for at least being consistent".

I think you need to quit stereotyping. Most of us root for the name on the front, not the name on the back. I have not seen any fans criticize him and if there have been, they are in the large minority. Stop letting the media get to you. Your friend is a bitter old man and I pity him. How in the hell are you a Cavs fan and not watch or root for them to win the finals? Almost feel like you're trolling.

• 2 months later...

LeBron James keeps aiming to make a difference in his hometown of Akron, Ohio.

Less than a month after announcing that he and the University of Akron were partnering to give guaranteed four-year scholarships to qualified students in James' I Promise program, the Cleveland Cavaliers star has joined with another local initiative to help out those students' parents.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

His Nike contract is now valued at $1 billion. That's just one contract, it doesn't count his NBA salary, other brand deals, or any movie royalties. Plus if he really does do a Space Jam 2 and it lives up to the hype, his value could grow by a significant amount. Crazy to think about.

Edited by ZachTheZip

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, ZachTheZip said:

Well, he did it. He broke the Cleveland Curse. The man is officially a sports legend.

I never like to say that someone's legacy can be defined by a few games.  But this is one of those cases.  Total dominance, and the first player ever to lead in ALL of the major statistical categories in a championship series.  

He goes from being on the brink of 2-5 in championships, to again being talked about as the Greatest EVER.  Unbelievable.  

2 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

Hopefully he stays at least another season to defend it. It will be interesting to see how the GSW retool.

Funny.  Just a week ago, everyone (including the Beacon) was talking about how Cleveland wasn't built to match up with Golden State.  Even Cleveland's GM said last night that they were not.  This was all a near-miracle. 

I know how Golden State will "retool".  Go back to practice in the fall, and hope they don't lose their starting big man at the absolute worst time possible, and hope Draymond behaves himself.   I'm sure they hope Curry isn't playing late in the playoffs right after sitting out with a knee injury, or Iguodala isn't nursing back spasms.  

What reason would Golden State have to "retool"?  As much as I am a die-hard LeBron fan, I also understand that breaks in the playoffs (such as health) often affect the outcome.  

Edited by skip-zip
edit

Before getting too wrapped up in "what about next season", perhaps we should live in the moment & enjoy and savor this. It's been a looooooong time coming and is so sweet in the way it happened...home town boy delivers and coming back from 3-1 deficit among others. 

THANKS LEBRON and the CLEVELAND CAVALIERS. 

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 1

Akron mayor releases details on Thursday LeBron James celebration.

The City of Akron and the LeBron James Family Foundation will host a celebration for Akron's own LeBron James Thursday at Lock 3. Gates will open at 7 p.m. James and his students from Wheels for Education and IPromise Network will be featured. Admission to the event and parking downtown will be free The city plans to rent giant screens, bring in water, and pay for security for the event, which Mayor Dan Horrigan states will could cost at least $50,000. However, multiple companies in Akron have donated money to offset that cost. Horrigan estimates 7,000 people can fit in Lock 3 and 3,000 can fit outside the fence.

On 6/20/2016 at 11:22 AM, skip-zip said:

Funny.  Just a week ago, everyone (including the Beacon) was talking about how Cleveland wasn't built to match up with Golden State.  Even Cleveland's GM said last night that they were not.  This was all a near-miracle. 

I know how Golden State will "retool".  Go back to practice in the fall, and hope they don't lose their starting big man at the absolute worst time possible, and hope Draymond behaves himself.   I'm sure they hope Curry isn't playing late in the playoffs right after sitting out with a knee injury, or Iguodala isn't nursing back spasms.  

What reason would Golden State have to "retool"?  As much as I am a die-hard LeBron fan, I also understand that breaks in the playoffs (such as health) often affect the outcome.  

We will see if they stand pat or make some changes. There are already reports that they will pursue Kevin Durant and possibly J.R. Smith in free agency.

https://goldengatesports.com/2016/06/24/golden-state-warriors-looking-re-tool-not-re-build/

Edited by ZippyRulz