24/7 LeBron

GP1

LBJ has plenty of time to be "loyal" to whatever anyone thinks he needs to be loyal to. Let's say he has 10 years left in his career. He will be around 35 when he steps aside. He will then have about 60 years to be "loyal" to Akron. Scholarships, foundations, community centers, etc wold be a good way of showing how loyal he is to Akron. They would be lasting monuments to his loyalty.
I agree. If Akron fans can find a silver lining, I think this is it. His guilt for leaving may make him do more.

What makes anyone think that LeBron is going to remain loyal to Akron after he's lived in Miami for a few winters? He said the final step in feeling OK about his decision was when his mother told him he had to do what was right for him. So consider the whole loyalty thing in light of being loyal to oneself. If LeBron decides it's the right thing for him to completely ditch Ohio altogether, including Akron, and adopt Miami or somewhere else as his new home, it would just be another way of proving that he's loyal to himself.

I might be inclined to believe that this is a possiblity, if it wasn't for the fact that he continues to emphatically declare his loyalty to Akron as his hometown over, and over, and over again when he's making public appearances, accepting awards, etc.

At the very least, I think it's awfully premature to believe that he's only loyal to himself when all he's done here is decide to play for one NBA franchise instead of another. And NEITHER of these two franchises are located in his hometown.

What makes anyone think that LeBron is going to remain loyal to Akron after he's lived in Miami for a few winters? He said the final step in feeling OK about his decision was when his mother told him he had to do what was right for him. So consider the whole loyalty thing in light of being loyal to oneself. If LeBron decides it's the right thing for him to completely ditch Ohio altogether, including Akron, and adopt Miami or somewhere else as his new home, it would just be another way of proving that he's loyal to himself.

Of course, there's no way of knowing, with certainty, what the future holds. All we can know and go on is the past. And, in LBJ's case, this shows us that while he's never once claimed loyalty to or affinity for the city 40 miles north, he has again and again and again both claimed and proved loyal to and love of his hometown.

Now, honestly, the way some people (i.e., ABJ - who cares what Clevelanders think or feel) are reacting this a.m., I'm afraid we're going to actually drive him away from Akron. It would probably have been better if he was never drafted by the Cleveland team.

I've seen this idea tossed out in the media, and we'd better be intelligent enough not to buy it - that LeBron is like Art Modell. We in Akron had better not treat OUR hometown MVP like Cleveland and Art Modell. If we do, we'll almost certainly drive him out. What a meaningless yet profound self-inflicted wound that would be.

I'm an Akron fan. I'm a LeBron fan (and a fan of anyone else or corporation from our fair city.) I'm gonna stay true to LBJ as long as he stays true to us. He hasn't done ANYTHING to diss Akron.

Due to our almost absolute lack of Akron media and saturation of Cleveland media(which is an unspeakably powerful influence), we've got to fight to keep the distinction between Akron and Cleveland clear in our minds.

I might be inclined to believe that this is a possiblity, if it wasn't for the fact that he continues to emphatically declare his loyalty to Akron as his hometown over, and over, and over again when he's making public appearances, accepting awards, etc.

At the very least, I think it's awfully premature to believe that he's only loyal to himself when all he's done here is decide to play for one NBA franchise instead of another. And NEITHER of these two franchises are located in his hometown.

Amen, well said. That's the distinction that needs to be seen (and felt.) Obviously, the Cleveland media will fight to the death to blur that distinction (because, when it benefits them, they want to claim everything-Akron for themselves) and, unfortunately, our own ABJ has failed to make this critical distinction (because they've been Cleveland whores for decades now.)

My greatest fear is that most Akron-area folk won't be free-thinking enough, to see through & not be swayed by the media's sensationalism. I'm afraid our own ABJ, instead of sticking up for LBJ, will actually try to turn LBJ into a "bad-buy-professional-wrestler" type of caricature.

Hence today's ABJ headline (notice the lack of distinction) "Homewrecker."

LBJ has plenty of time to be "loyal" to whatever anyone thinks he needs to be loyal to. Let's say he has 10 years left in his career. He will be around 35 when he steps aside. He will then have about 60 years to be "loyal" to Akron. Scholarships, foundations, community centers, etc wold be a good way of showing how loyal he is to Akron. They would be lasting monuments to his loyalty.

I wanted LBJ to stay because I like the Cavs. Now that he is gone, I'm not too upset. It's his decision to make and he made the decision he felt was best for him. I don't think there is malice in his heart, but I do think this whole episode (ESPN special, waiting to make his decision, etc) put him in an unflattering light. He is overexposed in a way that the public is starting to dislike him. I'm just sick of hearing about it and he needs to take himself out of his own spotlight for a while.

Akron is a hill I'd die on, so I'm gonna fight for our hometown boy. But I do think LBJ could have handled the situation a bit better by letting the media know ahead of time that Cleveland was not going to be one of the final teams in the running for his services.

LBJ leaving Cleveland doesn't come close to the trainwrecks that were The Fumble, Drive and Shot.

...the Browns were as good those two years as the 49ers were with Montana.

The economy of Cleveland is not going to get any worse because LBJ is leaving.

Please expand.

Sorry. I'll try, but I'm not very motivated.

1) I'm not a Browns fan, but I'm only guessing the emotional effect of the Cavs/Browns fan has the same punched in the gut feeling this morning. The disappointment may be bigger with the old stuff, but the hatred is greater now. I think most of the sports world hurts for Cleveland fans this morning. 2) Winners find a way to win, losers find a way to lose. Montana winner, Browns losers. 3) Worse economy today.

1. As a Steelers fan, I can only describe how I felt after the Fumble and Drive and project that level of joy into the level of misery Browns fans felt. Let's just say, after the Drive and Fumble, I could only be described as "glowing as if I had just had sex with a super model....twice a day......for a month". The level of misery for Browns fans those days had to be horrible. Those were sudden gut punches after three hours of exciting playoff football. People could at least see the LBJ thing coming.

2. The Browns may have lost those games, but they weren't losers. It's sort of like being a Steelers fan in the 70s. If a couple of plays go differently in a couple of Super Bowls, they don't win as many. That wouldn't have made the Steelers losers and it didn't make teams like the Cowboys losers either. The Cowboys just had a few plays go wrong for them.

3. I'm still not convinced the economy of Cleveland is going to collapse or even depends on the Cavs. The Cavs can still be good next year and maybe fans will back a gritty LBJless Cavs team. If they are good and the fans don't back them, they should take back all of the loyalty crap that has been spewed the past couple of months. The Cavs organization has done nothing wrong during this period and if they produce a playoff team next year and the fans don't turn out, shame on the fans. It's the winter in Cleveland, what else is there to do other than go to Cavs games and have a few beers downtown. They aren't going from 20,000 per game to even 3,000. The Cavs will have solid crowds next year and if they can remain a playoff team, they can have big crowds into the future. Their management needs to get on the stick.

He hasn't done ANYTHING to diss Akron. ...., we've got to fight to keep the distinction between Akron and Cleveland clear in our minds.
Yes, and no. More than 90% or NBA fans that live in Akron are Cavs fans. He pooped on Cavs fans last night on national tv. That hurt/dissed a lot of people that live in Akron. The one thing I can say about LBJ, he has said "Akron" so much in the media that most of the media people are repeating it. I think most people around the country realize he's from Akron and not Cleveland. I'm not sure that really helps anything though. Maybe if the University builds a South Beach branch.

He hasn't done ANYTHING to diss Akron. ...., we've got to fight to keep the distinction between Akron and Cleveland clear in our minds.
Yes, and no. More than 90% or NBA fans that live in Akron are Cavs fans. He pooped on Cavs fans last night on national tv. That hurt/dissed a lot of people that live in Akron. The one thing I can say about LBJ, he has said "Akron" so much in the media that most of the media people are repeating it. I think most people around the country realize he's from Akron and not Cleveland. I'm not sure that really helps anything though. Maybe if the University builds a South Beach branch.

Very true - have you EVER heard "Akron, Akron, Akron" repeated so often on a national scale?! It's unprecedented and fantastic.

Plus, this is easier for me to take because I'm a zealous/jealous Zips fan who gets ticked off @ the ABJ for covering Cleveland's teams more so than our own hometown university's teams & ticked @ the Cleveland television media for ABSOLUTELY ignoring UA.

I'm a truly happy camper this a.m.

Again, I maintain, we must keep our identity clear in our minds - as LeBron has always done. We're not Clevelanders. We're Akronites.

Screw the "regionalism" bull sh!t. Cleveland is only concerned with "regionalism" when it benefits them ("Cleveland+", what a fricking joke). Otherwise, they'd prefer that Akron not exist.

Burn, Cleveland, burn.

You go, 'Bron-'Bron! Akron's got your back.

LeBron has been and will always be loyal to Akron. He's NEVER ONCE said that about Cleveland. Cleveland was simply his job. He moved to a better professional position. It has nothing to do with Akron. He's still gonna live here and be from here.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks who have some "slightly wet" land in South Florida they can sell you cheap so you can move down there with your AKRON hero. LeBron SAYS he's loyal to Akron, but his actions don't support his words. Other than holding events and getting us Nike uniforms, what has LeBron done for UA or Akron? Did he say anything on his callous special last night about appreciating the support of fans in Akron? How does Dwayne Wade's b*tch help Akron by winning an NBA Championship with Wade and Bosch. The focus won't even be on LeBron, and Akron will never be mentioned.

If he keeps going the arrogant direction he is going, not many are going to have his back. The people of Akron are decent people and they will turn their back on continued displays of LBJ 24/7, produced by ESPN. He needs to fire the person who is giving him the advice that everything is about him.

LeBron has been and will always be loyal to Akron. He's NEVER ONCE said that about Cleveland. Cleveland was simply his job. He moved to a better professional position. It has nothing to do with Akron. He's still gonna live here and be from here.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks who have some "slightly wet" land in South Florida they can sell you cheap so you can move down there with your AKRON hero. LeBron SAYS he's loyal to Akron, but his actions don't support his words. Other than holding events and getting us Nike uniforms, what has LeBron done for UA or Akron? Did he say anything on his callous special last night about appreciating the support of fans in Akron? How does Dwayne Wade's b*tch help Akron by winning an NBA Championship with Wade and Bosch. The focus won't even be on LeBron, and Akron will never be mentioned.

"Other than holding events..." Okay, it's now obvious that he'll never do enough in your eyes. It's simply a fact that he's brought the city and university unprecedented exposure. Heck, Google's probably hotter with "Akron" right now than with "Paris," "London," or "New York."

Additionally, the only way LeBron leaves Akron on a permanent basis is if Akronites drive him out because they wish they were from Cleveland. LeBron's proud to be from Akron. Are we?

There seems as if there will be a line drawn between Cleveland Cavs fans and LeBron fans. Many Akronites are Cleveland Cavs fans. We'll see where the stronger loyalty lies.

It's an easy and clear distinction for me; I'm not a Cleveland Cavs fan. If they were the Akron Cavs, that'd be another story. LeBron, on the other hand, is actually from our city. Why should I care where he gets paid to play professional ball?

Ironically (and, like much irony, this may seem counter-intuitive), LeBron's actually done the Akron area a favor in that he has now drawn the proverbial line in the sand. It's about time someone from Akron did. He has now made the deliniation quite clear: Where does our loyalty reside? How do we view ourselves? As the Akron area, or as a suburb of Cleveland? If Akron turns on LeBron in favor of Cleveland, I think I'll be crushed and probably give up hope of our fair city ever truly having an identity in, and of, ourselves.

How could "most" people around the country recognize that he is from Akron, when sports media people all over the country often fail to make this distinction? And don't believe for a second that Cleveland has not tried really, really hard over these last 7 seasons to convince sports fans all over the country that Akron is really just a Cleveland "suburb".

How could "most" people around the country recognize that he is from Akron, when sports media people all over the country often fail to make this distinction? And don't believe for a second that Cleveland has not tried really, really hard over these last 7 seasons to convince sports fans all over the country that Akron is really just a Cleveland "suburb".

AMEN! Continue to fight the power, skip-zip! :bow:

Me? I'm a U of Akron fan, I do not live in Akron [moved out in '63], the only reason I rooted for the Cavs was the KD-LBJ connection.

I hope that LBJ is successful in MIA, again foir the KD connection. His choice is his and only his, would not have made the move myself because of family, it's important to have stability in and of the home, and the seperation from his kids and their mother will be compounded. Bad move

..... Additionally, the only way LeBron leaves Akron on a permanent basis is if Akronites drive him out because they wish they were from Cleveland. .....

The only way? So, if LeBron decides for any reason that Miami is a nicer place to live on a permanent basis, it would be Akronites' fault for not giving him enough unconditional worship to keep him here?

That's a pretty heavy guilt trip to try to lay on the people of Akron, and I doubt that many will buy into it.

Let's be honest here. None of us really knows what's going to happen next. LeBron could remain loyal to Akron until the day he dies, or he could discover that Miami is his true hometown and ditch Akron completely, or anything in between. But it's all up to LeBron, not to us. He's no longer a physically precocious kid. He's an adult who is responsible for his own actions, good, bad or indifferent.

..... Additionally, the only way LeBron leaves Akron on a permanent basis is if Akronites drive him out because they wish they were from Cleveland. .....

The only way? So, if LeBron decides for any reason that Miami is a nicer place to live on a permanent basis, it would be Akronites' fault for not giving him enough unconditional worship to keep him here?

That's a pretty heavy guilt trip to try to lay on the people of Akron, and I doubt that many will buy into it.

Let's be honest here. None of us really knows what's going to happen next. LeBron could remain loyal to Akron until the day he dies, or he could discover that Miami is his true hometown and ditch Akron completely, or anything in between. But it's all up to LeBron, not to us. He's no longer a physically precocious kid. He's an adult who is responsible for his own actions, good, bad or indifferent.

Exactly. Who really knows the future. We can only go by what's happened in the past. And if LeBron stays true to what he's done in the past, he's not dissing Akron. Heck, he really only lives here for 3 months out of the year anyhow. The rest of the year he's in hotel rooms.

Precedent dictates he's staying in Akron. Of course, tomorrow he may decide to build a lunar module and orbit the planet in the off season. Who really knows for sure? Nobody. But that's precisely why we've got to base most of our assumptions on past experience.

I frequent a couple Cleveland sports forums and take more crap for standing up for Akron and the U than anybody else. And that will never change.

LeBron doesn't represent Akron. He represents Hollywood.

LeBron doesn't represent blue collar, hard work to get it done. He represents the easy way out.

LeBron doesn't represent team. He represents quitting.

He represents making a fool out of all of us on national TV. He represents his brand.

If you guys still love him, I won't think less of you. But he no longer has my respect. He no longer represents me. I am not going to kiss his butt and defend him anymore just because he's from Akron. There are a lot of famous people from Akron. Not all were for doing something positive...

You know what, I had class at the JAR this morning. After class I walked through the first floor to the front. Looked at the arena. That's where the REAL heroes play. Not the ones with multi-million dollar contracts. Not the ones who quit in the big games and everyone makes excuses for them.

I looked up and saw his banners hanging down for his skills camp. Thought about the Nike billboard in Cleveland. That's all he's about.

Maybe one day he'll grow up.

You know what, I had class at the JAR this morning. After class I walked through the first floor to the front. Looked at the arena. That's where the REAL heroes play. Not the ones with multi-million dollar contracts. Not the ones who quit in the big games and everyone makes excuses for them.

610x.jpg

This is what players who leave it all on the floor for their team look like.

med_gallery_2_3_207398.jpg

That's what a championship win @ Quicken Loans arena looks like.

Get a new fathead. :D

They have been marked down drastically on the Fathead website, from $99.99 to $17.41.

It's no coincidence that Cleveland Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert is the driving financial force behind Fathead. The $17.41 price isn't random either, because 1741 is the birth year of the first traitor of note in American history, Benedict Arnold.

Exactly. Who really knows the future. We can only go by what's happened in the past. And if LeBron stays true to what he's done in the past, he's not dissing Akron. Heck, he really only lives here for 3 months out of the year anyhow. The rest of the year he's in hotel rooms.

Precedent dictates he's staying in Akron. Of course, tomorrow he may decide to build a lunar module and orbit the planet in the off season. Who really knows for sure? Nobody. But that's precisely why we've got to base most of our assumptions on past experience.

We know his money situation is not an issue, but I still doubt that he would have built his mega-mansion in Bath if he did not intended on spending a good amount of time in Akron, whenever possible, in the future.

We've all said it. We don't really know what he's going to do. But, unlike many athletes, he's shown a continued effort to give back to Akron, and has publicized Akron on countless occassions. I think that's a great sign if you care about Akron, value his contributions to our city, and feel optimistic about what he'll do for Akron in the future.

"Other than holding events..." Okay, it's now obvious that he'll never do enough in your eyes. It's simply a fact that he's brought the city and university unprecedented exposure. Heck, Google's probably hotter with "Akron" right now than with "Paris," "London," or "New York."

Additionally, the only way LeBron leaves Akron on a permanent basis is if Akronites drive him out because they wish they were from Cleveland. LeBron's proud to be from Akron. Are we?

There seems as if there will be a line drawn between Cleveland Cavs fans and LeBron fans. Many Akronites are Cleveland Cavs fans. We'll see where the stronger loyalty lies.

It's an easy and clear distinction for me; I'm not a Cleveland Cavs fan. If they were the Akron Cavs, that'd be another story. LeBron, on the other hand, is actually from our city. Why should I care where he gets paid to play professional ball?

Ironically (and, like much irony, this may seem counter-intuitive), LeBron's actually done the Akron area a favor in that he has now drawn the proverbial line in the sand. It's about time someone from Akron did. He has now made the deliniation quite clear: Where does our loyalty reside? How do we view ourselves? As the Akron area, or as a suburb of Cleveland? If Akron turns on LeBron in favor of Cleveland, I think I'll be crushed and probably give up hope of our fair city ever truly having an identity in, and of, ourselves.

Wow. You will buy anything.

If he keeps going the arrogant direction he is going, not many are going to have his back. The people of Akron are decent people and they will turn their back on continued displays of LBJ 24/7, produced by ESPN. He needs to fire the person who is giving him the advice that everything is about him.

+1

he's shown a continued effort to give back to Akron, and has publicized Akron on countless occassions. I think that's a great sign if you care about Akron, value his contributions to our city, and feel optimistic about what he'll do for Akron in the future.
What if he goes on and wins 5 championships for the rest of his career (none in CLE) and continues his support in Akron. Will Akron ever build a LeBron statue to honor his contributions? Do you think someday LBJ will want respect like that from his hometown?