24/7 LeBron

GP1

11 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Best thing for the Cavs in the long run. 

I'd be interested in reading the logistics of your theory. The last time LeBron left Cleveland, the franchise value dropped 25 percent in a single year. Cleveland ticket broker expects prices to fall 60 percent. It will be interesting to see how far the tv numbers fall. 

Can't say for sure, but I will guess I will watch more Lakers games than Cavs games next year. Might be close, probably one Cavs game, and two or three Lakers games. Possibly zero, to one. My chance of watching a full Lakers game on a weekday in the eastern time zone is zero, but I'm sure they will take all the Cavs primetime weekend game slots. At least you can update your #23 Cleveland jersey to a Lakers one for free now. 

Just when you think you've seen it all in Cleveland sports. #sad

DhDynS0XcAAasXp.jpg

2 hours ago, Dr Z said:

I'd be interested in reading the logistics of your theory. The last time LeBron left Cleveland, the franchise value dropped 25 percent in a single year. Cleveland ticket broker expects prices to fall 60 percent. It will be interesting to see how far the tv numbers fall. 

When LeBron is involved in your organization, your organization is held hostage by his ego. I also believe LeBron's basketball IQ is highly overrated, so him controlling your franchise isn't a good thing strictly from that standpoint.

When LeBron came back in 2014, the Cavs had Andrew Wiggins, Kyrie Irving, and some cap space. LeBron pushed to trade Wiggins for Love, and proceeded to use the open cap space to sign his veteran buddies. He had Blatt fired, and replaced with the joke-of-a-coach in Ty Lue, strictly because Lue would listen to LeBron. The loss in '15 was due to the injuries to Kyrie & love. The victory in '16 was improbable, and I'm thankful for it, but then Golden State adapted, going out and adding KD. Ironically enough, LeBron started the super team trend, and was ultimately defeated by the trend he started. Instead of wisely using any cap space we had to get younger, LeBron pushed for big contracts for JR & Thompson - contracts we're still stuck with while he's out in LA now. The constant drama that surrounded the team got real old, and we greatly underachieved, only winning 1 title. He never committed to Cleveland once he came back, and pulled this team/fan base through the mud throughout all of his contract crap.

Now we're sitting here, some saying the Cavs are going to suck, because LeBron failed to allow the Cavs to prepare for the future. If the Cavs are wise, they follow the Celtics model - hire a good coach (I've been saying for a while I'd hand Jay Wright a blank check to come coach the Cavs), establish a system, and build through the draft. Eventually, you'll have a product that will attract some key free agents. A team that nails those steps, as the Celtics have, will achieve more than what LeBron has achieved. 

Edit: Side note. If you want to see how bad LeBron is as a GM, the Cavs now have the 2nd lowest title odds in the NBA since his departure. Pathetic. Good riddance. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

8 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

Thanks for the response. In general, I think your theory overestimates LeBron's involvement in player personnel, and underestimating his talent level. 

I didn't talk about his talent. He's great. Top 2 talent of all time. 

I think you're underestimating LeBron's involvement in player personnel. 

11 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

When LeBron is involved in your organization, your organization is held hostage by his ego. I also believe LeBron's basketball IQ is highly overrated, so him controlling your franchise isn't a good thing strictly from that standpoint.

When LeBron came back in 2014, the Cavs had Andrew Wiggins, Kyrie Irving, and some cap space. LeBron pushed to trade Wiggins for Love, and proceeded to use the open cap space to sign his veteran buddies. He had Blatt fired, and replaced with the joke-of-a-coach in Ty Lue, strictly because Lue would listen to LeBron. The loss in '15 was due to the injuries to Kyrie & love. The victory in '16 was improbable, and I'm thankful for it, but then Golden State adapted, going out and adding KD. Ironically enough, LeBron started the super team trend, and was ultimately defeated by the trend he started. Instead of wisely using any cap space we had to get younger, LeBron pushed for big contracts for JR & Thompson - contracts we're still stuck with while he's out in LA now. The constant drama that surrounded the team got real old, and we greatly underachieved, only winning 1 title. He never committed to Cleveland once he came back, and pulled this team/fan base through the mud throughout all of his contract crap.

Now we're sitting here, some saying the Cavs are going to suck, because LeBron failed to allow the Cavs to prepare for the future. If the Cavs are wise, they follow the Celtics model - hire a good coach (I've been saying for a while I'd hand Jay Wright a blank check to come coach the Cavs), establish a system, and build through the draft. Eventually, you'll have a product that will attract some key free agents. A team that nails those steps, as the Celtics have, will achieve more than what LeBron has achieved. 

Edit: Side note. If you want to see how bad LeBron is as a GM, the Cavs now have the 2nd lowest title odds in the NBA since his departure. Pathetic. Good riddance. 

HE'S WON THREE NBA TITLES. Including the only Cleveland pro championship in my lifetime (and I'm 52). 

The Cavs were 19-63 the season after he left for Miami.

Have fun with that team. They couldn't make the playoffs without him.

Edited by Spin
  • Like 2

On 7/2/2018 at 10:18 AM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

First off, LeBron didn't create super teams. IDK where this idea came from. People seem to forgot a big reason LeBron left the 1st time was to overcome the super team of Boston. Before Boston there was the Lakers who added Malone and Gary Peyton to a team that already had Kobe & Shaq.

The Cavs sucked for the 30+ years before LeBron was drafted, they sucked the 4 years he was away in Miami, and they will suck for at least the next several years now that he's gone. Our only window of opportunity in the Cavs 48 years of existence to win a championship was LeBron's 4 years back. When you have a chance to win a title, you go all in. The Bulls sucked when Jordan retired, the Lakers sucked when Kobe was on the downturn of his career and retired, and so on. That's the price you pay for win now mode. The Spurs have been the lone exception and even they're on the verge of needing a rebuild. Did the Cavs overpay TT and JR? Sure, but even if both players signed for half of what they got the Cavs would have still been well over the cap and still couldn't have signed anyone. Had they let TT walk they wouldn't have won a title 2016 as their starting center would have had to be someone that would have had to of been willing to take the tax payer mid-level exception (roughly 3 million for 2016). Personally, as a fan that title was worth TT contract as it brought Cleveland it's 1st championship in 50 years. Who cares it cost Dan Gilbert 2-3 extra million per year. It's not like the money is coming out of your pocket.

JR has 1 more guaranteed year and TT 2 more guaranteed years left on his contract. Neither contract is really a hindrance to our long-term future.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 2

The NBA has been a star-driven league for as long as I've been a fan. If it wasn't Magic-Kareem it was Bird-McHale-Parish or Dr. J-Moses. Then Michael-Scottie and Shaq-Kobe and Duncan-Parker-Ginobili. Pierce-Allen- Garnett. The Twin Towers. And now we have the Warriors with FIVE FREAKIN ALL STARS. 

Now I realize Cleveland fans have been spoiled by the Price-Nance-Daugherty-Harper good guys team, and maybe that's why some despise the Type-A modern superstars like LeBron. But Price-Nance-Daugherty were the exceptions to the NBA mega-star personalities that bring banners to their cities.

In fact, I'll go so far as to say it was the goody goody fans who derailed what probably was the best team in Cavs history (and how many banners) by demanding they trade Ron Harper for something that turned out to be false. 

Be careful what you ask for...

Meanwhile, I'll just leave this here...B)

cavs-banner-nba-champs.jpg

Edited by Spin

43 minutes ago, Spin said:

In fact, I'll go so far as to say it was the goody goody fans who derailed what probably was the best team in Cavs history (and how many banners) by demanding they trade Ron Harper for something that turned out to be false. 

Be careful what you ask for...

:thumb:

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Lebron has been distancing himself from UA after he made a major contribution to the college of education which later was renamed the Lebron James Family Foundation School of Education. Sometime after that he started his I Promise chapter at Kent and guaranteed free education to those who finished. Something happened behind the scenes to pee him off with UA.

10 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

Lebron has been distancing himself from UA after he made a major contribution to the college of education which later was renamed the Lebron James Family Foundation School of Education. Sometime after that he started his I Promise chapter at Kent and guaranteed free education to those who finished. Something happened behind the scenes to pee him off with UA.

If this is the case it probably has to do with Williams hiring John Groce rather than coach Dru Joyce II to replace Keith Dambrot.  LBJ wrote a very nice letter of recommendation for Coach Dru (you can tell he didn't just throw it together) & he probably was trying to pull some strings behind the scenes (pure speculation). But Williams went with Groce.

Good for Williams.  Coach Dry is a great HS coach but you can't go from HS to the HC job at Akron.  

But anyway, as with Clayton Murphy, these two should be priority 1a & 1b as far as trying to smooth things over.  Both our president & AD are different ppl from when that went down.  

You may be right, but I will take a different view and say it is a result of how the university works with donors. In short it is pee poor. Their communication is horrible, they do not follow up on promises and they are rigid in their thinking. Perhaps under Gary Miller that will change, but it is painfully slow. The development dept does an average job, but the faculty and academics want to be left alone to do things as they always have. They have little shown evidence of flexibility to meet the desires of major donors. 

1 hour ago, 72 Roo said:

You may be right, but I will take a different view and say it is a result of how the university works with donors. In short it is pee poor. Their communication is horrible, they do not follow up on promises and they are rigid in their thinking. The development dept does an average job, but the faculty and academics want to be left alone to do things as they always have. They have little shown evidence of flexibility to meet the desires of major donors. 

I am a donor and found none of this to be true.

Communication has been excellent and I have been kept up to speed with everything they were doing.  Never once did anyone not get back to me after a voicemail by the end of the day. There has never been a single time where they didn't do exactly what they said they were going to do. I think people mistake rigidity for being slow at times. The Foundation moves slow because it is a state run foundation and laws of the State of Ohio make it seem as if it is moving slow, but they are really moving as fast as they can.

I have found them to be very good and not the average you describe. However, I have no basis of comparison.

Finally, I'm not sure why it is the job of the Foundation to meet the desires of major donors. The employees of the University are there to do what is in the best interest of the University. I don't donate because I expect anything from them. I donate because I want to give back. My only benefits are a tax deduction and a feeling of doing the right thing. Want an example of a school that allows itself to be bullied by major donors and I will point you to the Auburn Football program. A major donor is basically hiring and firing coaches out of his own pocket and the program is a disaster.  

LBJ does not run UofA. It is owned by the taxpayers of Ohio to benefit primarily the State of Ohio. If his decision making as it relates to the assembling of the Lakers is an indication of whether or not he should make decisions for UofA, I would say it's a good thing UofA did not hire a high school coach in place of Groce. The Lakers are terrible and the team's acquiescence to his opinions has put it there. I am not sure why anyone might think LBJ is a particularly smart person capable of making these decisions. He is basically a high school drop out who was handed a diploma from St. V-M because he played basketball there. I'd love to give the guy an IQ test. I bet he's a dumb as a stump. Let's not fool ourselves by believing there is much going on there between the ears. If the school let this guy make one decision, it would open the door for him to making more while holding money over UofA's head. Does anyone really think that's a good idea?  

Edited by GP1
  • Like 1

I agree with you about LBJ, I appreciate everything he's done to bring the region a professional sports championship, maybe the only one I will see in my lifetime. And what he's done for others in the community can't be overstated. 

As far as making any suggestions or decisions with the community, the university, or anything else, thanks anyways. I don't want him on the local pro basketball team either, there's a chemistry on that TEAM that any alpha-dog would disrupt. They're not the 2016 Cavs anymore.

Edited by Spin

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...