24/7 LeBron

GP1

We know his money situation is not an issue, but I still doubt that he would have built his mega-mansion in Bath if he did not intended on spending a good amount of time in Akron, whenever possible, in the future.

At one time that may have been true. Sometimes things remain the same and sometimes they change. After the way he chose to ditch the Cavs, I find it hard to understand how anyone can have any reasonable level of confidence that he might not act the same way in the future with others.

We've all said it. We don't really know what he's going to do. But, unlike many athletes, he's shown a continued effort to give back to Akron, and has publicized Akron on countless occassions. I think that's a great sign if you care about Akron, value his contributions to our city, and feel optimistic about what he'll do for Akron in the future.

Again, based on the way he chose to ditch the Cavs, I think that everything about him is now open to skepticism. For example, unlike other professional athletes, it just so happened that the NBA team in his backyard happened to luck into the first draft pick when he was available. So by pure circumstance, and not by some grand plan, he got to live near his old hometown, hang tight with his old buddies, and contribute some things that other pros who've moved away from their hometowns haven't.

What would have happened if Miami had the first draft choice and selected LeBron. Would he have been contributing as much to Akron? Or would he already have ditched everything related to Ohio and be basking in the glory of being the King of South Beach?

In the absence of answers to these questions, I personally have no confidence in predicting what he might do to anyone anytime.

LeBron has been and will always be loyal to Akron. He's NEVER ONCE said that about Cleveland. Cleveland was simply his job. He moved to a better professional position. It has nothing to do with Akron. He's still gonna live here and be from here.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks who have some "slightly wet" land in South Florida they can sell you cheap so you can move down there with your AKRON hero. LeBron SAYS he's loyal to Akron, but his actions don't support his words. Other than holding events and getting us Nike uniforms, what has LeBron done for UA or Akron? Did he say anything on his callous special last night about appreciating the support of fans in Akron? How does Dwayne Wade's b*tch help Akron by winning an NBA Championship with Wade and Bosch. The focus won't even be on LeBron, and Akron will never be mentioned.

"Other than holding events..." Okay, it's now obvious that he'll never do enough in your eyes. It's simply a fact that he's brought the city and university unprecedented exposure. Heck, Google's probably hotter with "Akron" right now than with "Paris," "London," or "New York."

Additionally, the only way LeBron leaves Akron on a permanent basis is if Akronites drive him out because they wish they were from Cleveland. LeBron's proud to be from Akron. Are we?

There seems as if there will be a line drawn between Cleveland Cavs fans and LeBron fans. Many Akronites are Cleveland Cavs fans. We'll see where the stronger loyalty lies.

It's an easy and clear distinction for me; I'm not a Cleveland Cavs fan. If they were the Akron Cavs, that'd be another story. LeBron, on the other hand, is actually from our city. Why should I care where he gets paid to play professional ball?

Ironically (and, like much irony, this may seem counter-intuitive), LeBron's actually done the Akron area a favor in that he has now drawn the proverbial line in the sand. It's about time someone from Akron did. He has now made the deliniation quite clear: Where does our loyalty reside? How do we view ourselves? As the Akron area, or as a suburb of Cleveland? If Akron turns on LeBron in favor of Cleveland, I think I'll be crushed and probably give up hope of our fair city ever truly having an identity in, and of, ourselves.

Wow. You will buy anything.

Listen, man, that's neither an insightful nor intelligent response. That's the polemical equivalent of sticking your tongue out. If you go back and read the history of my posts, you'll see I never argue on here. How's the saying go, "Arguing online is like the Special Olympics; even if you win you're still retarded." But if you disagree with the premise, or a point in the argument, tell us at what point and why.

Honestly, LeBron's viewpoint is really so simple: he's made it more than abundantly clear (for years now) that he's not from Cleveland. And by his professional evasiveness when pressed on his long-term commitment to the Cleveland Cavs, has made it obvious to any unbiased observer that Cleveland he woudl probably not have a career-long commitment to the Cleveland franchise.

Look, it's painfully obvious you're a Cavs fan over and above being a LeBron fan. No sweat, I get it. You, and many others, obviously find yourselves leaning toward the Cavs' interests as opposed to LeBron's interests. Again, no sweat, I get it. Just be self-aware enough to recognize that's what you're doing while at the same time realize LeBron's loyalty is to his hometown, not the Cleveland Cavaliers.

As a Cavs fan, you can be mad @ LeBron. But only Akronites can call him their favorite son. Clevelanders have no right to that. And LeBron made that abundantly clear last night.

Since repetition is the mother of learning, let's all repeat this simple fact again: Akron is not Cleveland, and Cleveland is not Akron.

Keep bringing home MVP's, LBJ!

he's shown a continued effort to give back to Akron, and has publicized Akron on countless occassions. I think that's a great sign if you care about Akron, value his contributions to our city, and feel optimistic about what he'll do for Akron in the future.
What if he goes on and wins 5 championships for the rest of his career (none in CLE) and continues his support in Akron. Will Akron ever build a LeBron statue to honor his contributions? Do you think someday LBJ will want respect like that from his hometown?

Good question about the statue. The way the media is spinning this as LeBron vs. NEO has me worried.

To think through this soberly and fairly, we absolutely must realize that LeBron has never pledged alligience to NEO. (And that's fine by me because the "regionalism" bullsh!t is just that, bullsh!t). If LeBron never pledged alligience to something, he can't be accused of betrayal, or being a "Benedict Arnold," as so many morons in the media have been saying.

LeBron has, however, pledged alligience to Akron - and that's more than enough for me. Now we'll see whether he is a man of his word.

he's shown a continued effort to give back to Akron, and has publicized Akron on countless occassions. I think that's a great sign if you care about Akron, value his contributions to our city, and feel optimistic about what he'll do for Akron in the future.
What if he goes on and wins 5 championships for the rest of his career (none in CLE) and continues his support in Akron. Will Akron ever build a LeBron statue to honor his contributions? Do you think someday LBJ will want respect like that from his hometown?

Good question about the statue. The way the media is spinning this as LeBron vs. NEO has me worried.

To think through this soberly and fairly, we absolutely must realize that LeBron has never pledged alligience to NEO. (And that's fine by me because the "regionalism" bullsh!t is just that, bullsh!t). If LeBron never pledged alligience to something, he can't be accused of betrayal, or being a "Benedict Arnold," as so many morons in the media have been saying.

LeBron has, however, pledged alligience to Akron - and that's more than enough for me. Now we'll see whether he is a man of his word.

Yes. It depends heavily on whether LeBron continues to do good things for Akron charities and the community. Right now isn't a good time to make a judgment on his legacy. Wait until he's nearing retirement and has had a chance to display signs of caring towards his home from afar.

I was all ready to stick with him. But the past month or so, he made TO and Ochocinco combined look like choir boys. He really turned me off with his showmanship, self importance, I just don't care for him anymore. What I consider him, can't be said here. "The King" "The Chosen One" "The Greatest of All Time". Get over yourself.

I don't care where he's from, or what he does for charity, it doesn't fix this. Maybe maturity will...

And I don't want TO or Ocho on the Browns either...

There seems as if there will be a line drawn between Cleveland Cavs fans and LeBron fans. Many Akronites are Cleveland Cavs fans. We'll see where the stronger loyalty lies.

Your Cleveland vs. Akron argument is pathetic. This isn't Akron vs. Cleveland. It is decent people all over the world vs. self absorbed a-holes.

Whether or not LBJ leaves Cleveland isn't that big of a deal to me. I always thought more of LBJ and last night was sickening. LBJ should be ashamed of himself and should be planning to fire his PR staff.

Look, it's painfully obvious you're a Cavs fan over and above being a LeBron fan. No sweat, I get it. You, and many others, obviously find yourselves leaning toward the Cavs' interests as opposed to LeBron's interests. Again, no sweat, I get it. Just be self-aware enough to recognize that's what you're doing while at the same time realize LeBron's loyalty is to his hometown, not the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Why wouldn't anyone support the Cavs over LBJ at this point? LBJ made an ass of himself the past few weeks. Why would anyone support an ass? Because he is from Akron? Is Akron so eager for some level of national acceptance the people should root for a-holes just because they are from Akron?

Your Cleveland vs. Akron argument is pathetic. This isn't Akron vs. Cleveland. It is decent people all over the world vs. self absorbed a-holes.

Whether or not LBJ leaves Cleveland isn't that big of a deal to me. I always thought more of LBJ and last night was sickening. LBJ should be ashamed of himself and should be planning to fire his PR staff.

I agree that LBJ should be thinking of firing his PR staff. Also, one could easily tell LBJ was extremely conflicted last night. This obviously was not an easy decision for him.

But your idea of "this is decent people all over the world vs. self-absorbed a-holes" is just laughable. LBJ's simply working the system as much as he can while he can. Shouldn't he? Most of us would probably do the same - though the sway LBJ has over ESPN is indeed unprecedented; these are uncharted waters. But the solution is an easy one: if you don't like it, don't turn in to ESPN. Honestly, it wasn't that big of a deal - that's why it was on ESPN and not CNN. You must have been watching ESPN last night, no? I'm going to assume that you consider yourself to be in the camp of "decent people all over the world?" That's classic.

And my "argument" of Cleveland vs. Akron isn't even an argument. It's simply a statement of fact. LeBron never claimed life-long loyalty to Cleveland whereas he has to Akron. It simply is what it is.

Now, honestly, I'm afraid this is blowing up in LeBron's face & we (in Akron) just might lose a tremendous asset. Only time will tell.

Why wouldn't anyone support the Cavs over LBJ at this point? LBJ made an ass of himself the past few weeks. Why would anyone support an ass? Because he is from Akron? Is Akron so eager for some level of national acceptance the people should root for a-holes just because they are from Akron?

This was like an ESPN signing day special. You may have seen one? Young folks do it all the time. Not a real big deal. I perceive, however, that you've never been featured on ESPN? Neither have I. But unlike you, I have no jealousy toward those who have.

Anyway, I'm out of here. Enough bitching & cat-fighting for me, ladies.

LBJ's simply working the system as much as he can while he can. Shouldn't he?

He can do whatever he wants. Everyone else can also call him out for being the jackass he is.

Here is the thing. I can't find a single story on the internet today that gives a glowing review of that nonsense that happened between 9 and 10 last night. Everything about it was pathetic. I would have loved to not watch. The problem was every freaking TV in the bar I was in had this bullshit on. People were making fun of it while it was going on.

Last night was a horrible night for LBJ.

Now you can go back to sniffing LBJ's jock.

This was like an ESPN signing day special. You may have seen one? Young folks do it all the time.

I've seen them and they are pathetic as well.

LBJ isn't a young person in high school. He is a grown man making millions and is in the public spotlight. Last night, he used to public spotlight to make an ass out of himself on national television.

As I continue to read some of these posts, you would think that this is the first time that a player entered free agency and decided to play for another team. Or, that an employee has never left his job to work for another company in the same line of work.

I understand being upset today if you are a big Cavs fan. I completely sympathize with you. A player on your favorite team decided to play for somebody else. Why?...we might never know. Could have been 100 different possible reasons. But for whatever reason, he decided to offer his services to somebody else. It happens all the time in the real world. You go find some other players/employees, and you move on.

There are a lot of strong feelings out there right now, and rightfully so. Things may look a lot different in four months when the season starts, or nine months when the games matter that much.

I'll see how I feel then. Until then, back to Akron Zips football and soccer. :cheers:

As I continue to read some of these posts, you would think that this is the first time that a player entered free agency and decided to play for another team. Or, that an employee has never left his job to work for another company in the same line of work.

I understand being upset today if you are a big Cavs fan. I completely sympathize with you. A player on your favorite team decided to play for somebody else. Why?...we might never know. Could have been 100 different possible reasons. But for whatever reason, he decided to offer his services to somebody else. It happens all the time in the real world. You go find some other players/employees, and you move on.

skip-zip, I agree completely. My anger stems from the way LeBum did it. On national television? And, he can say the money went to charity, but that is more evidence of his ME attitude. Has he ever donated any of his own money to anything?

As far as the Cavs, I never liked Danny Ferry as GM (or player...Ron Harper trade was terrible) and Mike Brown was a horrible coach (more of Ferry's stupidity). So, the Cavs certainly share the blame in not winning a championship. However, 7 teams won the NBA championship without LeBum during his tenure with the Cavs. Therefore, the Cavs could certainly win one without LeBum also if they make the right moves/decisions. Byron Scott is a good start, but next season's roster is a huge question.

Go Zips soccer and football. I'll be re-evaluating Men's Bball given the relationship with LeBum. (I never really cared for it much but tolerated it.)

I listened to the Indians game last night at work, and Andy Sonnanstein got in the game. Andy's from Wadsworth. I've been a Tribe fan since 1976, started watching them when the GM was kicking in money out of his pocket to make payroll sometimes. Been through the bad, the worse, the worst, and the downright ugly. And the good.

Anyway, while he was pitching, I was really hoping he would strike out the side with nine pitches. Yes the Tribe is my team, but Andy, he's from here. Maybe within 3 miles of my house. I hoped the Tribe would win, but I hoped even more than Andy would torch the Tribe hitters, for those innings he was in.

It didn't happen and he got lit up. Which made me upset. But I started thinking, I don't know anything about him. His personality might clash with mine worse than LeBron's does.

Long story short, by the time the season starts, I'll have my LeBron Heat jersey on unless they're playing the Cavs. Then I'll be in that twisted mode of hoping they both do well.

Yeah, I know. I'm not right. Never claimed to be.