Most random reference to Akron

What's the most random or obscure reference to Akron you can find? We seem to pop up in the weirdest places with seemingly no rhyme or reason behind it. it's frequent enough that we could hold a competition to see who can find the most.

Here's a completely random reference to the city at 8:22 into the clip.

What's the most random or obscure reference to Akron you can find? We seem to pop up in the weirdest places with seemingly no rhyme or reason behind it. it's frequent enough that we could hold a competition to see who can find the most.

Here's a completely random reference to the city at 8:22 into the clip.

I love rifftrax

The "AKRON" pennant hanging on the wall at Arnold's in the TV show Happy Days.

:thumb:

In the movie "Best in Show", Cookie (Catherine O'Hara) gets her husband (Eugene Levy) to drive to Florida via Akron just so she can see her old flame who is now "chief hostage negotiator for the tri-county area surrounding Akron" :rofl: OK, so there's really not a definitive "tri-county" area around here.

Link

The newlyweds the Griswalds meet in Paris in "European Vacation" are from Akron.

and

One of the sleeper agents in "Telephon" was in Akron. The original movie even gave a real Akron phone number that they called to set the guy off. I can't remember exactly what the guy was supposed to blow up, probably the Rubber Bowl, but I called the number and it was disconnected. Wonder how many crank calls the guy at that number got before he figured out what was going on and had it disconnected?

Ok, it's not a direct reference to Akron, but in the movie Tommy Boy when they are buying a plane ticket from Sandusky to Cuyahoga Falls. I always find that one hilarious.

Well if we are opening the field up to nonAkron references, in Terminator II they do mention they are headed towards Mexico at one point.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Last night on David Letterman they had a dog pool jumping contest. The first contestant was from Painesville, and Letterman asked where that was. She said by Cleveland. He then responded by saying wasn't every city in Ohio by Cleveland - or Columbus - or Cincinnati. Then he added "Or occasionally Akron". So Letterman thinks we are our own city. ;)

How about in "The Comeback" episode of Seinfeld?

"The Jerk Store called and their running out of you!"

They mention akron at about the 4 minute spot.

Also in the great 90s cartoon the Rugrats, Tommy Pickle's family moved from Akron, to their current home in California!

Rugrats.JPG

btw 90's nickelodeon was the greatest!

• 5 months later...

Some TV show I don't watch mentions Akron.

Joan Name-Drops Akron. When the new WE reality series Joan & Melissa: Joan Knows Best? airs its second episode at 9 p.m. Tuesday, Joan Rivers offers up a memory of working in Akron. Not a fond one.

Talking to daughter Melissa Rivers about regrets, Joan recalls that her late husband, Edgar Rosenberg, ”was invited to Monaco to meet Princess Grace and have lunch at the palace. And I worked instead. I stayed home and went to Akron, Ohio, and had a club date.”

I’m not sure where or exactly when that would have been. I could not find a mention in the Beacon Journal files of a Rivers appearance in Akron before 1982, when the princess, formerly the actress known as Grace Kelly, died. Rivers did perform up in Cleveland on occasion before then, and has played Akron since, including at the Tangier.

By the way, another Joan regret: ”Not having a big romance with Burt Lancaster. He really came after me when I was on The Tonight Show.”

One of the ships in the que in Cedar Point's "Disaster Transport" crashes near Akron....

Eugene Levy and his wife visit a family in Akron, Ohio on their way to the competition in the movie "Best of Show".

Working title for the Drew Carey show was "Akron Man"

Theme song from Rugrats written by Mark Mothersbaugh, may explain pickles family reference.

Movie "the Instrctor" was fimled in Akron. You-tube it for some great scenes of Downtown, South Akron/Waterloo and Portage Lakes n the early 80's....

Lesser known song by the Pretenders: Downtown Akron, voices the plight of the old Portage Hotel!

Roughnecks: Mentions the demise of the Akron Pro's