Most random reference to Akron

dunno if this one was mentioned yet, but I was just flipping through some cable channels and Nat.Lampoons European Vacation was on. The family was sitting at breakfast and behind them is a couple making out:

Rusty: He's got his hands on her tits right at the table.

Ellen Griswold (mother): Stop staring.

Clark Griswold (father): European standards of public behavior are different than ours.

Rusty: But they're from Akron.

• 2 weeks later...
dunno if this one was mentioned yet, but I was just flipping through some cable channels and Nat.Lampoons European Vacation was on. The family was sitting at breakfast and behind them is a couple making out:

Rusty: He's got his hands on her tits right at the table.

Ellen Griswold (mother): Stop staring.

Clark Griswold (father): European standards of public behavior are different than ours.

Rusty: But they're from Akron.

Looks like the guy with the 6th post in this thread beat you to that one.

• 3 weeks later...

FRIDAY EVENING NFL OWNERS CONFERENCE CALL: ROGER GOODELL LABOR UPDATE

Kraft: You have to be kidding… Roger, it’s 18 games or a lockout.

Dan Rooney: Agreed. Don’t listen to these lunatics.

Davis: Rooney, show some respect, your father and I once bedded a trailer full of circus freaks in Akron after a two-day coke binge. Your father had some moxie, unlike you, young fellah. You should have seen him, took the bearded lady for the team.

Rooney: Oh, God…

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Akron-brand motor oil.

Nice logo. That "A" would look pretty sweet on the side of a football helmet.

I was wearing my Atlas football/soccer jersey at the CSU-Northridge game, and Uncle "Tank" from the soccer thread mentioned that he had seen it in the FIFA (12?) video game. "Lubricantes de Akron" is the shirt sponsor of the Guadalajara-based club in Mexico's Primera Division. Found it on e-bay last winter for $20. Pretty cool. :wave:

edit: Here's what the long-sleeve version looks like. Mine doesn't have the Coca-Cola or Corona on the back, but it does have the Skyy vodka on the sleeve.

Here's something very strange: They seem to know things about us in Turkey that we didn't even know. Olympic gymnast Dominique Moceanu is an Akron alum?

I had heard she attended UA (I think the Wiki UA article mentions it also), but wasn't aware that she graduated. This link confirms that she did attend.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
From the video game LA Noire:

LANoire.png

You'll run across a bus ticket from LA to Akron sitting on a suspect's dresser. I did a double-take when I saw it.

lol didn't see that you posted this last year. I just finally got around to playing LA Noire and came across this last night. Great stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

In Stephen King's Dark Tower series, a post-WWII Akron is inserted somewhat randomly as the place where a minor character gets mugged and then kills the mugger with his brain. Standard Stephen King stuff, but it seemed weird to see Akron mentioned since King usually only names small towns from new England or major cities like New York.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...