Most random reference to Akron

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
What's the most random or obscure reference to Akron you can find? We seem to pop up in the weirdest places with seemingly no rhyme or reason behind it.

Sometimes the accent throws me, but I'm almost positive that Bowie says "It's hard to write in Akron" at 2:22

This is far from random, but again, LBJ gave us a shout out to an international audience after winning the championship.

"I'm LeBron James, from Akron, Ohio…"

Though I couldn't find a youtube clip, 'Bron then reiterated the sentiment in his post-game interview with Magic Johnson, Jalen Rose & Bill Simmons.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
This is far from random, but again, LBJ gave us a shout out to an international audience after winning the championship.

"I'm LeBron James, from Akron, Ohio…"

Though I couldn't find a youtube clip, 'Bron then reiterated the sentiment in his post-game interview with Magic Johnson, Jalen Rose & Bill Simmons.

Bron also talked about Akron in his opening monologue when he hosted Saturday Night Live.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

http://newsok.com/columbus-travelblog-wrong-museum-in-canton/article/5404101

Some Oklahoma basketball fans were traveling through the area the other day. Mostly focuses on Canton, but they stopped in Akron to check out Infocision Stadium.

After we left Canton, we drove through Akron, and the University of Akron's new football stadium (constructed in 2009) sits hard by the interstate. The Zips play at OU in September, and their football stadium is very nice. Looks much more traditional (which means better) than, say, North Texas' new stadium at the I-35 fork in Denton. Akron is coached by Terry Bowden, so there's that angle. Akron played in the historic Rubber Bowl -- Firestone Tires, remember, is headquartered in Akron -- but it was miles from campus and in need of constant renovation. So the school built a new stadium.

I've never heard that Akron had a big rival, but Can't State is only 10 miles away. I never realized Can't was so close to the Cleveland/Akron area. I looked it up, and yep, Can't State is the big rival for Akron. I guess I could have asked Darnell Mayberry; he once covered the Zips for the Akron Beacon Journal.

Traffic wasn't bad through the Canton/Akron area, despite it being 4-5 p.m. I would have guessed we'd have hit some bad traffic. Akron is a big place. The fifth-largest city in Ohio, trailing the big C's (Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati) and Toledo. (Dayton ranks sixth, Canton eighth, Youngstown ninth). The Akron Metropolitan Statistical Area, which I assume includes Canton, had a 2010 population of 703,000. And of course, Akron and Canton are included in Cleveland's metro population, which counts 3.5 million residents and ranks 18th in America.

Sometimes perspective on cities like Akron and Canton is lost for people from Ohio, because of geography and Ohio having plenty of large cities. In a state like Oklahoma (and many other states out west not named Texas or California), Akron would be considered a major metropolitan center. Also, he was mistaken about the Metropolitan Statistical Area including Canton. Canton is in its own Area, with another 400k residents.

Anyway, it's a good read. It's fun to see an outsider's perspective.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...