Most random reference to Akron

56 minutes ago, MDZip said:

I can't find a clip but Sportscenter showed a moment during an Ohio State game where Dan Dakich was an announcer and he talked about how much he hated mascots and specifically called out Zippy for annoying him once during an Akron-BGSU game. Go Zippy! :-)

Only once? Come on, gotta step it up, Zippy!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

A recent Episode of Adam Ruins Everything from TruTV constantly references the City of Akron.

-The "main character" of the episode says he's from Akron Ohio

-They talk about how flights out of Akron always have connecting flights

-Mention how Akron is the Blimp capital

It was random when I watched the episode but enjoyed that it mentioned Akron all the same.

• 8 months later...

I was watching "The Boys" on Prime Video last week and noticed a reference to Akron.

"Well (SIGHS) I mean, what about my crime itinerary? I think the best thing's just to, you know, get out there and put some points on the board." - The Deep

"Not much crime in Sandusky. I mean, we're not a shithole like Akron." - Jeff

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

One of my favorite trivia questions.

What city hosted the first champions of (what would be renamed) the NFL and NBA?

AkronPros.jpg

Edited by Spin
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Since we're stuck at home and watching a lot of stuff streaming; I found this guy on youtube who talks about different unique histories of plane engineering. Its a fun little educational diversion.  This episode has a little segment about the USS Akron and the Akron-Class flying aircraft carriers that were made by the US Navy.  Fun little Random reference :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Tonight I'm watching the old TV show "Coach" on "Antenna TV" network, and coach Hayden tries to get rid of a pain in the butt assistant by referring him to an opening at, you guessed it. University of Akron.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't know if I'm just attuned to these or not but I found another one. In an old episode of King of Queens, the character played by the recently deceased Jerry Stiller found a copy of the Akron Beacon Journal at a newsstand. Of course in the same episode they mentioned the genius of Kevin Spacey so maybe that one's not going to age all that well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

American Rust, new show on ShowTime. The story focuses on Buell, Pennsylvania, a dying steel town. Jobs are disappearing, methadone use is increasing, and home foreclosures are rising. One of the characters continues to live in this town instead of taking a "Div I" scholarship. It is referenced multiple times in the first three episodes..."not sure why you just don't take that Div I scholarship Billy" It's mentioned so much, I started repeating it to my wife as we were watching it. Finally, one of the characters says "yeah Billy, you should have just went to Akron"

BTW, If you liked Mare of Easttown (dumb name for a show), you will probably like American Rust. Similar storyline, cinematography, backing music, etc. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I watch this one particular show over and over again because as a coach, I just like the structure of how everyone has a role and if you try doing someone else's role, it normally doesn't end very well 😂

Akron is mentioned a few times, especially in the last season of the series. Here is one scene that mentions Akron from Season 7 Episode 3 called "Message of the Week" in the series, West Wing. 

Akron reference in S7 E3 of the West Wing

Edited by mes102
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Found a new one while watching "Behind the Attraction" on Disney+. 29 minutes in to episode 9, they reveal that the first visitors to Walt Disney World on the monorail were from Akron Ohio, which the Disney company found perfect as they thought it to be right in the middle of things. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was looking for something else and came across this shot. Reminded me of this thread. IIRC that's Pinky Tuscadero, a female musician the Fonz was chasing.

How I remember that and I can't remember where my dang keys are...

HappyDays.jpg.07a931d5283dbfd459aaa6e1e48708f5.jpg

On 7/13/2010 at 9:11 PM, Spin said:

The "AKRON" pennant hanging on the wall at Arnold's in the TV show Happy Days.

• Like 2