Most random reference to Akron

Back in 2016 (I believe...maybe it was '17) I was watching the NHL finals. At a game in Pittsburgh the camera was following a Penguins player up the ice and you could plainly see an older guy with a short, white beard wearing an "A" Roo baseball cap. I rewound and paused it, and took a picture of the screen shot, but I can't find that picture for the life of me! 🤬

Who would wear a Zips hat to the NHL finals (aside from most people on this board)? And, it was someone that could pay for 1st row seats? Guthrie needs to find that guy and have him build us a basketball arena.

• Like 4

On 1/18/2023 at 8:32 AM, Captain Kangaroo said:

Back in 2016 (I believe...maybe it was '17) I was watching the NHL finals. At a game in Pittsburgh the camera was following a Penguins player up the ice and you could plainly see an older guy with a short, white beard wearing an "A" Roo baseball cap. I rewound and paused it, and took a picture of the screen shot, but I can't find that picture for the life of me! 🤬

Who would wear a Zips hat to the NHL finals (aside from most people on this board)? And, it was someone that could pay for 1st row seats? Guthrie needs to find that guy and have him build us a basketball arena.

Could have been my brother.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I was in Amberg Germany last week for work. When I checked in to the hotel, I provided my ID to the desk attendant and she said "Oh, you are from Ohio? I went to college there for two semesters." Of course when I asked "Where?", she said "The University of Akron." 

I told her "Go Zips!" every morning when I left for the office. 😄

• Like 2

On 5/7/2023 at 10:55 AM, Blue & Gold said:

Not really a reference to our city but I didn't know where else to post this.  Highlights the etymological root of our city's name.  Pretty cool. (Guthrie is on vacation in Greece.)

Look for a new font on our uniforms real soon 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Nothing about UA in the video but from the comments:

Pilletta Doinswartsh

10 days ago (edited)

I graduated in 1986 in Electrical Engineering. Our class started with about 180 sutdents. Only 30 graduated. I nearly didn't make it, myself. The junior year was rrrrrough. I had four extremely demanding courses at once. It got so that I couldn't keep up with all the homework (8-10 hours a day, even on weekends), so I had to pick one class to just audit, because I couldn't survive all four. The professor for that class (Digital Circuits) saw me not turning in homework, and failing the tests, and he took me into his office, gave me back my test (F!) and told me "you will never be an engineer." But I proved him wrong. Even got on the dean's list my senior year. Anyway, learn how to study, how to take notes, AND visit all of your professors once a week. Get to know them. Make them get to know you. You're paying their salaries. USE THEM.

7 replies

mkdir

8 days ago

It used to be a lot harder pre-Internet as well. Digital is so important, and yet its taught so poorly I find. I'm 3rd year now and see the importance of it, but when I was first introduced to Digital, it seemed so stupid and was taught so badly.

kc cheung

6 days ago (edited)

May I know which university ? Start with 180, and only 30 survived. Too tough, wasn't it ?

Pilletta Doinswartsh

6 days ago

@kc cheung  University of Akron in Ohio. I was told by a professor that it would be hard. He told us to look around the room. Then said only about 1 in 6 of you will graduate. He said it's because Electrical Engineering is a controlled profession. They make the major hard enough to weed out 5/6 of the class.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

Nothing about UA in the video but from the comments:

Pilletta Doinswartsh

10 days ago (edited)

I graduated in 1986 in Electrical Engineering. Our class started with about 180 sutdents. Only 30 graduated. I nearly didn't make it, myself. The junior year was rrrrrough. I had four extremely demanding courses at once. It got so that I couldn't keep up with all the homework (8-10 hours a day, even on weekends), so I had to pick one class to just audit, because I couldn't survive all four. The professor for that class (Digital Circuits) saw me not turning in homework, and failing the tests, and he took me into his office, gave me back my test (F!) and told me "you will never be an engineer." But I proved him wrong. Even got on the dean's list my senior year. Anyway, learn how to study, how to take notes, AND visit all of your professors once a week. Get to know them. Make them get to know you. You're paying their salaries. USE THEM.

7 replies

mkdir

8 days ago

It used to be a lot harder pre-Internet as well. Digital is so important, and yet its taught so poorly I find. I'm 3rd year now and see the importance of it, but when I was first introduced to Digital, it seemed so stupid and was taught so badly.

kc cheung

6 days ago (edited)

May I know which university ? Start with 180, and only 30 survived. Too tough, wasn't it ?

Pilletta Doinswartsh

6 days ago

@kc cheung  University of Akron in Ohio. I was told by a professor that it would be hard. He told us to look around the room. Then said only about 1 in 6 of you will graduate. He said it's because Electrical Engineering is a controlled profession. They make the major hard enough to weed out 5/6 of the class.

Nice! That's how a real university producing graduates with real degrees operates. Those who can't cut it can go to KSUcks & get a degree in gender studies & end up delivering pizza's & telling everyone how oppressed they are 🙄😂

I can't get a link to it but on good morning football on the NFL Network they were discussing universities that are also colors. One guy brought up Navy and said that he had been going through all the other conferences to see what else he could find and said is Akron a color? 🤣

• Like 2

On 6/12/2023 at 7:02 PM, MDZip said:

I can't get a link to it but on good morning football on the NFL Network they were discussing universities that are also colors. One guy brought up Navy and said that he had been going through all the other conferences to see what else he could find and said is Akron a color? 🤣

And then there are the Universities whose mascot is a color (lame!) like our neighbors to the east... : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_college_sports_team_nicknames_in_North_America#Colors

• 9 months later...

TNT NCAA tournament halftime show had a trivia question "Battle of the Dukes - Duke, Duquesne and JMU". First question - what school won it's first schools National Championship in soccer? Duke - in soccer in 1986 beating Akron 1-0. 

Edited by MDZip