Mike Waddell Named Interim AD

Captain Kangaroo

I doubt they would give an interim postion to someone who is not qualified for the full time job. If the AD is not teaching classes why would he need a master's degree. I would think you would really limit your prospective applicants with that type of criteria. I would look for the person who could best do the job.

I don't know if Mike has a Masters or not, but it will make a difference in the interview process. Colleges like to have people in those positions with advanced degrees.

As far as the size of his ass, I have not checked that out and I do not plan on doing so in the future. Not that there is anything wrong with checking out the size of his ass, I will just not do so.

In all seriousness though, Mike has EARNED the position. He has worked side-by-side with the best AD the University has ever had and at this point, I do not see the need to bring an outsider in. It may not seem like it, but this is a critical time in U of A athletics. To hire an unproven could be a disaster. We KNOW what Mike can do, and he does a good job. We have no idea what another person will do.

Everyone has great comments and thoughts on this topic, but the fact is you MUST have a MA to be considered. he is given the interoom position because he is the only one who wanted it. Besides mike thomas was an amazing AD and there is no-one in house that could fill his shoes, there for u of A must do a nation al search to find the

BEST candidate.

Everyone has great comments and thoughts on this topic, but the fact is you MUST have a MA to be considered.

Can anyone provide some kind of proof to this statement?

I'm not saying your wrong or right KOTH, I would just like to see some kind of "AD website dictionary"

that says that this statement is true or untrue.

Seems a little strange to me. :rolleyes:

The University is better for having MW here.

I would like to see him get a fair shot.

If anyone has access to college academic/athletic journals, this position will be public notice so we will be able to see the requirement. I don't know how to get in touch with them, but the recruiters should have the requirements for the position and since it is a public position, they would be required to provide that information to you. My guess is that it will say something like "Masters Degree preferred" or something along those lines.

They could give MW the job on the basis that he gets a Masters. He could get into one of those Mickey Mouse MBA programs like Walsh and Malone Colleges offer where you pay your money, show up one night per week to listen to a local business person speak and at the end of 12 months you basically pay your way to an MBA. It would not take much time from working for the University. Some of the worst business people with MBAs running around NE Ohio have earned Masters in this low manner. They are just money makers for those schools. I, on the other hand, have a Masters Degree from the Harvard of NE Ohio........ The University of Akron.

Ok, so I did a little research on the masters degree. I went to NCAA.org and checked their employment section, thinking maybe Akron has an add up for the new AD.

They did not, but six schools did. This is what two said under requirements:

"MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS A Master's degree"

"A Bachelor’s degree is required and advanced degree is preferred."

Have we determined that Mike does NOT have a masters or is this an assumption?

I think MIke would do a great job picking up where MT has left off, but I still believe in a National Search to ensure he is the BEST candidate.

IMO, all that crap about having a Masters Mandatory is useless. I know people who have a Masters degree that shouldn't even have a Bachelors. OTOH, I know other people who don't even have a Bachelors degree (but have experience) and are better at their job than people with a Masters. IMO, the degrees simply tell an employer that these people have the intelligence to grasp the necessary concepts and have some background in the subject.

I'm in the camp that says, if he doesn't have a Masters, give him the position and let him work towards one.

i say he is the best fit person for the job with all of the mo that has been created and all that is gonig on at UA. He can carry on what MT left and even escalate it since he can assess the strengths and weeknesses that MT was not able to see within the day to day business operations. Let him work toward his masters degree and put that in his contract he must have it completed within three years. If he tries to leave beforehand, make him payback the funds owed that payed for the education. I think this allows him to complete the degree in ample time and still get the job. Why lose a top candidate that already knows the diretion we want to go to a piece of printed paper?

WAR Waddell!

i say he is the best fit person for the job with all of the mo that has been created and all that is gonig on at UA. He can carry on what MT left and even escalate it since he can assess the strengths and weeknesses that MT was not able to see within the day to day business operations. Let him work toward his masters degree and put that in his contract he must have it completed within three years. If he tries to leave beforehand, make him payback the funds owed that payed for the education. I think this allows him to complete the degree in ample time and still get the job. Why lose a top candidate that already knows the diretion we want to go to a piece of printed paper?

WAR Waddell!

A young family...going to school for a Master's degree...and being AD of a Division 1 school is one hell of a workload. It is challenging enough having a family and being AD. I would hope the Masters Degree thing is overlooked and the work experience is valued.

• 13 years later...