"Extras" for the Opener

johnnyzip84

First let me say that BY FAR, the most important thing is for the Zips to play well tomorrow. With that being a given, what other things would ZNO like to see in the way of "extras" as in music, band performance, PA announcer, etc.

Just to get the ball rolling, here is a song by Akron's own Black Keys that I think has "sports anthem" written all over it. I think it might be in the NHL 2011 video game.

First let me say that BY FAR, the most important thing is for the Zips to play well tomorrow. With that being a given, what other things would ZNO like to see in the way of "extras" as in music, band performance, PA announcer, etc.

Just to get the ball rolling, here is a song by Akron's own Black Keys that I think has "sports anthem" written all over it. I think it might be in the NHL 2011 video game.

I would like to see the majority of the fans act like they care and are at a football game!

Last year was ridiculous, so many games where fans were staring blankly into nothing as the game went on. There were plenty of 3rd down and shorts where my friends and I stood up and stomped on the metal bleachers to cheer on the Zips defense and people stared at us like we were idiots. You would of thought we were doing it as someone was teeing off at a PGA event!

Oh and to hear...something new. We should stay away from the "Zombie Nation", "Let's Get it Started" type songs and seek out something original to play. The Black Keys would be great...their songs are in quite a few Sports Video Games.

On NCAA 10 I had the beginning of "Seperate Ways" by Journey everytime the Zips would kick off at the Rubber Bowl...cheesy I know but that keyboard part and the guitar riff are sweet...and great for a kickoff suspense builder. Yep I am showng my age...half of the probably do not know who Journey is unless they stumbled on them via The Sopranos.

On NCAA 10 I had the beginning of "Seperate Ways" by Journey everytime the Zips would kick off at the Rubber Bowl...cheesy I know but that keyboard part and the guitar riff are sweet...and great for a kickoff suspense builder. Yep I am showng my age...half of the probably do not know who Journey is unless they stumbled on them via The Sopranos.

I have Pearl Jam - Even Flow as my kick off music. The start of that is absolutely awesome.

It sounds a sports anthem because the beat is taken almost exactly from this song, which I'm certain you've heard at every sporting event you've ever been to:

I would like to see the majority of the fans act like they care and are at a football game!

Last year was ridiculous, so many games where fans were staring blankly into nothing as the game went on. There were plenty of 3rd down and shorts where my friends and I stood up and stomped on the metal bleachers to cheer on the Zips defense and people stared at us like we were idiots. You would of thought we were doing it as someone was teeing off at a PGA event!

Oh and to hear...something new. We should stay away from the "Zombie Nation", "Let's Get it Started" type songs and seek out something original to play. The Black Keys would be great...their songs are in quite a few Sports Video Games.

I've been talking about this in another thread, but it bears mentioning again. A significant number of people were at our games last year to be a part of the inauguration of the new stadium. We know that. Hopefully, we converted some of them to Zips Fans. So the question is, did plenty of them become fans that will return this season? Will some non-fans (probably the quiet folks you reference) still show up again this year to enjoy the new stadium experience? Or, will this latter group stop coming altogether? I think we'll have some answers over the next couple of weeks.

It sounds a sports anthem because the beat is taken almost exactly from this song, which I'm certain you've heard at every sporting event you've ever been to:

I've seen the obvious comparison elsewhere, and no doubt there is a striking similarity (perhaps even a rip-off), but the Black Keys song is just enough different to make it work in Akron.

I've been talking about this in another thread, but it bears mentioning again. A significant number of people were at our games last year to be a part of the inauguration of the new stadium. We know that. Hopefully, we converted some of them to Zips Fans. So the question is, did plenty of them become fans that will return this season? Will some non-fans (probably the quiet folks you reference) still show up again this year to enjoy the new stadium experience? Or, will this latter group stop coming altogether? I think we'll have some answers over the next couple of weeks.

Butts in the seats are Butts in the seats which in turn produces profit(maybe) and meets our attendance requirements but geez, dont stare at people like they are aliens becuase they are yelling and stomping trying to get the place rockin! I can understand them being annoyed if people are F-bombing and what not but...bottom line, everyone cried for a new stadium for years, we got the stadium citizens of Akron, now lets make it our own and make it hell for the opponents to come to Akron....let loose and have some fun!

I watched Pitt @ Utah last night and that place was a zoo! I think Pitt had 5 false starts because of the crowd. Granted Utah has won consistently for years so I can see the crowds being waaaaay better but we need to begin to do better...get off your cell phones and please get into the game.

Loud booming firework in the sky ever hour on the hour with blue and gold smoke starting at noon to "wake up" Joe Akron on game days. Night games should have a Zips logo being shown like the bat signal in the sky. In a certain city nearby they like to say "It's a hockey night in...." We should adopt something like that. It's a football day/night in Akron. Advertised throughout the city on the sides of buildings the day of the game. Downtown buildings leaving the lights on certain offices that spell out ZIPS. Try to get people excited. Once again, this all helps when we have a quality product.

Night games should have a Zips logo being shown like the bat signal in the sky.

One of the dorkiest and yet coolest ideas I have ever seen.

Send that to TW!!!

It just so happens that we are in possession of a "bat-signal" device. It has already been used in the most awesome way possible. (that's a certain landmark water tower that the image is being projected on to)

gallery_483_38_4590.jpg