Deji Ibitayo

I still have big concerns with our depth at PG. Unless there are any more changes, Abreau will be the only PG on the roster. Really hope Abreau is the real deal because he is going to have to play a lot.

I'm still waiting for some information that indicates that there is any chance that our coach would replace his current starting PG, who he obviously trusts to run his offense, is a senior, clearly our floor leader, and has come up big for us in several critical, pressure situations over the last couple of seasons.

And we'll replace him and turn the reigns of the team over to a guy who's yet to even wear a Zips uniform?

I'm thinking the chances of that happening are pretty remote.

I'm not talking about this year. I'm looking ahead to 2011 since this is a thread on a 2011 commit.

Got it. I'm still surprised at the number of comments we get here about Steve being replace at the point this year.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm among those leading the charge to see more McNees at SG this year, and I have my reasons why, but that is really a discussion for another place and time.

KD will play the best player at the position period. Steve might like being moved to SG. I would like to see them rotate bringing the ball up because each PG has their own tempo and tendencies.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm among those leading the charge to see more McNees at SG this year, and I have my reasons why, but that is really a discussion for another place and time.

I'd like to see McNees at SG , since it would mean Abreu is a great PG. We would field a better team.

If McNees needs to play the point because Abreu can't, Abreu sits on the bench. And we are weaker at SG.

I'd like to see McNees at SG , since it would mean Abreu is a great PG. We would field a better team.

If McNees needs to play the point because Abreu can't, Abreu sits on the bench. And we are weaker at SG.

Cap'n, that pretty much sums up the situation.

I've been trying to keep this topic out of the Deji thread, but it seems like we have now officially been hi-jacked, so I'll weigh in.

Reasons I want to see Abreu at PG and McNees at SG:

-McNees' biggest asset is his long distance shooting. Though he is capable of running the point, his strength has never been playing the role of distributor. Playing him off the ball where he can potentially get some better looks at the basket will theoretically make him a more efficient weapon for us. Further, Abreu's assist numbers in high school and for the Peurto Rican U-17 team indicate that he can be the kind of distributor that would make Steve, and everyone else on the team more effective.

-Though he has gotten better over the years, Steve is far from what you would call a great defender. He struggles in particular against the quicker PG's that are becoming more the norm in the MAC. The film I've seen on Abreu shows the makings of a pretty good defensive PG who can stay with quicker guys and who has a knack for getting into passing lanes and forcing turnovers.

-With Abreu being the only thing close to a PG we have on the roster for 2011-12, you almost have to get him some significant minutes this season to get him prepared for next year when he will seemingly be called on to play a lot of minutes.

I can't understand being worried about a Chicago-area recruit, a 6' 3" guard who can jump out of the gym, who led his team in scoring, rebounds and assists as a Junior.

Zips basketball fans worry about too much. You should be celebrating and popping champagne corks, and instead you're consumed with fear of shooting someone in the eye. B)

More good points coming out about Ibitayo:

* Reputation for playing good defense

* Wingspan of 6-9

* Started playing basketball at the age of 2

* Honor roll student

* Can play both SG and PG (imagine the matchup nightmare for opposing teams if Ibitayo could run the point at the college level!)

Additional information is available on Ibitayo by searching with his full first name, Adedeji, such as the following:

Prep Champs Link

We've covered the PG issue across many threads as the Zips continue to get deeper in future frontcourt and wing players, and the discussion may be appropriate here as Ibitayo lists himself as being able to play both PG and SG. But maybe it's time for someone to start a generic PG thread to capture all thoughts on that issue in one place so we don't have to keep revisiting them in every non-PG thread.

More good points coming out about Ibitayo:

* Reputation for playing good defense

* Wingspan of 6-9

* Started playing basketball at the age of 2

* Honor roll student

* Can play both SG and PG (imagine the matchup nightmare for opposing teams if Ibitayo could run the point at the college level!)

Additional information is available on Ibitayo by searching with his full first name, Adedeji, such as the following:

Prep Champs Link

We've covered the PG issue across many threads as the Zips continue to get deeper in future frontcourt and wing players, and the discussion may be appropriate here as Ibitayo lists himself as being able to play both PG and SG. But maybe it's time for someone to start a generic PG thread to capture all thoughts on that issue in one place so we don't have to keep revisiting them in every non-PG thread.

First I have seen or heard of him discussed as a PG. A lot of the publications I've seen have him as just an average ball-handler at best. May just be a case of a kid who has always been so athletic that he was able to get by purely on out-running and out-jumping his opponents and is just now learning the finer points of the game. I don't know.

The Prep Champs link is a profile that he created himself. He may feel that he can play the PG, and he probably can get away with it on his high school team, but I don't see that happening on the college level. From the scouts reviews, he appears to more a SF at the moment that needs to develop his handles/shooting to play the SG.

If Ibitayo thinks he can play some PG, I wouldn't automatically write him off. Everyone was writing him off on everything not that long ago, and all of a sudden he has made a big leap in skills to match his athleticism. He went from being on no one's radar to getting interest from a soon-to-be Big Ten team (Nebraska). If he can improve his ball handling skills to the level of a college combo guard, he could at least be a backup PG. No one really knows how much more improvement he might realize.

Here's one more evaluation from the Chicago Sun Times:

As the Hoops Report expected, Ibitayo's athleticism, body and, most importantly, improved play and production opened the eyes of college coaches in Milwaukee, Orlando and Merrillville while playing with the Illinois Defenders. He scored 25 points in a near-upset over Meanstreets in Merrillville. The 6-3 über-athlete often finishes in eye-opening fashion and is capable of defending three different positions. While his skill level is a work in progress, his handle is much better and he showed a willingness to compete and get after it against top-level competition. Northern Illinois, Eastern Illinois and Division II Lewis were the first to offer, with Nebraska, North Dakota and Akron showing considerable interest. Ibitayo was invited to the Indiana Elite Camp in August and several low-Division I and mid-major schools have sudden interest after a stellar July.

Chicago Sun Times Link

i don't understand everyone forgets roberts can play both spots.steve can play the pg,and roberts at the sg.

he can play pg if needed.the ideal thing would be to have a true pg.i am not worried about it.i think you migh see

zeke passing the ball upcourt also.it gives us a big advantage to have a 7-1 that can pass the ball upcourt.

it's a hard to press a 7-1 guy.

i don't understand everyone forgets roberts can play both spots.steve can play the pg,and roberts at the sg. .....

The main discussion here about the Zips need for PGs is not so much for the upcoming season, but for the 2011-12 season and beyond, at which time both Roberts and McNees will both be long gone from the team.

i don't understand everyone forgets roberts can play both spots.steve can play the pg,and roberts at the sg. .....

The main discussion here about the Zips need for PGs is not so much for the upcoming season, but for the 2011-12 season and beyond, at which time both Roberts and McNees will both be long gone from the team.

I'm not as concerned about our PG depth this year as I am our overall guard depth. We only have four guards listed on scholarship right now. One is an unknown commodity (Abreu), one I consider to be a complete bust (McClanahan) and only two have proven to be consistent producers (McNees and Roberts). Steve and Daryl can't be expected to play all 40 minutes the entire season. Abreu is going to have to step in right away and play some significant minutes, or we will need McClanahan to have a Jimmy Conyers type season. Quincy Diggs has also been listed by some as a guard, but is listed on the official roster as a forward. He is an unknown commodity as well, but if necessasry hopefully he could take up some slack at SG.

Next year is a whole different story. My concerns about our PG depth next year have been well documented, but at the same time it is still a long way away.

I'm not as concerned about our PG depth this year as I am our overall guard depth. We only have four guards listed on scholarship right now. One is an unknown commodity (Abreu), one I consider to be a complete bust (McClanahan) and only two have proven to be consistent producers (McNees and Roberts). Steve and Daryl can't be expected to play all 40 minutes the entire season. Abreu is going to have to step in right away and play some significant minutes, or we will need McClanahan to have a Jimmy Conyers type season. Quincy Diggs has also been listed by some as a guard, but is listed on the official roster as a forward. He is an unknown commodity as well, but if necessasry hopefully he could take up some slack at SG.

Next year is a whole different story. My concerns about our PG depth next year have been well documented, but at the same time it is still a long way away.

This is pretty much what I am seeing with our overall guard situation.

I'm certainly not trying to make the point that Steve might be a better SG than a PG. That might be the case. But, I still expect that our coach will see that Steve running his offense, and being our floor leader, will be the best option we have this year.

This is pretty much what I am seeing with our overall guard situation.

I'm certainly not trying to make the point that Steve might be a better SG than a PG. That might be the case. But, I still expect that our coach will see that Steve running his offense, and being our floor leader, will be the best option we have this year.

I don't doubt that Steve is going to get his minutes at PG, but Alex needs to see some minutes at PG too. You probably aren't going to be able to play Alex at SG the way you can with Steve, so his minutes will likely have to come at PG. The lack of depth at the guard spots alone means that Alex needs to see significant minutes if for no other reason than to get Steve and Daryl a breather. On top of that, it would be of a significant benefit to us to have some idea of what Alex is capable of going into the 2011-12 season when he will presumably be the only PG on the roster. Getting Alex some minutes at PG this season is the best way for us to accomplish that.

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure yet how I feel about this pickup. The video is kind of grainy and doesn't always give you good angles of his play. He certainly seems to know how to finish around the rim, but his form on his jump shot doesn't look very strong to me. Seems to hold the ball kind of low and has a long release. He'll struggle to get that shot off at the next level, and it seems KD likes to put a lot of emphasis on guards who can fire away from long distance.

As far as where this scholarship comes from I have no idea, but then again, we went through this last year as well with the late addition of Euton. The staff has to either be expecting someone to transfer out, or that one of the two greyshirts (Harney and Treadwell) won't be able to make the grades.

I've played against Deji for the past several years. He's long and plays good defense, but he has NO jump shot past 5 feet out nor can he hit a free throw and doesn't handle the ball well. You'll just have to wait to see what I mean. Nice guy though. And he plays hard. Not sure why your coach would have picked up a shooting guard that cannot really shoot very well?

Not sure yet how I feel about this pickup. The video is kind of grainy and doesn't always give you good angles of his play. He certainly seems to know how to finish around the rim, but his form on his jump shot doesn't look very strong to me. Seems to hold the ball kind of low and has a long release. He'll struggle to get that shot off at the next level, and it seems KD likes to put a lot of emphasis on guards who can fire away from long distance.

As far as where this scholarship comes from I have no idea, but then again, we went through this last year as well with the late addition of Euton. The staff has to either be expecting someone to transfer out, or that one of the two greyshirts (Harney and Treadwell) won't be able to make the grades.

I've played against Deji for the past several years. He's long and plays good defense, but he has NO jump shot past 5 feet out nor can he hit a free throw and doesn't handle the ball well. You'll just have to wait to see what I mean. Nice guy though. And he plays hard. Not sure why your coach would have picked up a shooting guard that cannot really shoot very well?

Probably because we've went through the last few years with undersized, not very athletic SG's who could shoot very well but couldn't break anyone down off the dribble and weren't always the greatest defenders. It's worked out alright for us, but we have a tendency to struggle when matched up with SG's who have better size and athleticism. We needed a change of pace and Deji would seem to fit the bill. Plus, we have another SG in Blake Justice coming in next year who is characterized as one of the best pure shooters in the state of Ohio. We may just be hoping for the two of them to balance each other out.

Our recent guards have not been able to defend quality opposing guards. Guys were going off for 30+ against us at the end of last season almost every night. I'm happy as a clam to get a rangy, "lock-down" defensive presence.

Since he's only a HS senior this year, and he seems to have determination and athleticism, I assume his shooting will improve (his shooting form doesn't look Shaq-esque in the video, BTW). A few hundred 15 footers per week in the gym for the next 12 months and he'll be good to go next fall.

Thanks for confirming what the basketball bloggers have been writing. He's athletic, plays above the rim and finishes strong in the paint, but needs work on his outside shooting and free throws. Zips fans are familiar with this type of player. We've watched many of them do bad things to the Zips. It's nice to have one on our side for once, weaknesses and all.

• 2 weeks later...