'Nova to Play Big East Football?

johnnyzip84

Temple becomes completely irrelevant if Nova moves up. The MAC loses the main benefit to keeping them around in having an exclusive Philly market.

It also strengthens the Big east, making it less likely to split in the future while insulating them against a conference re-alignment poaching some teams. Nova would want to do it so that in the event of a split they will be able to keep their basketball with the FBS portion of the Big East and not get stuck with the non--football schools in a smaller version of the A-10.

It's far from a done deal, but it looks like the Big East wants Villanova to compete in football. If this happened, I have to believe Temple would not be too happy about it.

Link

If that is ture, it tells me one of three things:

1. The Big East DON'T want Temple back

2. They are completely stupid by taking an "directional" school

3. They have no desire to go after an team from another conference and would be easier to go with an FCS school.

This makes no sense....

Villanova had what? one good year?

they have a stadium that seats about 12,000?

they have terrible facilities?

of course we don't deserve to move up, but we sure as hell deserve it more than them...

unless they only want them because they are from Philly? so we have Cleveland/Akron.

Stupid move by the Big East, and Nova will have fun getting stomped every game. What's next freaking Youngstown State to the Big East too? Wow thats hard to say without falling out of my chair laughing.

This makes no sense....

of course we don't deserve to move up, but we sure as hell deserve it more than them...

unless they only want them because they are from Philly? so we have Cleveland/Akron.

Stupid move by the Big East, and Nova will have fun getting stomped every game. What's next freaking Youngstown State to the Big East too? Wow thats hard to say without falling out of my chair laughing.

Nova is the reigning FCS champion. They're consistently in the top 5. They need a stadium, but they have the option to play at Franklin Field (seats 60,000) until they can put up their own stadium.

Also, they are already a member of the Big East in all other sports. The Big East has to give them the option to move up before looking outside the conference. Just like what happened with UConn (they didn't deserve to move up as a mediocre football program; Nova is light-years ahead of where UConn was) You make it sound like they aren't affiliated with the Big East at all.

This makes no sense....

Take your chill pill Zipper! :D I agree that such a move by the Big East would be a gamble -- but to even bring the "Akron-to-the-BE" :horse: up in the conversation is more absurd. The reality is that Villanova's consistent top-10 team -- with a national championship -- in the second biggest NCAA sport, makes them more valuable than Temple as an overall property. This is the same logic that went into the UConn decision to move up in football less than a decade ago. But that is a large public school -- does Nova have the reasources to equal UConn's potential in FB? I think that decision is the only thing that prevents Villanova from immediately jumping at the idea. For the Big East , this is one strategy to prevent the league from imploding into football and basketball leagues. Or it could be an admission that they will never get Notre Dame to join for football and Nova is the way second-place choice. :(

If that is ture, it tells me one of three things:

1. The Big East DON'T want Temple back

2. They are completely stupid by taking an "directional" school

3. They have no desire to go after an team from another conference and would be easier to go with an FCS school.

Or....

1. Temple doesn't want the BE back. They ACC could be a good fit for Temple. The ACC goes as far north as Boston so Philadelphia is not out of the question. Maryland is very close. Temple can hold their ground in the mac for a few more years to see how things pan out.

2. You take what you can get. It goes back to one of my favorite college sayings. Go ugly early and avoid the rush.

3. The BE is not an attractive conference at this point.

VA Tech, Miami and BC really hurt the BE and themselves by leaving the conference. All were better off in the BE. S. Florida had a good year or two, but that was a flush in the pan. The BE is a dead conference that is more like a zombie than a living conference....sort of a zombie conference.

This makes complete sense for the Big East.

Nova has always had a spot reserved for them in Big East if/when they jump to FBS, since they are already a full member of the Big East. If Nova moves up, it shifts the balance of power in Big East to the football schools since they would no longer be split 50/50 between the basketball and football schools. Much easier to go this route than to add a 17th full member because all schools would have to approve. Adding a football only school like Temple wouldn't sway the balance of power either. Nova is the best option, but I still have trouble seeing Nova making the jump.

Would the MAC want Villanova for football? Wouldn't that fit make sense? The conference would have two Philly schools for football only and they'd be natural rivals for each other.

A bigger question there might be would Villanova want the MAC. No chance. If they have an invite from a conference they are already in that is a BCS conference why would they make the same investments they'd have to make for the Big East to join the worst (or at best second worst) conference in the FCS?