The 2012 Recruiting Thread

Well with the Zips 2011 class all but closed up, and 2012 names starting to pop up, I figure it is about time to start that 2012 thread. I'll try to keep this updated as best I can, same as the 2011 thread. Keep in mind that the Zips will have only two graduating seniors for 2012 (Brett McClanahan and Nikola Cvetinovic) and their spots MAY already be taken (depending upon the eligibility of 2011 prospects Demetrius Treadwell and Nick Harney).

Zips Verbals:

Carmelo Betancourt: 5'11" 170lb - PG - Montrose Christian High School - via San Juan Puerto Rico - Zips were his only known offer, although there was alleged interest from a number of high major programs - Not listed on any of the major recruiting services. Member of the Puerto Rican U19 National team.

Jake Kretzer: 6'6" 187lb - SF - Waverly High School - Waverly Ohio - Reported offers from the Zips, Albany, Gardner Webb, James Madison and Miami(OH) - Rivals.com no stars - Scout.com two stars - ESPN.com rating of 80. Member of the prestigious All-Ohio Red AAU basketball club.

Reggie McAdamas: 6'6" 195lb - SF - Elida High School - Elida Ohio - Only reported basketball offer was from the Zips. - Rivals.com unlisted, Scout.com unlisted, ESPN.com rating of 89. Two sport star who has received significant interest from a number of high major football programs as a quarterback.

Transfering to the Zips:

Offered by the Zips:

Myles Hamilton: 6'1"185lb - PG - SG - St. Edwards High School - Cleveland Ohio - Currently lists offers from the Zips and Can't State - Rivals.com no stars - Scout.com two stars - ESPN.com rating of 85. Plays on the same All-Ohio Red AAU basketball club as current Zips verbal Jake Kretzer.

Chris Harrison-Docks: 6'0" 155lb - PG - Okemos High School - Okemos Michigan - Currently lists offers from the Zips, Ball State, Bradley, Butler, Central Michigan, Drake, Duquesne, Sam Houston State, San Diego State, Utah, Western Kentucky, Western Michigan and William & Mary- Rivals.com no stars - Scout.com two stars - ESPN.com rating of 88.

Committed to Butler: April 27, 2011

Tamron Manning: 6'4" 188lb - SG - Scott County High School - Georgetown Kentucky - Currently lists offers from the Zips, Eastern Kentucky, James Madison, Marshall and Ohio - Rivals.com no stars - Scout.com no stars - ESPN.com unlisted. Former high-school teamate of Akron 2010 recruit Dakotah Euton.

Kyle Molock: 6'3" 180lb - PG - Coffman High School - Dublin Ohio - Currently ists offers from the Zips, Florida International, Ohio, Purdue and St. Joseph's. Rivals.com three stars - Scout.com three stars - ESPN.com rating of 88. Recently de-committed from Purdue, opening his recruitment back up.

William Moore: 6'0" 160lb - PG - Aiken High School - Cincinnati Ohio - Currently lists offers from the Zips, James Madison, Can't State, Miami(OH), Ohio and Xavier - Rivals.com no stars - Scout.com unlisted - ESPN.com unlisted.

Evan Payne: 6'1" 180lb - SG - Huntington Prep School - Walsh Jesuit High School - Cuyahoga Falls Ohio - Currently lists offers from the Zips, Cleveland State, TCU and USC. Rivals.com three stars - Scout.com unlisted - ESPN.com unlisted.

Desmond Ridenour: 6'0" 170lb - PG - Benedictine High School - Cleveland Ohio - Currently lists offers from the Zips and TCU - Rivals.com no stars - Scout.com unlisted - ESPN.com ranking of 40.

Jalen Robinson: 6'7" 215lb - PF - Northland High School - Columbus Ohio - Currently lists offers from the Zips, Can't, Ohio and West Virginia. Originally committed to West Virginia but has since opened his recruitment back up. Rumor is that Huggins pulled his scholarship offer. Rivals.com three stars - Scout.com two stars - ESPN.com rating of 90.

Committed to Dayton: June 28, 2011

Terry Rozier: 6'0" 165lb - PG - Shaker Heights High School - Shaker Heights Ohio - Currently lists offers from the Zips, Cleveland State, Dayton, Illinois, and Can't. Rivals.com three stars - Scout.com no stars - ESPN.com rating of 89.

Devon Scott: 6'8" 205lb - PF - Northland High School - Columbus Ohio - Currently lists offers from the Zips, Cincinnati, Cleveland State, Georgia Southern, Indiana State, James Madison, Can't State and Miami Ohio. High School teamate of fellow Zips 2012 target Jalen Robinson. Rivals.com no stars - Scout.com no stars - ESPN.com unlisted.

Committed to Cincinnati: June 14, 2011

Eric Truog: 6'10" 235lb - PF - Kenston High School - Bainbridge Ohio - Currently lists offers from the Zips, Cornell, Eastern Michigan, Fairfield, Can't State, UNC-Greensboro, St. Joseph and Toledo. Rivals.com no stars - Scout.com unlisted - ESPN.com unlisted.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many thanks for starting and maintaining these annual recruiting threads.

It seems to me that 2012 is the class where the Zips need to bring in their next center to play a season behind Zeke before he graduates. Skilled true centers are hard to come by at any level. There are NBA teams that don't have highly skilled true centers, let alone college teams at the MAC level. So while I'd like to think the Zips might find another Zeke out there, there's a good chance they may have to rely on one of their power forwards in the middle after Zeke graduates.

Many thanks for starting and maintaining these annual recruiting threads.

It seems to me that 2012 is the class where the Zips need to bring in their next center to play a season behind Zeke before he graduates. Skilled true centers are hard to come by at any level. There are NBA teams that don't have highly skilled true centers, let alone college teams at the MAC level. So while I'd like to think the Zips might find another Zeke out there, there's a good chance they may have to rely on one of their power forwards in the middle after Zeke graduates.

In general I agree with you, but we kind of need to see how the scholarship situation plays itself out. Looking at what we should have on the roster after next season another C and another PG seem to be big needs. Of course, as I said above, we may not even have a single scholarship to give out depending on how things go with Harney and Treadwell. In that case we would be very thin at PG and C while having logjams at SG, SF and PF.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Columbus Northland standout PF Jalen Robinson has opened his recruiting back up after originally committing to Bob Huggins and West Virginia. He has an offer from the Zips.

It looks like he looking at Big 10 schools instead. He seems confused in this story

“Schools I’m considering are Wisconson, Iowa, Cincinnati, DePaul, Nebraska, Michigan and Xaiver,” said Robinson. “Wake Forest and Georgia Tech are in the piscture as well.”

Robinson also made an unofficial visit to West Virginia a few weeks earlier and maintained the Mountaineers are still a school under consideration as well as anyone from the Big East.

“I do still plan to play in the Big East,” he added.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks like another one to add. In a story on last night's Jackson HS game against Walsh Jesuit, the Canton Repository reports that Walsh Jesuit star Evan Payne (a junior) has been offered by UA as well as Southern Cal, TCU, Can't and Central Michigan. Payne is an extremely athletic 6-1 guard who plays above the rim. From the YouTube video, it appears that he has really nice looking form on his 3-pointer, as well as a really nasty slam in the paint. He can play both guard positions, but at his height most likely needs to focus on the point. If he chooses UA, perhaps Rico's heir apparent?

Canton Repository Story

BJ Story

Year Old SportsInk Story

Looks like another one to add. In a story on last night's Jackson HS game against Walsh Jesuit, the Canton Repository reports that Walsh Jesuit star Evan Payne (a junior) has been offered by UA as well as Southern Cal, TCU, Can't and Central Michigan. Payne is an extremely athletic 6-1 guard who plays above the rim. From the YouTube video, it appears that he has really nice looking form on his 3-pointer, as well as a really nasty slam in the paint. He can play both guard positions, but at his height most likely needs to focus on the point. If he chooses UA, perhaps Rico's heir apparent?

Canton Repository Story

BJ Story

Year Old SportsInk Story

He looks promising. We have one advantage in that UA has an excellent Engineering school. :)

• 1 month later...

Looks like the Zips are after two local players, including a former Cavs legend son:

http://www.ohiomm.com/blogs/varsity_letters/

Larry Nance Jr has received an offer from Akron. He is a late bloomer, he really grew in his senior year and seems to be getting better and better. And you have to like his genes. I guess the father was also a late bloomer as well.

Also looks like we are showing interest in the Greater Akron Player of the Year Darius Carter. Put up over 23 PPG and 14 PPG. At 6'7'', 220, he seems like has a DI ready body. That is a great size for a wing/post player. Grades may be an issue if JUCOs are showing interest.

• 2 weeks later...

Zips haven't offered yet, but a player that looks like we should keep an eye on is Elijah Macon of Columbus Marion Franklin and who's AAU team is All-Ohio Red. Elijah is a 6-7, 200 lb. PF whom Rivals gives 4-stars and ranks as the #12 PF in the nation.

He's only received a single offer thus far, from USC, so grades must be an issue?

Here is Elijah Macon's Rivals.com bio.

Updated to include Rozier who looks to be a very intriguing prospect.

Already starting to see a trend with the offers for the 2012 class. Four of our eight known offers at this point are PG's (Harrison-Docks, Moore, Ridenour and Rozier).

If Nyles Evans decides to walk-on @ UA, do you think that would change our recruiting philosophy for next year?

Updated to include Rozier who looks to be a very intriguing prospect.

Already starting to see a trend with the offers for the 2012 class. Four of our eight known offers at this point are PG's (Harrison-Docks, Moore, Ridenour and Rozier).

If Nyles Evans decides to walk-on @ UA, do you think that would change our recruiting philosophy for next year?

I doubt we would want to be relying too much on a walk-on with grade issues to shore up our PG position. In 2012 Abreu will be a junior, Brian Walsh (who is supposed to be seeing minutes at PG next year) will be a senior. Your only other two guards will be Justice and Ibitayo who all reports have being more SG. If you can get a top level PG to come in for 2012 you have to jump at that opportunity. I for one don't want to go through any more season of watching us try to convert SG's over to PG.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just because, my butt! This is must-have chart. It shouldn't be buried in the middle of any one thread, but should be pinned by itself where it's easily accessible for reference. This will save hundreds of wasted posts over the years where people try to sum up what's shown here at a single glance.

My only question is the way that Green, Harney and Treadwell are shown. I think it makes sense to use a consistent Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior to reflect expected athletic eligibility.

For redshirts like Green, I think it would read a little easier to use something like Freshman*, Sophomore*, etc., with * identified as redshirt in a table at the bottom of the chart.

For players like Harney and Treadwell, I think it would also read a little easier if they were shown as Freshman**, Sophomore**, etc., with ** identified as academic exemption or some term like that in the table.

Having a table with asterisks would also allow other comments for players with extenuating circumstances.

Nice work!