The 2012 Recruiting Thread

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't Gilliam have only one year of eligibility?

Gilliam has 2 years remaining. But Walsh has 3.

Walsh played 2 at Xavier IIRC.

Don't make me post an endzone gnome pic! ;)

En español, tres años?

Wow. That wasn't my understanding at all. He must have gotten a medical hardship for his Freshman year at Xavier. It's pretty clear he was at Xavier for 2 seasons (even refers to his red-shirt Frosh year). That's great he'll have a full 4 years in the program here. I'll update the graphic sometime soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is a little update on what our recruits are up to this season.

Kretzer sets gym record to lead Waverly's boys basketball team to Classic title

WAVERLY -- It's common knowledge in sports that big players show up in big games.

That certainly was the case in Friday's Pike County Holiday Classic championship game between crosstown rivals Waverly and Piketon, as the Tigers' Jake Kretzer set a gym record with 43 points in an 89-64 win.

"Tonight (Kretzer) showed why he's a Division I basketball player," said Waverly coach Travis Robertson. "He scored in every way you can score in a basketball game."

He also attacked the basket going after missed shots, grabbing 14 rebounds.

Reggie McAdams

Elida's 6-foot-6 senior Reggie McAdams topped all scorers with 17 points and grabbed eight rebounds as the Bulldogs dropped to 7-1.

Germany proves too big for Puerto Rico at the Nike Global Challenge (live chat recap)

Mike Richman, OregonLive.com: Carmelo Betancourt lays one in off the glass. He's already taken more shots in the first two minutes of this game (2) as he did all of yesterday. Max Muller hits a jumper for Germany on the other end.

Mike Richman, OregonLive.com: Carmelo Betancourt picks off a pass at half court and races the other way. He flips in a bucket off the glass and draws the foul. He misses the free throw. Betancourt is just 1-5 at the line today.

Mike Richman, OregonLive.com: Carmelo Betancourt finds Chris Ortiz downlow off a back screen and Ortiz hammers home a two-handed dunk. The German coach is unhappy with his team's defense despite the 21-point lead

Mike Richman, OregonLive.com: Final stats: For Puerto Rico, Chris Ortiz 13 pts, 6 rebs, 3 blks; Will Martinez 18 pts, 6 rebs, 6 stls; Dejuan Marrero 7 pts, 9 rebs; Camerlo Betancourt 6 pts; Rasham Suarez 2 pts (1-12 FGs); Eliel Gonzalez 2 pts; Giancarlo Santiago 4 pts

• 4 weeks later...

I got the chance to see Future Zip Reggie McAdams (#21) in action today and here are some pictures I could snap from my seat.

The kid is a KD dream. He does all the right things coaches want. Play defense without fouling, team first mentality, amazing inside out game, great FT shooting, and a great overall vision of the court. The most impressive stat of the game:

a 6-6 guy handling and distributing the ball for long stretches of time, 0 turnovers.

The only negative thing i saw is that he did not do a great job boxing out and fighting for rebounds.

Reggie was playing the 5 on the defensive end guarding the paint. On offense, he was everywhere, he shot a couple of threes and made 1 iirc, he slashed and posted up but he was always doubled in the post and ended up passing the ball to the open guy.

The guy can flat out play multiple positions. He's not as athletic as Q or Harney so don't expect that. His body reminds me of Romeo Travis (6-6, strong, but not that wide) and his skill set is very similar to what I've seen from Chauncey Gilliam so far (Driving, speed, and 3 point shooting).

Although very impressed with what I saw, I feel that all 3 incomers will redshirt next year because of the lack of available PT.

On a final note, the kid (#31) that appears in some of the pictures below is a 6-4 sophomore, his name I believe is Dakotah Matthias (sp?). And the kid can also play. One of the parents was telling me that he played sparse minutes of varsity last year as he was a 6-1 freshman. Now he starts for the varsity team at 6-4. I believe that our staff members are probably aware of him and I hope to see him in blue and gold in 2015.

post-316-1327718770_thumb.jpg

post-316-1327718789_thumb.jpg

post-316-1327718800_thumb.jpg

post-316-1327718824_thumb.jpg

McAdams has an ESPN scout grade of 89, and is ranked the 5th best HS senior in Ohio. The only current Zips player who had a higher rating out of HS than McAdams was Zeke with a 92.

Of all the current Zips players, Brian Walsh had the second highest rating behind Zeke with a grade of 88.

If McAdams performs at a similar level to Walsh, he's an Xavier-level player who would comfortably fit into the Zips current lineup, considering that the other current Zips players outside of Zeke all graded lower than 89.

Think for a moment that Nick Harney had a scout grade of 87 out of HS. We should have high expectations for McAdams.

Kretzer is more of a question mark. His current ESPN scout grade is 80, and they rank him the 26th best HS senior in Ohio. For comparison, Josh Egner was graded an 84 out of HS.

The good news about Kretzer is that his stock is going up in his senior season. Some of the HS talent rating services have moved Kretzer up in their rankings to the second best senior small/wing forward in Ohio behind only McAdams. Hopefully this is a sign that Kretzer is more of a late bloomer with a big upside.

McAdams has an ESPN scout grade of 89, and is ranked the 5th best HS senior in Ohio. The only current Zips player who had a higher rating out of HS than McAdams was Zeke with a 92.

Of all the current Zips players, Brian Walsh had the second highest rating behind Zeke with a grade of 88.

If McAdams performs at a similar level to Walsh, he's an Xavier-level player who would comfortably fit into the Zips current lineup, considering that the other current Zips players outside of Zeke all graded lower than 89.

Think for a moment that Nick Harney had a scout grade of 87 out of HS. We should have high expectations for McAdams.

Kretzer is more of a question mark. His current ESPN scout grade is 80, and they rank him the 26th best HS senior in Ohio. For comparison, Josh Egner was graded an 84 out of HS.

The good news about Kretzer is that his stock is going up in his senior season. Some of the HS talent rating services have moved Kretzer up in their rankings to the second best senior small/wing forward in Ohio behind only McAdams. Hopefully this is a sign that Kretzer is more of a late bloomer with a big upside.

This just proves ratings are meaningless.

Do you remember what Dakotah Euton was rated? Look I loved the guy, but these grades reflect far more than the swagger factor we drool over. I like to see a team made up of super athletic forwards who can jump over the JAR in a single bound. Shooting guards with high basketball IQs, who hit nothing but net (even in carnival sized hoops). Point guards who are lightning quick and can handle the ball as if they were on the Harlem Globetrotters. Centers who live to destroy anything that comes into their house, finishing around the hoop with precision and power.

Maybe this is the type of player we'll get...who knows, but it's pretty cool to have such high expectations as a Zips fan! B)

Euton had an ESPN scout grade of 85, 1 point higher than Egner.

Of course these scouting service grades aren't perfect. They're someone's best estimates of a player's skills at a certain point in his career. Some HS players peak early and some continue to grow at a high rate. Some reach their full potential in college and some never do.

But when you go through and look at the list on ESPN, for example, you see that the players with the higher scout grades generally end up with the better college programs, and the players with the lower grades generally end up with the lesser college programs. So obviously most college coaches are believers in the general validity of the scout grades.

Like every other team, the Zips are more likely to have success with more players from the higher end of the scout grade scale than the lower end.

I'll throw my .02 in here on the Zips 2012 class:

Betancourt was a must get, or at least a player like him. Abreu has already had to deal with some injury issues, and we don't have another player on the roster who can regularly handle 25-30 minutes a night at the point. We needed another pass first, floor general PG type on the roster and by all reports Melo is exactly that. He is the only guy that I will say for certain will see minutes unless he gets injured or is just a complete bust his freshman year.

I don't get where the idea comes from that McAdams doesn't fit the KD2.0 recruiting philosophy. I've heard him compared favorbly to Gilliam, who is certainly within the mold of a KD2.0 recruit. All the reports say the kid is a talented athlete with a diverse offensive repitoire. Certainly sounds like a KD2.0 recruit to me. I hate to play the race card here, but I wonder if we would be having this same conversation if Reggie was a black kid from downtown Cleveland?

Kretzer is a mystery to me. You look at photos of him and he is a ripped 6'7", but the reports I've heard on him say he prefers to play on the perimeter as opposed to banging inside like you would expect from the pictures of him. If I were going to make comparisons I think his ceiling would be around a Nate Linhart while his basement would be a Michael Green kind of player. I just don't know where to peg him yet.

So if Deji is not a point guard than what is he? Judging by the shots i saw him take and the quality of his 3 points stroke, he definitely isn't a shooting guard.

Deji's ideal development is as a defensive minded 2 guard. That 6'9" wingspan could make him a lock down perimeter defender. He has a long way to go to be any kind of significant offensive threat, but he could be a nice role player coming off the bench to defend the other teams best guard.

• 1 month later...

I saw Reggie McAdams today as his Elida HS had their district game right here in Ada. In this game, Elida beat Willard 72-46. Are you ready for Reggie's stat line?

Here we go:

30 pts (including 6-11 from behind the arc)

5 rebounds

3 Assists

0 Turnovers

6 FREAKING blocks

4 steals

A journalist at the media table was saying that the last time anyone had a stat line better than that in D2 OHSSA was a kid from Akron's STVM in 2002.

Heading to the game, I was debating whether or not I should wear my zips colors since I sit at the officials table and I should be "unbiased". Unbiased shmunbiased - I eventually made the right decision to get all decked out in my blue and gold which earned me a smile and what could be an eye wink from Reggie as he came to the table to check in. After the game, I congratulated him and told him that I can't wait to see him in B&G. He said that he was very excited about it too.

I really hope that KD made friends in Elida, that team has another (younger) D1 talent that he should keep an eye on. Dakotah Mathias a 6-3 sphomore (wow) had a 20 pts, 4 rebs, and 4 assists.

Chillicothe's London, Waverly's Kretzer lead District 14 coaches' selections

Kretzer, who returned from an injury to score a game-high 30 points in a district semifinal, received district Player of the Year honors and will play in the North/South All-Star game

Waverly stiffens in fourth quarter of boys basketball win against Fairfield Union

Waverly's Jake Kretzer got his numbers -- finishing with a game-high 30 points -- but really made an impact with 12 of those in the fourth -- helping to erase a 45-40 deficit in the final minutes.

"We're not sitting here talking with a happy face right now if Kretzer doesn't play tonight," Robertson said. "What can you say about the kid? It's no secret that everyone going to try and stop him and he's scoring 27 to 30 points getting beat on and he still just gets it done."