The 2012 Recruiting Thread

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My apologies in advance to Malakiah Hunter if he has huge hidden talent. But he simply does not have the resume of recent Zips scholarship players. Most recent Zips recruits have been all-state players with at least fairly high rankings on the recruiting websites.

The Philadelphia Daily News named 32 players to their first through sixth All Public Teams, and Hunter did not even make the sixth team. He was just an honorable mention. So he certainly did not show the level of talent in HS to match recent Zips scholarship recruits.

The least highly awarded HS player the Zips have signed in recent years was Ibitayo. But there were a number of articles about Deji in Illinois newspapers describing him as a late bloomer who was one of the top sleepers in the state. I can't find anything on Hunter that suggests he has shown even hints of playing at the level of recent Zips scholarship players.

My apologies in advance to Malakiah Hunter if he has huge hidden talent. But he simply does not have the resume of recent Zips scholarship players. Most recent Zips recruits have been all-state players with at least fairly high rankings on the recruiting websites.

The Philadelphia Daily News named 32 players to their first through sixth All Public Teams, and Hunter did not even make the sixth team. He was just an honorable mention. So he certainly did not show the level of talent in HS to match recent Zips scholarship recruits.

The least highly awarded HS player the Zips have signed in recent years was Ibitayo. But there were a number of articles about Deji in Illionois newspaper describing him as a late bloomer who was one of the top sleepers in the state. I can't find anything on Hunter that suggests he has shown even hints of playing at the level of recent Zips scholarship players.

Yep, I said it earlier, I hope he is the next Jordan but something is just not right.

Speculation ended: Team sources confirm that Hunter will be a walk-on. He's pretty talented, but the Zips just do not need another scholarship PG right now. Justice, Ibitayo, Egner and all other scholarship players on the 2011 roster will be back, and will be joined by the three new recruits -- Carmelo Betancourt, Jake Kretzer and Reggie McAdams.

Betancourt has already impressed the coaching staff with his abilities as backup PG, and is expected to have similar performance to Rico as he gains college experience. He's already earned the nickname of Melo, and it's almost certain that he will not redshirt. The Zips should be solid at PG.

The search for 2013 recruits to fill the expected three open scholarships continues to focus on bigs -- centers and power forwards. There's a chance that the Zips could possibly take a talented wing or guard if one is available. But this would most likely be a late decision only if the coaching staff can't sign three quality bigs.

We don't need a #2 guard that can shoot the lights out?

I saw how OU ran through the 2012 NCAA tourney. I want to be like them. I want guards that can hit the 3 at a sick pace.

I'm not knocking Justice or his ability, I'm just not sure where he fits.

Abreu is the obvious starter at PG, with Betancourt backing him up.

Gilliam, Walsh, and Diggs will play the wing, with McAdams possibly being in that mix as well.

Marshall, Treadwell, Harney, and Egner will be our post players.

That leaves both Ibitayo and Justice on the outside looking in. That means that barring injury both, at the earliest, will be rotation players their junior years. Will that be acceptable to both?

I'm not knocking Justice or his ability, I'm just not sure where he fits.

Abreu is the obvious starter at PG, with Betancourt backing him up.

Gilliam, Walsh, and Diggs will play the wing, with McAdams possibly being in that mix as well.

Marshall, Treadwell, Harney, and Egner will be our post players.

That leaves both Ibitayo and Justice on the outside looking in. That means that barring injury both, at the earliest, will be rotation players their junior years. Will that be acceptable to both?

I agree that with Gilliam and Diggs being seniors, and maybe Walsh being a senior too, that there won't be a ton of minutes available at shooting guard. But there will be some. As a redshirt Fr,., 8-or-so mpg wouldn't be too bad?

I really wonder where Ibitayo will fit in. Not a great shooter. Not a great ball handler. Great upside. Great length. Is he still a year away from meaningful minutes? Seems like it.

UAZip0510, don't forget that Justice will be just be a freshman player this season because of his redshirt. So he could play some minutes this season, and then make the rotation in his sophomore season. Ibitayo got enough experience playing as a true freshman last season to potentially make the rotation this season, depending on his progression. Ibitayo's reputation in HS was as a lockdown defender. His 6-9 wingspan could make life miserable for other teams' guards.

Also forgot to mention that walk-on CJ Oldham appears to be transferring out. It's been noted that CJ could be a starter on some D-I teams that lack UA's depth. Don't know where CJ is headed. Could be the source of Zach's rumor about a basketball player transferring to Lake Erie College. CJ could be a real force in a D-II program like Lake Erie's, should he end up there.

UAZip0510, don't forget that Justice will be just be a freshman player this season because of his redshirt. So he could play some minutes this season, and then make the rotation in his sophomore season. Ibitayo got enough experience playing as a true freshman last season to potentially make the rotation this season, depending on his progression. Ibitayo's reputation in HS was as a lockdown defender. His 6-9 wingspan could make life miserable for other teams' guards.

Also forgot to mention that walk-on CJ Oldham appears to be transferring out. It's been noted that CJ could be a starter on some D-I teams that lack UA's depth. Don't know where CJ is headed. Could be the source of Zach's rumor about a basketball player transferring to Lake Erie College. CJ could be a real force in a D-II program like Lake Erie's, should he end up there.

I did forget the redshirt...I was looking at the scholarship chart posted elsewhere on ZN and didn't realize it wasn't updated.

• 2 weeks later...

Hill is a 6-6, 210-pound small forward, and the Zips are pretty loaded at that position right now. If he comes to UA and sits out this coming season, he might be able to help fill in the following season for Q and Gilliam, who will be seniors this season. But his limited playing time at Dayton in his sophomore season suggests that he might be more of a backup than a starter for the Zips. Then again, Hill was a top player in HS and it's possible he could elevate his game at UA.

For the 2013-14 season, the Zips will likely have Harney, McAdams and Kretzer all trying to earn minutes at the 3 position. Hill is also supposed to be able to play the 2 spot, though he doesn't have a lot of weight to bang with the beefier power forwards. He's supposed to have good hops, though.

Hill is a 6-6, 210-pound small forward, and the Zips are pretty loaded at that position right now. If he comes to UA and sits out this coming season, he might be able to help fill in the following season for Q and Gilliam, who will be seniors this season. But his limited playing time at Dayton in his sophomore season suggests that he might be more of a backup than a starter for the Zips. Then again, Hill was a top player in HS and it's possible he could elevate his game at UA.

For the 2013-14 season, the Zips will likely have Harney, McAdams and Kretzer all trying to earn minutes at the 3 position. Hill is also supposed to be able to play the 2 spot, though he doesn't have a lot of weight to bang with the beefier power forwards. He's supposed to have good hops, though.

6'6" huh.

Better take that with a grain of salt.

Chris Johnson who played 4 years at Dayton listed at 6'6" has been officially measured in at various NBA workouts at 6'3.5".

I hope Hill has a great remainder of a career at Oakland. His addition to the Zips will only give them an extra body at practice.