Captain's Blog #5

I was going to skip this week, but due to popular demand I'll take an look at This Week in Zips Football...

While GP1 opines on the sorry state of the MAC, and the lack of quality teams, that is a very broad brush to paint the entire conference. There are teams at the middle/bottom of the conference who would be lucky to be 0.500 with an all-1-AA schedule. But at the top are a couple legit D-1 programs. NIU is one of them. They play like a veteran, well-coached team. One that played South Florida in a bowl last season, and also played in a bowl the previous year.

NIU picked us apart unmercifully Saturday night. 50 points in three quarters is about as many points as you can score in the time allotted. Our DB's are woefully undersized against real WR's, and NIU had a couple of them. It is amazing how simple it is for an opposing offense to move the ball against the Zips...and how difficult it is for the Zips to even get consecutive 1st downs.

I said a while ago that it is a blessing to be a younger fan and have hope that things are going to turn around. Kibitzing in the tailgate lot, and on the board with some of the long-time fans... the old guys are flat-out getting beat down. It's really tough to remain optimistic when you've been through this before with Faust...then Owens...then Brookhart...and now Ianello. <Insert Coach Here> arrives...terrible year #1...better year #2...mediocre year #3...gets a contract extension...then, mediocre-to-bad for the next several seasons until there's 1 year remaining on the contract and we can afford to buy it out. Then it starts again....

Through 5 games this season, everyone here has done their best to exercise patience in allowing the new staff and new systems to be implemented. The problem is -- we aren't even competitive. We've sunk so low that we're losing at home to bad 1-AA teams. We're a 17 point underdog to K.e.n.t. Freaking State. How is it possible to be so bad? How?

Looking back into the summer...two other things stand out as contributors to the ire of older fans (I'll consider "older" being graduated, and paying for your tickets). Getting the boot from Lot 9, for the purposes of making way for $5k football donors, set a bad tone. It really showed me that someone has no idea what the hell they are doing. The cancellation of the golf outing ruined the chance for the staff to bond with fans. Fans are apt to be much more forgiving if they feel the have a personal relationship with the staff. No one has such a relationship. Both summer instances make fans feel that they are not valued. Both instances would have been forgotten, if the parking lots were packed, and the team was competitive. But the lots are empty, and the team is 0-5.

Now, ticket prices have dropped. Too bad for you suckers that bought season ducats. Look for 2011 tickets to be a VERY hard sell.

That all said - Is everything Ianello's fault? No. I see all the clamor to fire the guy...which is absurd since we can't eat 3 years of anyone's contract. And we shouldn't. They guy deserves his obligatory 4 years to see what he can do with his own players. And with his system installed for 3-4 years. Whether or not that contributes to continuation of the above-mentioned "cycle" or not is irrelevant.. it's reality.

It is tough to have such a sweet stadium, yet get blown out by 36 @ homecoming. It's tough to get you're kids pumped to attend a game...to get their faces painted and all that stuff... and have them see the Zips rack up loss after loss after loss.

Ianello has one big, fat chance to turn the tide on this sea(son) of negativity. And that chance is to show up Saturday and beat a K.e.n.t. State football team that has no clue how to win. He beats 1 - 3 K.e.n.t., and the boo-birds will begin to quiet as he heads into what should be a very competitive stretch of games:

Can't - no 1-A wins. Terrible.

OU - decent, but not great

WMU - terrible (lost to Idaho by 20 @ home, and still doesn't have a 1-A win)

Temple - Just a replay of the NIU game.

Ball State - horrid

Miami - 1 TD better than K.e.n.t.

Buffalo - Horrid

Turn it around, Zips. Give us some hope. Please.

A final note - I've seen the sidelines in past seasons, during blow outs, and a lot of players appeared to care less. I was at field level at game's end last week. There was no one yukking it up. To a man, everyone was sullen. So if the questions is "Has Ianello "'lost the team,"' the answer looks to be "no."

Gotta get back to work...lunch is over.

I wondered why we didn't see a minor exodus of Brookhart players when the new coach came in and changed everything. Now I think I understand. The disgruntled players knew they weren't talented enough to make it on another team as a scholarship player, so they are sticking around to get a free education. The problem with this is that they aren't putting in the effort for football anymore, which has made those mediocre players even worse. They constantly complain and work against team cohesion, and make it difficult to practice. It's like trying to get some work done with a bunch of whining kids always getting in your way. This is a sentiment I've heard expressed by some players, players whose efforts to win are evident on the field.

Maybe it's time to do a little addition by subtraction after this season. Ianello seems like a pretty neutral guy. He doesn't get fired up one way or the other, but it's time to become a hard-ass and tell these players to either get it together or get out. He might need to threaten to pull some scholarships and even make an example out of the worst three or four offenders. It would also open up some scholarships with what looks to be a very small senior class graduating, which should help him since he is supposed to be "a great recruiter".

But at the top are a couple legit D-1 programs. NIU is one of them. They play like a veteran, well-coached team. One that played UCLA very tough in a bowl last season.

Cap'n - that was Temple.

Rats - I got my International Bowl and Silicon Bowl mixed up. :wave:

Regardless - they are a team who's Redshirt Freshman thru Seniors, have bowl experience. Heck -- their Soph-thru-Seniors have been to two bowls.

They played like a team with bowl experience, and we played like one that isn't confident they can win one game, let-alone 6 or 7.

I wondered why we didn't see a minor exodus of Brookhart players when the new coach came in and changed everything. Now I think I understand. The disgruntled players knew they weren't talented enough to make it on another team as a scholarship player, so they are sticking around to get a free education. The problem with this is that they aren't putting in the effort for football anymore, which has made those mediocre players even worse. They constantly complain and work against team cohesion, and make it difficult to practice. It's like trying to get some work done with a bunch of whining kids always getting in your way. This is a sentiment I've heard expressed by some players, players whose efforts to win are evident on the field.

Maybe it's time to do a little addition by subtraction after this season. Ianello seems like a pretty neutral guy. He doesn't get fired up one way or the other, but it's time to become a hard-ass and tell these players to either get it together or get out. He might need to threaten to pull some scholarships and even make an example out of the worst three or four offenders. It would also open up some scholarships with what looks to be a very small senior class graduating, which should help him since he is supposed to be "a great recruiter".

I'm not liking the sound of this. If this is the direction in which we're headed, it could be a loooooong time before we recover.

Now, ticket prices have dropped. Too bad for you suckers that bought season ducats. Look for 2011 tickets to be a VERY hard sell.

Honestly, this is one of my biggest issues. I better see something in the mail trying to convince me to stay a season ticket holder. With the things that were mentioned above making fans feel unappreciated plus the on-the-field product right now, I'm not sure if even a price-freeze would get me to stay on board(the tickets are scheduled to go UP after the initial 2-year price break for pre-ICS season ticket holders). I was one of the fans (along with a large tailgate contingent of younger "regulars" that were pseudo booted from lot 9. I shouldn't take it personally, but I do. We decided to not renew our passes when that news was announced about the "donor lot." Subsequently, a lot of folks were bumped up to lot 9, and we were relegated to the "party" lot in 34. It's a ghost town. I'm about fed up for now, and I may just drop off the football roll call and spend that money on soccer and basketball. At least I'll see some winning.

Honestly, this is one of my biggest issues. I better see something in the mail trying to convince me to stay a season ticket holder. With the things that were mentioned above making fans feel unappreciated plus the on-the-field product right now, I'm not sure if even a price-freeze would get me to stay on board(the tickets are scheduled to go UP after the initial 2-year price break for pre-ICS season ticket holders). I was one of the fans (along with a large tailgate contingent of younger "regulars" that were pseudo booted from lot 9. I shouldn't take it personally, but I do. We decided to not renew our passes when that news was announced about the "donor lot." Subsequently, a lot of folks were bumped up to lot 9, and we were relegated to the "party" lot in 34. It's a ghost town. I'm about fed up for now, and I may just drop off the football roll call and spend that money on soccer and basketball. At least I'll see some winning.

Instead of putting this on here send an e-mail directly to the AD. I did. He did respond. But,he needs to here this stuff directly. He may or may not see it here.

I just finished watching Coach I's interview today and quite frankly he's very comfortable for a team that is 0-5 now granted we probably should be 2-3. I know that he has a pass for two more years, but for some reason I feel that he should have a little more sense of urgency. Personally I think he's gonna get this ship righted. Georgio Bowers is transfering but maybe this is a start of an exodus of players that maybe don't fit his team concept. I'm not giving up quite yet.

I just finished watching Coach I's interview today and quite frankly he's very comfortable for a team that is 0-5 now granted we probably should be 2-3. I know that he has a pass for two more years, but for some reason I feel that he should have a little more sense of urgency. Personally I think he's gonna get this ship righted. Georgio Bowers is transfering but maybe this is a start of an exodus of players that maybe don't fit his team concept. I'm not giving up quite yet.

I don't feel that any coach is on the hot seat his first year. That is probably more true at a smaller budget school like Akron that can't afford to eat contracts.

:wall::wall::wall:

Comfortable. The last thing he should be is comfortable. If you're right, then this guy isn't going to last long as a head coach.

0-4. All embarrassments. Its hard to imagine any winning coach being comfortable with that.

He made up his mind after four games? Maybe he wanted to be a star who doesn't have to earn his playing time on special teams.

Bowers is an Ianello recruit. This is not good news. I was expecting Brookhart players to be the ones who want out.

Transferring? When two senior RBs will be leaving us at the end of this year? Does anyone know more about this?

Transferring? When two senior RBs will be leaving us at the end of this year? Does anyone know more about this?

Transferring after 4 games from the coach that signed you is a really bad thing. He obviously feels this program is a mess. At least we have Alexander coming back next year...Hopefully.

I said a while ago that it is a blessing to be a younger fan and have hope that things are going to turn around. Kibitzing in the tailgate lot, and on the board with some of the long-time fans... the old guys are flat-out getting beat down. It's really tough to remain optimistic when you've been through this before with Faust...then Owens...then Brookhart...and now Ianello. <Insert Coach Here> arrives...terrible year #1...better year #2...mediocre year #3...gets a contract extension...then, mediocre-to-bad for the next several seasons until there's 1 year remaining on the contract and we can afford to buy it out. Then it starts again....

/quote]

Count me in with this group. My awakening came from going to ACC games on a regular basis and seeing bad BCS teams that would easily win the MAC. I can't pretend the mac is any more than a really, really, really bad league that is more often than not I-AA than I-A.

I really don't know what I would do if I still lived in Ohio. I would probably go buy a boat and take it to Put-in-Bay every weekend just for something fun to do. I'm beaten down by this and I don't even have to go watch it in person anymore. I really don't know how some of you do it. It isn't fun to watch....It isn't fun to read about.....It isn't fun to talk about.....It has just become plain embarrassing...There is no enjoyment to watching the Zips play at all. Now that I live so close to the beach and mountains, I'm going to have to take advantage of them more often. Following the Zips is just such an absolute waste of time right now.

it could be a loooooong time before we recover.

At the rate we are going, it could be ten years. I'm not over exaggerating either. I can't see myself actually giving a crap more than two more years at this rate. It's just terrible. I love UofA, but I just can't take watching/following this football team much more.

I've bee debating the past couple of years about what I should put my money towards at UofA. I don't see how my hard earned money given to the football program/athletic department is anything more than throwing good money down a hole. There are lots of causes at UofA I could give my money to. I'm going to have to start looking around.

Have a nice evening.

I just finished watching Coach I's interview today and quite frankly he's very comfortable for a team that is 0-5 now granted we probably should be 2-3. .....

I've always been envious of people with the special power of being able to read other people's minds. I've watched hundreds of coaches being interviewed over the last half century, and I haven't been able to read the mind of a single one to the point of being confident that they are "comfortable" with losing.

Transferring after 4 games from the coach that signed you is a really bad thing. He obviously feels this program is a mess. .....

Extraordinary! Two mind readers in a single thread! Over the last half century I've seen many players transfer out of winning programs, so I'd have never guessed that one transferring out of a losing program "obviously" did it because he felt the program is a mess.

Now that I know that there are so many forum members on ZN.O with the ability to read other people's minds, I'm going to be extra careful about what I'm thinking.

At the rate we are going, it could be ten years. I'm not over exaggerating either. I can't see myself actually giving a crap more than two more years at this rate. It's just terrible. I love UofA, but I just can't take watching/following this football team much more.

I've bee debating the past couple of years about what I should put my money towards at UofA. I don't see how my hard earned money given to the football program/athletic department is anything more than throwing good money down a hole. There are lots of causes at UofA I could give my money to. I'm going to have to start looking around.

Have a nice evening.

A picture says a thousand words. In this case, a portrait of trimmy10 and GP1. I need not say more.

post-309-1286329329_thumb.jpg

I've been debating the past couple of years about what I should put my money towards at UofA. I don't see how my hard earned money given to the football program/athletic department is anything more than throwing good money down a hole. There are lots of causes at UofA I could give my money to. I'm going to have to start looking around.

Have a nice evening.

GP1, I agree with you concerning football. I had high hopes that a new, on-campus stadium would help U of A turn things around in football. But, for some reason, we have come full circle, bringing in coaches who have failed at Notre Dame, somehow thinking they will win at Akron :rolleyes: .

However, U of A has a good Mens Basketball team and a top notch Mens Soccer team, as well as success in other sports such as rifle and track & field. So, I wouldn't say giving your hard earned money to the athletics department is completely "throwing good money down a hole". I realize this may not mean much to you if you are totally dedicated to football, and I'm not interested in trying to convert anyone who dislikes soccer into being a soccer fan. But, at least consider that you have probably helped out (to some degree) a group of athletes who are proud to be Zips and who represent us well. So, I'll say thank you for that.

Call me a front-runner, call me a bandwagoner, call me a fair-weather fan all you want, but right now as a student I have ZERO motivation to go to any football games. The worst part: Im sure 99% of the student body feels that way too and I'm one of the more diehard fans on campus. I was there for the embarrassment at the hands of Syracuse. I was there for the meltdown at the hands of GW. I was there at the downright shelling at the hands of NIU. Im done. This is my 4th year of Zips football and Im done. I cannot bring myself to willingly leave my house, which is only 3 blocks away from the stadium, brave the cold weather and sit in the stands for 2 hours while I watch my team get decimated by anyone who's willing to walk through the gates, potentially including the Can't State Dance Team. Hell, Id rather go to a Browns game than a Zips game because at least the Browns are competitive and CAN win games.

Will the zips go winless this year: NO. They will win a game or two, but by chance and luck. I have seen NOTHING from this team or coaching staff to make me believe we might deserve to be the favorite for any of our remaining games, much less WIN a game by pure talent.

Call me a front-runner, call me a bandwagoner, call me a fair-weather fan all you want, but right now as a student I have ZERO motivation to go to any football games. The worst part: Im sure 99% of the student body feels that way too and I'm one of the more diehard fans on campus. I was there for the embarrassment at the hands of Syracuse. I was there for the meltdown at the hands of GW. I was there at the downright shelling at the hands of NIU. Im done. This is my 4th year of Zips football and Im done. I cannot bring myself to willingly leave my house, which is only 3 blocks away from the stadium, brave the cold weather and sit in the stands for 2 hours while I watch my team get decimated by anyone who's willing to walk through the gates, potentially including the Can't State Dance Team. Hell, Id rather go to a Browns game than a Zips game because at least the Browns are competitive and CAN win games.

Will the zips go winless this year: NO. They will win a game or two, but by chance and luck. I have seen NOTHING from this team or coaching staff to make me believe we might deserve to be the favorite for any of our remaining games, much less WIN a game by pure talent.

The sad thing is, it seemed like the students had no interest in going to football games BEFORE we even lost a game this year. The turnout for the Syracuse game already showed us that. Were they already seeing where this season was going?

Call me a front-runner, call me a bandwagoner, call me a fair-weather fan all you want, but right now as a student I have ZERO motivation to go to any football games.

Is it OK if we just call you "smart". The types of fans you describe are actually the best type of fans because they won't support a bad product. If you pay money to go to one of these games, you are actually encouraging the University to continue along the path they are on. It's no different than someone in Pittsburgh paying to go see a Pirates game...it only encourages the team to continue to lose.

Dont get me wrong, I love the Zips and I would do everything I can to support them, but Im finding it harder and harder to not only get others, but myself motivated to watch these debacles. I just don't feel like watching this crap. I hate to say it, but at least during the JD era there was some level of competitiveness where I felt we HAD a chance to win. That was exciting, it was entertaining (to some extent), and sometimes landed us a win. Now.... nothing is there. I cant even be entertained by competitiveness because its non-existent. I'm sorry, but the football team has lost me this year.

All I have to say is that if it weren't for the Soccer and Basketball teams, I may have given up on the zips all together. I will still be at every soccer game, and as many basketball games as I can (I'm sure Ill have to miss some), but football has been removed from my calendar. Ill keep the ESPN ScoreCenter notifications on my iPhone to let me know how we do, but thats the extent of how much I care. Instead of going to the games now, Ill work on Saturdays to fund a trip to Santa Barbara, CA :D

I just finished watching Coach I's interview today and quite frankly he's very comfortable for a team that is 0-5 now granted we probably should be 2-3. .....

I've always been envious of people with the special power of being able to read other people's minds. I've watched hundreds of coaches being interviewed over the last half century, and I haven't been able to read the mind of a single one to the point of being confident that they are "comfortable" with losing.

Transferring after 4 games from the coach that signed you is a really bad thing. He obviously feels this program is a mess. .....

Extraordinary! Two mind readers in a single thread! Over the last half century I've seen many players transfer out of winning programs, so I'd have never guessed that one transferring out of a losing program "obviously" did it because he felt the program is a mess.

Now that I know that there are so many forum members on ZN.O with the ability to read other people's minds, I'm going to be extra careful about what I'm thinking.

Well said.