UA buys the Plasma building!

If you read the article in its entirety, will not have seen once that U of A purchsed or has pruchased the bldg. In fact, Plasma might still retain that bldg. for additional office space that they need.

Nah. UA purchased it. They might set up shop in a different building near campus, as a branch that caters specifically to students (like they have near University Heights for all the colleges there). Their new location on Grant Street means that they won't be drawing people from that area towards campus.

I also wonder what time of day they had to show up to get a picture without at least two bums standing there.

What was the name of the bar that used to be there? Was it the Townehouse? I remember going in there on Thursday nights back in the early 80's and seeing James Black in there with all of his girl friends. Draft beers were real cheap, but watered down. That was fun place.

What was the name of the bar that used to be there? Was it the Townehouse? I remember going in there on Thursday nights back in the early 80's and seeing James Black in there with all of his girl friends. Draft beers were real cheap, but watered down. That was fun place.

Yes.....The Townhouse. I'm sure a lot of us older guys frequented that place. That was the hottest bar on the campus back in the early 80s. You used to see a lot of the athletes in there. People would line up down the street to get in that place, even in the middle of winter. You couldn't move in there on a Friday or Saturday night. But, the drinking age was 18 back then too. I remember 25 cent draft beers on one of the weeknights. Made me miss a lot of classes the next morning.

Ah..the memories.

Yes.....The Townhouse. I'm sure a lot of us older guys frequented that place. That was the hottest bar on the campus back in the early 80s. You used to see a lot of the athletes in there. People would line up down the street to get in that place, even in the middle of winter. You couldn't move in there on a Friday or Saturday night. But, the drinking age was 18 back then too. I remember 25 cent draft beers on one of the weeknights. Made me miss a lot of classes the next morning.

Ah..the memories.

I lived in a house that was between the Townhouse and their primary parking lot. A lot of people used to pee in our bushes on the way back to their car. The Townhouse and Plasma Alliance shared that building. It was quite the upscale neighborhood. :)

Ah..the memories.

I lived in a house that was between the Townhouse and their primary parking lot. A lot of people used to pee in our bushes on the way back to their car. The Townhouse and Plasma Alliance shared that building. It was quite the upscale neighborhood. :)

I would have thought that maybe since the bar badly needed more room, the plasma would have gotten moved elsewhere in favor of a larger nightclub. But it happened the other way around. Still to this day, I miss seeing those huge crowds on that corner on a weekend.

Ah..the memories.

Yes, I have memories of the area as well. At least two acquaintances who contracted Hepatitis A from the joint (Plasma Ctr, not the Townehouse, far as I know). One nearly died. Putting this type of economic vampiracy in association with a lower class community and pennyless students is automatic exploitation. A worse set up than "check cashing services" even. This is a case of any change is better than one at all. Akron U, not Skid Row U. Whoops, I mean, The University of Skid Row. ;)

Awesome... Glad to see Akron buy the old Townhouse bar... This is such a great piece of property for Akor to own!!!

Amnyone know what the master plan shows in this location? Additional sports facilities? or more parking?

I don't think it's in the Master Plan but I would bet on either another polymer science building or a very small-footprint dorm :lol:

That's too bad, they gave me 50 bucks each of the last two times i went there. Used that money to pay for my entire tailgates for the first two home games and gas and beer for the trip to OSU a few weeks ago.

From what i understand, it would be very unlikely this is where any sports facilities (basketball arena) would be going as two adjacent properties are owned by people who were recently eminent domained. Don't they have to wait a certain amount of time before doing it again? I'm sure they could just outright by them but that's going to be a pretty penny im sure.

Then it was Dr Feelgoods IIRC. I usually went to the Sun or Splash. They were even bigger dumps.

Randy Aerhart of the Ripper Owens Tap House owned Dr. Feelgoods....this all feels like deja vu to me.

I'm hoping it will be some sort of retail on that corner. I have to imagine a Chipotle on that corner would be a license to print money. With a bar on one side (stay open late) and a head shop on the other they might need their own bank to house all the cash.

Randy Aerhart of the Ripper Owens Tap House owned Dr. Feelgoods....this all feels like deja vu to me.

I'm hoping it will be some sort of retail on that corner. I have to imagine a Chipotle on that corner would be a license to print money. With a bar on one side (stay open late) and a head shop on the other they might need their own bank to house all the cash.

I've got my fingers crossed for a Chipotle. Though I also think a Chipotle would do booming business down in the E. Exchange apartments, but no one with the money to make money has placed one there yet.

Weren't there plans floating around for approximately that area featuring a red-brick apartment building w/ retail shops @ street level? I believe the plans were announced before the housing bubble popped and in conjuncture w/ the Spicer Townhomes. The developers weren't able to sell any townhomes (housing bubble) but I think it's been more than proven that, in the University Park area, there is a greater demand for, than current supply of, quality rental units.