Roowards

After the newly updated Roowards data has been released, (As of 10/26/2010), I decided to look at the statistics.

There have been 6499 students that have received any Roowards points.

40.5% of students that have any points, only have accumulated 5 points. (1 football game)

60.8% have only 10 points.

I currently have 50 points, which is; all men’s soccer games, all football games except 1, and 1 women’s soccer game.

With 50 Points, I am in top 6.3% of all students who have accumulated any Roowards points.

1.4% of students have received 100 points or more, while 0.12% have received more than 200 points.

With the fact that only 6.3% of roowards students (or about 1.6% of the Undergraduate student population) have 50 roowards points or more, do you think that it has made any difference at all? I think that this small number of students would be in the bleachers with or without being “roowarded.”

I think it probably will gain traction when the prizes begin to be distributed. At the very least it gives the Athletic Department valuable student attendance information. It also lays the ground work for better targeted marketing efforts. Wait and see if after basketball season point totals jump.

We're not even a third of the way through the athletic year. There's still winter and spring sports to go. It's far too early to call anything a success or failure at this point.

I can say with certainty that it is helping student attendance in the lesser-known sports, which is what it was intended to do.

I agree... basketball will be a good indicator of how well the system is working. Since the season starts later into the school year, it should give students points already to get "roowarded". Once word starts spreading about how people are getting those things, it should start to take hold.

Again, this is only the first 10 weeks of the program. Id give it AT LEAST 2 years before making any decision on whether to ditch it or not, and AT LEAST a year before saying that it's working.

Random little factoid about Roowards: the AK-Rowdies presented this idea to the Athletics Dept this summer. Athletics told them "they'd think about it but not right now". 2 weeks later Athletics came out with the Roowards program. YouTubeTom at his finest.