Bandwidth exceeded

Indeed it was.

For years, we've been grandfathered on an old hosting package that provided 25GB of monthly bandwidth. We've never exceeded it. Until now.

Sometime about 3:30 or 4PM yesterday, we went over for the first time. I checked the logs and it appears we had close calls in August and September.

We're now upgraded to a 100GB monthly transfer limit.

If there's one thing the Zips don't have, it's an apathetic fan base. I think that's a good sign for the Zips and the Nation.

Go Zips!

Indeed it was.

For years, we've been grandfathered on an old hosting package that provided 25GB of monthly bandwidth. We've never exceeded it. Until now.

Sometime about 3:30 or 4PM yesterday, we went over for the first time. I checked the logs and it appears we had close calls in August and September.

We're now upgraded to a 100GB monthly transfer limit.

If there's one thing the Zips don't have, it's an apathetic fan base. I think that's a good sign for the Zips and the Nation.

Go Zips!

I appreciate the explanation! Thanks for the resources you, and all of the mods, put into this site :bow:

Congrats on being an great site! I honestly was thinking that something huge went down and everyone was on at the same time :rock: Just bandwith sent the site down. It goes to show everyone that there are fans!

I dunno who your host is, but I'm not a fan of hosts who shut you down without notice.

In 2004, I had a community (with other features I custom made in PHP/MySQL) that was getting a million hits per day.

The stated bandwidth restriction then was 35Gb/mo, and I was regularly going over that. This with $9/month hosting.

After a month where we more than doubled the traffic limits, they actually called me and asked me whether I'd like to make other arrangements. They didn't shut me down. They called me.

Perhaps from a business standpoint, they didn't have to be so lenient, but I think it's genius. To this day I would go back to them whenever I needed basic hosting.

"Bandwidth Exceeded" errors? Really? :nutkick:

BTW, you may want to check that your robots.txt is keeping the crawlers out of the image galleries.

You can never have too many people thanking you for what you have created. Add my thanks to the others who have applauded the efforts of all who created and manage ZNO. With all due sincerity, this is my favorite place to be. :bow:

• 2 weeks later...
Just had an idea to save on quite a bit of bandwidth. Require visitors to be logged in to view the forums and image galleries. Saves on bandwidth while encouraging lurkers to register and possibly contribute something.

You want guests to be able to read most topics, and if you want some degree of SEO content in the search engines, you need to let guests view topics. Page-loads of forums isn't much of a bandwidth killer. Galleries on the other hand, can be a problem. Visitors probably don't spend a lot of time in your galleries, but the crawlers could.