The incredible shrinking roster

ZachTheZip

Too bad about Anthony. I thought he had talent and could have contributed after his redshirt and Freshman years. I still see few positives under Ianello. Trouble is it looks like the recruits he brought in this past signing period feel the same way. It was a decidedly unexciting class. If we are relying on his coaching to improve their performance, I can only say one thing, 1-11.

Go Zips roundballers :champs::screwks:

For the most part the players can not stand iCoach - so much so that they are willing to forgo scholarships to go somewhere else. As I have been saying all along, education is the most important thing for these kids and being miserable participating in Akron football will not help their mental attitude in the classroom. I heard Shrock may be going to D2 Ashland. What has to happen for everyone to realize that these kids are not responding to iCoaches methods???

iCoach is a recruiter though. He needs lots and lots of time. We will see. (Rolls eyes.)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We lost one to IUPUI (didn't know they had football?!?!) and to Dayton..who is in the Pioneer League..a league which appears to be in some sort of "I-AA/FCS/Division III limbo". All I know about that league is Butler won some sort of championship in 2009 but it wasn't in the playoffs.

Yeah, I get the numbers thing. Definitely can take a couple years to get that right, and even some of the top programs take 3-5 walkons and give them scholarships if they earn it. So we might be around 77 or so scholarship players come Fall 2011.

My feeling is if his OWN recruits start jumping ship after this year in MASS numbers (and we only win 2-3 games), then I will be a lot more concerned about running out of "scholarshipped bodies".

Why do you have to talk that way about other programs? Is it because Akron is the worst team in the worst conference in D1 so it makes you feel better? It's a fact that iCoach is driving away players in maas (he even drove away the "Rudy" award winner) - the fact that they won't see the field is not the issue, the issue is why are all these kids leaving. For every kid that leaves, there is probably at least one other kid that wants to leave but can't since they are on scholarship. The kids that left are thinking they can either stay with a program they hate and possibly see their grades suffer, or transfer to a quality school and still play the game they love. Remember, the main reason for going to college is to learn, not play football. The focus should be on education first, not athletics. So when your attitude about the athletics effect your performance in the classsroom, it is time to move on. For over 99% of these players, this will be the last football they play.

Wow...don't get your panties all in a bunch there, killer.

The fact is, these kids are transferring to lower divisions. Whatever your feelings about the MAC, if they were so good they could still go to Youngstown State, Delaware, Montana, etc.

My guess is either THEY realized, the coaches realized or a combination of their and the coaches realization was this= you are not good enough to play FBS football..even in the MAC!!!

Believe it or not, some kids choose a school not because they play D1 football but because of other factors - outrageous I know - but it happens. For you to say these kids aren't good enough to play FBS football just shows your ignorance - but we knew that by reading the first line of your reply. I wish more kids would consider more than just football when deciding where to go. They probably have parents like you telling them - "Hey, Akron is D1 football - you have to go there instead of that other school that you like so much". Some kids just want to play football in college and have a better chance contributing for a longer period of time at a level lower even though they are capable of playing at a higher level. Furthermore, the majority of a teams roster is made up of players that will not see significant playing time - you still need these players to contribute in practice. Seems like the kids aren't buying into what iCoach is trying to sell them. I guarantee you Akron will again not have enough players for a traditional spring scrimmage and we will see another offense vs defense scrimmage. I will be curious to see how many will be on the spring roster.

I said that is my GUESS that they came to that realization. I am just looking at what I see. Not speaking in definites here.

I'm not about to get in a pissing match with you about this. Kids leave colleges every year for many different reasons. Fair enough. But, as an example, Tate Forcier left Michigan and is going to...Miami (and not the one in the MAC). And, guess what= he looked like an FBS QB last year. So he is probably in the division he belongs. 2 of the players mentioned are going to schools that play, arguably, a much lower level of football than Akron does. Great...if they are more comfortable there...more power to them. Do they get scholarships to play there? Hmm...I am not 100% certain, but I am pretty sure Pioneer schools do not offer scholarships. If this is better for them, their families, etc...great.

Sorry, but I am not about to bust on Ianallo and the coaching staff just yet. As someone mentioned in this thread or another, there were many that lambasted Auburn for grabbing Chizik a couple years ago. And, "closer to home", we had Miami (OH) with Haywood at 1-11 go on to win the MAC. He, of course, then went on to do some bad things...but that really doesn't matter does it? Or, maybe it does.

Ianello might win 7 games at Auburn just because he can recruit talent there. Doesn't make him a good coach or may be it does.

How many quotes can be contained in a single post? It's like a literary Turducken.

Whats the record?

Too bad about Anthony. I thought he had talent and could have contributed after his redshirt and Freshman years. I still see few positives under Ianello. Trouble is it looks like the recruits he brought in this past signing period feel the same way. It was a decidedly unexciting class. If we are relying on his coaching to improve their performance, I can only say one thing, 1-11.

Go Zips roundballers :champs::screwks:

For the most part the players can not stand iCoach - so much so that they are willing to forgo scholarships to go somewhere else. As I have been saying all along, education is the most important thing for these kids and being miserable participating in Akron football will not help their mental attitude in the classroom. I heard Shrock may be going to D2 Ashland. What has to happen for everyone to realize that these kids are not responding to iCoaches methods???

The sooner he is out the better. Every year will just set us back further. When the players don't respect the coach, the program has no future. At least we have Men's Ball, Women's BBall, Tennis, Track, Men's and Women's soccer to take pride in and follow. Forgot rifle too.

The sooner he is out the better. Every year will just set us back further. When the players don't respect the coach, the program has no future. At least we have Men's Ball, Women's BBall, Tennis, Track, Men's and Women's soccer to take pride in and follow. Forgot rifle too.

"A coach is someone who can give correction without causing resentment." - John Wooden

I'm conflicted about him leaving sooner rather than later. Hopefully he will leave sooner because he wins a lot. If the opposite happens, it will be years more of misery.

"A coach is someone who can give correction without causing resentment." - John Wooden

I'm conflicted about him leaving sooner rather than later. Hopefully he will leave sooner because he wins a lot. If the opposite happens, it will be years more of misery.

GP1, your wisdom and insight continue to impress me. I'm taking this quote to work!!!

GP1, your wisdom and insight continue to impress me. I'm taking this quote to work!!!

GP1, do you have two accounts on this board?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Losses from 2010 to 2011 roster:

So. LB Clay Cameron

So. QB Adam Charles

So. CB Randy Greenwood

So. TE Richard Hall

So. FB James Heiss

So. PK John Long

So. LB Nolan Plate

So. WR Anthony Schrock

So. LB Darius Washington

Jr. DT Ryan Cohen

Jr. DE Nathan Cope

Jr. LS Adam Steiner

Jr. CB Nate Vidmar

Sr. WR Curtis Brown

Sr. RB Dale Martin

Sr. WR Gary Pride

Sr. QB Matt Rodgers

Sr. DT Cowles Stewart

There you have it. We already knew most of these. A few are big hits (Hall, Schrock, Greenwood, Pride).

So. LB Clay Cameron

So. QB Adam Charles

So. CB Randy Greenwood

So. TE Richard Hall

So. FB James Heiss

So. PK John Long

So. LB Nolan Plate

So. WR Anthony Schrock

So. LB Darius Washington

Jr. DT Ryan Cohen

Jr. DE Nathan Cope

Jr. LS Adam Steiner

Jr. CB Nate Vidmar

Sr. WR Curtis Brown

Sr. RB Dale Martin

Sr. WR Gary Pride

Sr. QB Matt Rodgers

Sr. DT Cowles Stewart

There you have it. We already knew most of these. A few are big hits (Hall, Schrock, Greenwood, Pride).

If Steiner is indeed gone, I'm curious who will do the long-snapping. I enjoyed watching him snap the ball and hustle downfield to make a play.

So. LB Clay Cameron

So. QB Adam Charles

So. CB Randy Greenwood

So. TE Richard Hall

So. FB James Heiss

So. PK John Long

So. LB Nolan Plate

So. WR Anthony Schrock

So. LB Darius Washington

Jr. DT Ryan Cohen

Jr. DE Nathan Cope

Jr. LS Adam Steiner

Jr. CB Nate Vidmar

Sr. WR Curtis Brown

Sr. RB Dale Martin

Sr. WR Gary Pride

Sr. QB Matt Rodgers

Sr. DT Cowles Stewart

If Steiner is indeed gone, I'm curious who will do the long-snapping. I enjoyed watching him snap the ball and hustle downfield to make a play.

Schrock, Hall and Greenwood all hurt. They were highly rated guys in positiion of need. That is if they keep Hall at DE.

Some of the others were walkons, injured or guys that weren't going to contribute anyway.

So. LB Clay Cameron

So. QB Adam Charles

So. CB Randy Greenwood

So. TE Richard Hall

So. FB James Heiss

So. PK John Long

So. LB Nolan Plate

So. WR Anthony Schrock

So. LB Darius Washington

Jr. DT Ryan Cohen

Jr. DE Nathan Cope

Jr. LS Adam Steiner

Jr. CB Nate Vidmar

Sr. WR Curtis Brown

Sr. RB Dale Martin

Sr. WR Gary Pride

Sr. QB Matt Rodgers

Sr. DT Cowles Stewart

I made a mistake there. Steiner is still on the roster.

Still, I don't know how much I trust the online roster anyway. It's probably best to wait until the open practice next saturday and see for ourselves who is there and who isn't.

Any word on where some of these guys ended up going??

Pardon my lack of knowledge, but what happened to Dale Martin? Can we add him to the Cap'n's list of Great Zips who never were? :P

He and Ryan Bain need to wait the requisite 2 seasons before enshrinement.

BTW -- Guest MC at this year's Great Zips That Never Were HOF Ceremony is Thomas Plummer.

Any word on where some of these guys ended up going??

Pardon my lack of knowledge, but what happened to Dale Martin? Can we add him to the Cap'n's list of Great Zips who never were? :P

He and Ryan Bain need to wait the requisite 2 seasons before enshrinement.

BTW -- Guest MC at this year's Great Zips That Never Were HOF Ceremony is Thomas Plummer.

That is funny. I lived with Geoff Beascheane for 2 years and I remember how great he said Plummer was going to be!!

• 2 weeks later...