15 Questions for Coach Ianello

zipboy

Good win yesterday, here is what I would ask Rob in his season wrap up press conference.

1. Coach, you have been in this role for about a year now. Looking back and self assessing what if anything would you have done differently or what did you change throughout the year which was a positive?

2. The team played better in the 2nd half of the year, was competitive and gave great effort when they could have folded. That is a testament to the staff and players. You have consistently praised Mike Thomas and Alex Allen for their leadership. Who are the leaders of the team now? Are you comfortable that enough key people are ready to assume leadership roles?

3. Over 90% of the carries went to Alex Allen and Nate Burney. With their graduation, the only players on the roster with any significant carries are Broderick Alexander and Dale Martin. How is Broderick healing? What does Martin have to do to see the field?

4. 2 of your key recruits who played fairly well, Antoine Russell and Richard Hall were suspended the last couple of weeks. Are they still part of the program?

5. As a follow up, more than several players left the program or were asked to leave throughout the year. Do you expect more attrition in the offseason? Has everyone else bought in to your philosophy?

6. Are you planning to recruit at the JUCO level? If so, heavily or just a couple of guys?

7. The top 2 playmakers, LaFRance and Carter are graduating. Is there anyone currently in the program ready to step up into a playmaker role? Who are you high on?

8. Assessing the program, where do you still see holes that need to be corrected? What is your plan to correct them?

9. While many areas could be improved, the QB always gets the most scrutiny. How did Patrick do this year? Has he done enough the be the starter? Will there be open competition in spring ball?

10. Are there any injuries that will hold guys out of active conditioning come the 1st of the year?

11. Were you pleased with your assistants? Barring any leaving of their own accord, do you forsee any changes in the offseason?

12. I may have missed this but did not see Doug Richardson walk the field yesterday with the seniors. Is he coming back next year? Further, is there anyone else listed as a senior who has gained another year of eligibility?

13. Your numbers are low and if I understand correctly, we can only sign 25 guys per year. That will take several years to get to the full allotment of 85 scholarship players. Is there anyway around this?

14. Will there be any scheme changes?

15. Finally, everyone on this board cares deeply about the Zips and wants the program and you to succeed. It's been almost 25 years since moving to Div 1 and we are still waiting for sustained success. You mentioned several times that progess is being made, progress that can't be seen and eventually it will be seen on the field in wins. How close are we to seeing it? I know this is one you probably can't answer. On the outside looking in, I don't see how you can have this much turnover and get competitive in a year or two unless you get a couple studs and some luck. Tell me that I am wrong.

Best of luck Coach in offseason recruiting.

Good win yesterday, here is what I would ask Rob in his season wrap up press conference.

1. Coach, you have been in this role for about a year now. Looking back and self assessing what if anything would you have done differently or what did you change throughout the year which was a positive?

2. The team played better in the 2nd half of the year, was competitive and gave great effort when they could have folded. That is a testament to the staff and players. You have consistently praised Mike Thomas and Alex Allen for their leadership. Who are the leaders of the team now? Are you comfortable that enough key people are ready to assume leadership roles?

3. Over 90% of the carries went to Alex Allen and Nate Burney. With their graduation, the only players on the roster with any significant carries are Broderick Alexander and Dale Martin. How is Broderick healing? What does Martin have to do to see the field?

4. 2 of your key recruits who played fairly well, Antoine Russell and Richard Hall were suspended the last couple of weeks. Are they still part of the program?

5. As a follow up, more than several players left the program or were asked to leave throughout the year. Do you expect more attrition in the offseason? Has everyone else bought in to your philosophy?

6. Are you planning to recruit at the JUCO level? If so, heavily or just a couple of guys?

7. The top 2 playmakers, LaFRance and Carter are graduating. Is there anyone currently in the program ready to step up into a playmaker role? Who are you high on?

8. Assessing the program, where do you still see holes that need to be corrected? What is your plan to correct them?

9. While many areas could be improved, the QB always gets the most scrutiny. How did Patrick do this year? Has he done enough the be the starter? Will there be open competition in spring ball?

10. Are there any injuries that will hold guys out of active conditioning come the 1st of the year?

11. Were you pleased with your assistants? Barring any leaving of their own accord, do you forsee any changes in the offseason?

12. I may have missed this but did not see Doug Richardson walk the field yesterday with the seniors. Is he coming back next year? Further, is there anyone else listed as a senior who has gained another year of eligibility?

13. Your numbers are low and if I understand correctly, we can only sign 25 guys per year. That will take several years to get to the full allotment of 85 scholarship players. Is there anyway around this?

14. Will there be any scheme changes?

15. Finally, everyone on this board cares deeply about the Zips and wants the program and you to succeed. It's been almost 25 years since moving to Div 1 and we are still waiting for sustained success. You mentioned several times that progess is being made, progress that can't be seen and eventually it will be seen on the field in wins. How close are we to seeing it? I know this is one you probably can't answer. On the outside looking in, I don't see how you can have this much turnover and get competitive in a year or two unless you get a couple studs and some luck. Tell me that I am wrong.

Best of luck Coach in offseason recruiting.

Based on past performance, I wouldn't expect much in the way of answers to any questions. :nutkick:

16) What did you mean when you told the AK-Rowdies President that "You are not impressed" with the Rowdies?

That question should have been the immediate response by the AK-Rowdies President, not asked later in a press conference.

Are you telling us the AK-Rowdies are unable or unwilling to open direct lines of communication to address this subject?

16) What did you mean when you told the AK-Rowdies President that "You are not impressed" with the Rowdies?

:( This is a HUGE problem for us.... i know its been said before. Although its just one of many, of the THIS is one of the HUGE reasons students (future Alumni) aren't supporting the program ;)

iCoach could take lessons and maybe start with pizza's :bow:

:bow: Coach Porter continues to show how AWESOME he is. :bow:

In this message to fans, Caleb says that he has bought 500 tickets to Sunday's game vs IU that he is giving out on campus to students.

:( This is a HUGE problem for us.... i know its been said before. Although its just one of many, of the THIS is one of the HUGE reasons students (future Alumni) aren't supporting the program ;)

iCoach could take lessons and maybe start with pizza's

iCoach needs to understand that respect is a 2-way street that begins with him. He needs to start the process by giving alumni, students, and fans reason to respect him/his program. He could have used yesterday's win as a start by commenting that he hoped it was a start of more to come next season and that he would be dedicating the off-season to hard work on the recruiting trail and evaluation of things that went right and wrong. But, no, his immediate post-game comments were lame, telling the STO sideline reporter that she wasn't a good omen for the Zips and other sorry comments. I'm sorry, but I can't remember any coach being more aloof than iCoach.

I heard this comment as it was spoken. At the time of the remark Ian (sp?) was behind me, Jodi Kest

was to my left and Keith Dambrot was across the table from me. iCoach was standing behind KD

when he uttered that blunt, painful remark. The three of us were aghast to say the least. Ian handled

the remark with a great deal of class and dignity. It was a "teachable moment" if only iCoach were

aware of his faux pau.

We are not cretins, country bumpkins, rubes or what have you. Akronites and the Zips are as educated

and urbane as any one in South Bent (intentional). Get it icoach? Sigh, probably not.

The football players that stuck it out for the entire year did themselves proud in the end. The mountain

of adversity was more iCoach made than any other factor. Perhaps he a) resigns, or b ) grows up and

becomes a part of this community and develops into one outstanding football coach. At this time,

option "A" is preferred.

Nice questions Zipboy. I like #11 best, I wouldn't have thought of that, but that's a great question.

Nice thing about it is we will get our answer within the coming months. At times this season I questioned

the offensive line and wr coach and questioned a lack of having a specific secondary coach. I would like

to see some change somewhere.

I heard this comment as it was spoken. At the time of the remark Ian (sp?) was behind me, Jodi Kest

was to my left and Keith Dambrot was across the table from me. iCoach was standing behind KD

when he uttered that blunt, painful remark.

It was a stupid thing to say. There is a bigger point here though.

I always say that if there is a landmine out there, TW will step on it. It looks as if the one person in the Athletic Department most closely connected to TW has the same ability to step on landmines.

I'll say this again as well. It has been one misstep after another since TW became AD. He's just not up for the job. It is painfully obvious that CoachI is not up for the job as well. Interesting these two are connected so closely.

A good thread would be to predict what circumstances will explode the next landmine and what will TW do to blow it up.

when he uttered that blunt, painful remark. The three of us were aghast to say the least. Ian handled

the remark with a great deal of class and dignity. It was a "teachable moment" if only iCoach were

aware of his faux pau.

We are not cretins, country bumpkins, rubes or what have you. Akronites and the Zips are as educated

and urbane as any one in South Bent (intentional). Get it icoach? Sigh, probably not.

The football players that stuck it out for the entire year did themselves proud in the end. The mountain

of adversity was more iCoach made than any other factor. Perhaps he a) resigns, or b ) grows up and

becomes a part of this community and develops into one outstanding football coach. At this time,

option "A" is preferred.

So no one has the slightest idea why this comment was made, and no one has made an effort to find out? The comment was just made out of the blue with no circumstances to help explain it? Everyone just accepts the assumption that there's only one side to this story?

Look, if no one involved in this is incident is willing to make an effort to try to eliminate any misunderstandings and resolve the issue, I'll volunteer to get involved. I will personally contact the athletic department and tell them that if Coach Ianello dissed the Rowdies for no reason and is unwilling to make peace with the Rowdies, I'm not going to renew my season ticket to Zips football games as long as he's coach and will become a card carrying member of the I Hate Ianello movement.

If by the middle of the week the Rowdies have not posted here that they are making some kind of constructive effort to try to resolve this issue, I'm going to jump into the middle of it and do my best to learn the full circumstances and what could be done to resolve it.

That question should have been the immediate response by the AK-Rowdies President, not asked later in a press conference.

Are you telling us the AK-Rowdies are unable or unwilling to open direct lines of communication to address this subject?

You act like iCoach is going to be around long enough to care as he is either going to get fired or be gone to another gig in 3 years. No one truly understands the damage this guy is going to do and has already done.

I'll say this again as well. It has been one misstep after another since TW became AD.

Care to elaborate?

I'd love to and feel free to add your own:

1. Reno non-issue

2. Hiring of CoachI

3. Upsetting loyal fan base prior to football season with parking policy

4. No golf outing

5. Discounting reserved seats is a landmine in my book

These are just some of my problems. There are others, but I think these are pretty big missteps for a guy who has had the job for only one year.

I'll say this again as well. It has been one misstep after another since TW became AD.

Care to elaborate?

I'd love to and feel free to add your own:

1. Reno non-issue

2. Hiring of CoachI

3. Upsetting loyal fan base prior to football season with parking policy

4. No golf outing

5. Discounting reserved seats is a landmine in my book

These are just some of my problems. There are others, but I think these are pretty big missteps for a guy who has had the job for only one year.

We did get a coupon for free coffee or hot chocolate at the last football game. A guy walked around to all 800 people in the stands handing them out.

We did get a coupon for free coffee or hot chocolate at the last football game. A guy walked around to all 800 people in the stands handing them out.

Yeah, right after I shelled out $6 for 2 cups for my kids. :(

Things like this are little issues though. You probably waste more money than that a week buying soda out of a machine.

It's the big things he gets wrong that scares me. What I listed are only football related issues. There are a lot of other sports where I'm sure fans have some issue with a big decision.

Yeah, right after I shelled out $6 for 2 cups for my kids. :(

Things like this are little issues though. You probably waste more money than that a week buying soda out of a machine.

It's the big things he gets wrong that scares me. What I listed are only football related issues. There are a lot of other sports where I'm sure fans have some issue with a big decision.

The guy did thank us for braving the cold. I told him that I had no idea why we were even there...then the football team screwed my misery up and won the game while I enjoyed a hot beverage :rolleyes:

So no one has the slightest idea why this comment was made, and no one has made an effort to find out? The comment was just made out of the blue with no circumstances to help explain it? Everyone just accepts the assumption that there's only one side to this story?

Look, if no one involved in this is incident is willing to make an effort to try to eliminate any misunderstandings and resolve the issue, I'll volunteer to get involved. I will personally contact the athletic department and tell them that if Coach Ianello dissed the Rowdies for no reason and is unwilling to make peace with the Rowdies, I'm not going to renew my season ticket to Zips football games as long as he's coach and will become a card carrying member of the I Hate Ianello movement.

If by the middle of the week the Rowdies have not posted here that they are making some kind of constructive effort to try to resolve this issue, I'm going to jump into the middle of it and do my best to learn the full circumstances and what could be done to resolve it.

So no one here is either able or willing to provide any more info on Ianello's remark about the Rowdies? As far as everyone knows, Ianello just made the remark out of the blue? No one has made any effort to get some kind of clarification on what might have happened to provoke the remark or what might have been done after the remark to try to resolve any misunderstandings?

As I said earlier, if Ianello has declared war on the Rowdies for no good reason, I'll cancel my season football ticket until there's a resolution to this issue or the Zips get a new head coach. But I'm not going to make any decisions until I get the full story, whether from someone on this forum or by contacting UA directly.

If anyone knows anything that they don't want to state publicly, please feel free to PM me. You can rely on me to maintain your confidentiality.