College Cup Final Game Thread

We just witnessed the greatest single game ever played by any UA team in any sport.

I thought they played better against Michigan this year, twice.

But the stakes weren't as high as they were for this one. That's what makes this one the best performance.

Given your tender age and naiveté, so as not to be a party pooper I will defer to your definition of the best performance ever (however, I always considered the 4-0 win over Michigan State during the 1968 regular season to be pretty special also). Congratulations Zips.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We just witnessed the greatest single game ever played by any UA team in any sport.

Exactly what I was thinking. This is the high point in Akron athletics history. I could not be more proud of Coach Porter and these players.

These guys deserve one heck of a homecoming.

Amen! Get started, Tom! When and where is the party?

And where/when is the banner going up?

You just can't get any better than beating the #1 team in the country in the national championship game. The Zips obviously did not appear to be as dominant as in other games because Louisville was so darned good.

That's what makes this the greatest single game ever played by any UA team in any sport.

Exactly what I was thinking. This is the high point in Akron athletics history. I could not be more proud of Coach Porter and these players.

These guys deserve one heck of a homecoming.

Amen! Get started, Tom! When and where is the party?

I think the first one is right now in Santa Barbara...be safe, Rowdies !

WOW, that was amazing. We were so lucky at the end. The entire match I was wondering how we would lose this (NE Ohio curse). I don't know how, but we pulled it out. A little payback from years of frustration???? I'm far from a soccer fan but this is awesome! Great job! I hesitate to say anyone deserves anything, but I think the Zips deserved this one!

You just can't get any better than beating the #1 team in the country in the national championship game. The Zips obviously did not appear to be as dominant as in other games because Louisville was so darned good.

That's what makes this the greatest single game ever played by any UA team in any sport.

Through a very tough bracket as well. Simply amazing! Way to go, guys. :bow:

PARTY ALL NIGHT!

I'M GOING TO SHOUT THROUGH THIS WHOLE POST...

I HEAR THE ZIPS GET BACK FROM 6-7 AM....BIG GROUP OF US ARE GOING TO MEET THEM ON VINE STREET WHEN THEY GET BACK. JOIN IN, LETS FIGURE OUT FOR SURE WHEN IT IS AND BE READY TO THROW THAT GOAL IN THE CANAL!!!!!!!!

Keep us informed, and btw :NCAAC::NCAAC::NCAAC::NCAAC::NCAAC:

PARTY ALL NIGHT!

I HEAR THE ZIPS GET BACK FROM 6-7 AM....BIG GROUP OF US ARE GOING TO MEET THEM ON VINE STREET WHEN THEY GET BACK. JOIN IN, LETS FIGURE OUT FOR SURE WHEN IT IS AND BE READY TO THROW THAT GOAL IN THE CANAL!!!!!!!!

And I hear there's a major blizzard that's likely to delay their flight.

PARTY ALL NIGHT!

And I hear there's a major blizzard that's likely to delay their flight.

More time to party!

Our center backs were huge this game. both Barson and Valentin were spot on, terrific passes out of the back. I have watched the final 3 mins of the game 5 times already!! Play of the game, goal line save by BARSON with basically no time left. Barson all caps because he never gets any love, even the commentator cant get it right. Players of the game in my opinion: Meves, Valentin, BARSON, Caldwell!!! What a past 2 years!!!!!

This one deserves more attention. Meves was flat on the ground after blocking a shot. Louisville super sub Daniel (correction) Aaron Horton got the ball right in front of the net. Barson was standing in front of the net in the goalie's normal position. Horton blasted the ball at the net, and Barson stopped it. I don't know enough about soccer to know for sure, but I'm guessing that Barson, not being a goalie, could not use his hands to grab the ball like a goalie could. He had to block it with his legs, and he did. Hopefully one of the soccer experts here can explain the significance of this better than I can. I just know when I saw it happen that I thought it was the defensive play of the game. It also almost caused me an injury as I leaped out of my chair.

Our center backs were huge this game. both Barson and Valentin were spot on, terrific passes out of the back. I have watched the final 3 mins of the game 5 times already!! Play of the game, goal line save by BARSON with basically no time left. Barson all caps because he never gets any love, even the commentator cant get it right. Players of the game in my opinion: Meves, Valentin, BARSON, Caldwell!!! What a past 2 years!!!!!

This one deserves more attention. Meves was flat on the ground after blocking a shot. Louisville super sub Daniel Horton got the ball right in front of the net. Barson was standing in front of the net in the goalie's normal position. Horton blasted the ball at the net, and Barson stopped it. I don't know enough about soccer to know for sure, but I'm guessing that Barson, not being a goalie, could not use his hands to grab the ball like a goalie could. He had to block it with his legs, and he did. Hopefully one of the soccer experts here can explain the significance of this better than I can. I just know when I saw it happen that I thought it was the defensive play of the game. It also almost cause me an injury as I leaped out of my chair.

Yep Barson could not use his hands. What a stop, your right, Play of the game! I looked up some info on Barson and Horton. They went to high school together, played club soccer with each other since they were 6 years old, and were in Bradenton together with the National team. This is second hand info from chatting with people at the game! My heat is still beating fast!

1946-2010. Incredibly, the championship drought for the MAC goes even farther back than the one for NE Ohio.

Actually, not too big a difference. Akron is just the second Mid-American Conference athletic program to win a championship. Western Michigan, which joined the league in 1947, won NCAA men’s cross country titles in 1964 and 1965.

http://www.ncaa.com/sports/m-soccer/recaps/121210aaa.html

I cant top what you all have already said here!! Just an awesome experience at Barley House. Hats off to them for doing a heck of a job for UA! All tvs , all audio akron soccer on a football sunday. All waitresses/bar people in zips tees. I believe the Zips return on Continental to CLE at 647 am Monday ( weather permitting) so the campus arrival will be more like 8-9am. NCAA AKRON ALL THE WAY!!! :NCAAC::NCAAC::NCAAC::NCAAC:

Oops:

Louisville, making its first appearance in the College Cup, finishes 21-0-3.

1946-2010. Incredibly, the championship drought for the MAC goes even farther back than the one for NE Ohio.

Actually, not too big a difference. Akron is just the second Mid-American Conference athletic program to win a championship. Western Michigan, which joined the league in 1947, won NCAA men’s cross country titles in 1964 and 1965.

http://www.ncaa.com/sports/m-soccer/recaps/121210aaa.html