LeBron James tweets congratulations to national soccer champion Akron

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys will find anybody to complain about, won't you?

We just got a shout-out from a guy with almost 1.2 million followers. I'm willing to bet more people heard about our championship through his tweet than actually watched the game on TV.

This is NOT a bad thing. Stop complaining and keep celebrating!

This smiley can not possibly get enough use. :NCAAC:

cleveland has a basketball team? even if they did, no one in Akron cares. I know AKRON HAS A SOCCER TEAM! AND THEY ARE AMAZING! GO AKRON! :NCAAC:

You are certainly in the minority there.

1) LeBron is NOT honorary alumi

2) Akron Zips was trending on Twitter BEFORE LeBron's tweet...it's not like we were lacking national attention

3) LeBron doesn't give a shit about Akron...don't be fooled

cleveland has a basketball team? even if they did, no one in Akron cares. I know AKRON HAS A SOCCER TEAM! AND THEY ARE AMAZING! GO AKRON! :NCAAC:

2) Akron Zips was trending on Twitter BEFORE LeBron's tweet...it's not like we were lacking national attention

Of course you're right. The stories about his participation in bike-a-thon AFTER he signed with Miami, and that story about the hundreds of turkeys he gave to Akron families on Thanksgiving MUST HAVE just been a hoax. :rolleyes:

cleveland has a basketball team still? even if they did, no one in Akron cares. But I do know AKRON HAS A SOCCER TEAM! AND THEY ARE AMAZING! GO AKRON! :NCAAC: LETS KEEP CELEBRATING AKRON'S CHAMPIONS! LEBRON IS AN AKRONITE SO JUST QUIT WITH THE SOUR GRAPES. LETS JUST CELEBRATE AKRON SOCCER! THEY DESERVE IT! :NCAAC::NCAAC:

Wait, Cleveland has a basketball team?! :rofl:

Amen, brother. AKRON is his hometown and he's proud to be an Akronite! (Even if some Akronites aren't.)

Has there ever been a professional athlete that is more loyal to his hometown than 'Bron? Honestly. And if so, who? And what are the odds the greatest basketball player on the planet, an athlete ESPN bows down to on an almost daily basis, name drops AKRON every chance he gets?! The stars had to perfectly align for that one.

Btw, I'm as big a Zips fan as anyone, but I always called it Akron U growing up. Playing backyard ball, we'd count 1-Akron U, 2-Akron U, 3-Akron U before we could rush the QB. I've never been offended by it.

But anyway, thanks for the shout out LeBron & for your loyalty to your hometown despite some doubters and haters who think Cleveland has something to do with Akron.

Akron loves you clap, clap, clap, clap, clap.

Representing 330.

LeBron put out a tweet about something positive that UA did. That's really cool. I'm celebrating something our school achieved, something to be dead proud of, and you're whining about the fact that cleveland used to have a basketball team? Take your sour grapes somewhere else my friend. I'm celebrating AKRON SOCCER! LeBron is celebrating too, and I think that is expletive great.

Oh, and I'm not in the minority, Akronites support one another, we have a really great community here, it's that kind of "at home" feeling that you don't find in many urban areas, and I love Akron because it is a place that is tolerant and accepting of all people. And rooting for our own with that kind of unabashed mid-western pride that you can't find anywhere else is a very unique and rare thing. It's unfortunate that cleveland's sour grapes about the cavaliers last chance at a national championship are getting in the way of some when Akron's Men's Soccer just brought a National Championship home. If you want to go worship Danny 'Subprime' Gilbert' somewhere else, be my guest. AKRON SOCCER RULES, AKRON SOCCER IS KING!

I'm glad LeBron put a tweet out about it, our soccer team is F***ing AWESOME! If you have sour grapes about LeBron's former basketball team, please email them to Danny subrpime gilbert, UAZip0510. Akron soccer probably doesn't care that you're mad danny gilbert's team can't win anymore without LeBron James. I'm done with this. GO ZIPS! GO ZIPS SOCCER!

In the spirit of this post UAZip0510, let's just celebrate something amazing that our team did and leave it at that. Lets just support Akron! Hail Akron! I love my city and the people of my city! And with that, I'm extending an olive branch here.. to any and all, lets just keep supporting all of this as best we can.

Playing backyard ball, we'd count 1-Akron U, 2-Akron U, 3-Akron U before we could rush the QB. I've never been offended by it.

That's really cool.

Not being from the area, I used to hate when locals would say "Akron U". But the more I hear it, the more I like it. It's ingrained into the local culture. That isn't a bad thing.

You've got to admit that, even though technically incorrect, Akron U is more natural sounding that U of Akron, not to mention easier to type on a tiny cell phone keyboard.

Sometimes it pays to embrace a twisted but cool-sounding nickname that won't go away instead of fighting the inevitable.

Says who?

And Dave from Michigan sounded better too!!

It's never been AU and just because morons call it that doesn't make it right. Show some school pride and respect and call my university by it's proper name.

You've got to admit that, even though technically incorrect, Akron U is more natural sounding that U of Akron, not to mention easier to type on a tiny cell phone keyboard.

Sometimes it pays to embrace a twisted but cool-sounding nickname that won't go away instead of fighting the inevitable.

Says who?

It's never been AU and just because morons call it that doesn't make it right. Show some school pride and respect and call my university by it's proper name.

Akron U sounds so small time and community college. UA is the way to say it. Sounds better than all the others!

Says who?

Akron U sounds so small time and community college. UA is the way to say it. Sounds better than all the others!

Or just Akron.

There are many Universities that have the University of .... and they just go by the name.

Florida, Michigan, Pittsburgh, Wisconsin, California, the list is long and endless.