LeBron James tweets congratulations to national soccer champion Akron

You've got to admit that, even though technically incorrect, Akron U is more natural sounding that U of Akron, not to mention easier to type on a tiny cell phone keyboard.

Sometimes it pays to embrace a twisted but cool-sounding nickname that won't go away instead of fighting the inevitable.

Says who?

And Dave from Michigan sounded better too!!

It's never been AU and just because morons call it that doesn't make it right. Show some school pride and respect and call my university by it's proper name.

Akron U sounds so small time and community college. UA is the way to say it. Sounds better than all the others!

Or just Akron.

There are many Universities that have the University of .... and they just go by the name.

Florida, Michigan, Pittsburgh, Wisconsin, California, the list is long and endless.

Florida U, Michigan U, Pittsburgh U, Wisconsin U, Cali U, ....all sound weak sauce.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Similar to my
I'd root for Hamas if they were playing Can't State
motto, the
I'd be happy if the Devil (or LeBron) talked up a deserving soccer team like ours
is in effect here.

So i'll let LeQuitter slide one time for his props to the U. Even if he's an idiot for calling it "Akron U".

LeBron learned from his high school coach.

KD refers to the University as "Akron U" all the time. Many University officials do it. I know I saw a video at the JAR recently where a player (Kara Murphy?) referred to "Akron U."

We should begin a thread where we post every time a player or administrator uses the "Akron U" reference, in an interview, newspaper column, etc, and see how long the thread becomes.

This was played on WTAM....but the video version is certifiably GOLD.

post-5727-1292290220_thumb.jpg

That youtube thing is lame, IMO. Makes me glad I turned off WTAM 10 years ago. This is well done IMO. It's specifically made for GP1 I think. Try to get to Tony Dungy.

Good for LBJ for giving props to the soccer team. Somebody from the U should send him some championship gear.

I guess we can put Akron U into the same category as LeBron, Cleveland and other subjects that will always drive some folks up the wall and won't bother others in the least.

Imagine if all the energy used in hashing and rehashing these subjects could be redirected into something productive.

Who do you think you are Dave in Green?

We must stay negative. We must make untrue broad generalizations like Akron hates the Cavs. We must take every opportunity to rip on things we hate instead of simply enjoying the moment.

(sarcasm alert)

I guess we can put Akron U into the same category as LeBron, Cleveland and other subjects that will always drive some folks up the wall and won't bother others in the least.

Imagine if all the energy used in hashing and rehashing these subjects could be redirected into something productive.

We must stay negative. We must make untrue broad generalizations like Akron hates the Cavs. We must take every opportunity to rip on things we hate instead of simply enjoying the moment.

(sarcasm alert)

Actually, the untrue broad generalization is that Akron hates LeBron.

You've got to admit that, even though technically incorrect, Akron U is more natural sounding that U of Akron, not to mention easier to type on a tiny cell phone keyboard.

Sometimes it pays to embrace a twisted but cool-sounding nickname that won't go away instead of fighting the inevitable.

Says who?

It's never been AU and just because morons call it that doesn't make it right. Show some school pride and respect and call my university by it's proper name.

Haven't you seen the sides of the univserity maps around campus? They say " University of Akron: Gold Standard AU" Refering to the Periodic symbol for Gold which is AU. So the university itself is willing to switch it from UA to AU just to achieve the validity of calling themselves the "Gold Standard"

:NCAAC: :NCAAC: :NCAAC: :NCAAC: :NCAAC:

Says who?

Haven't you seen the sides of the univserity maps around campus? They say " University of Akron: Gold Standard AU" Refering to the Periodic symbol for Gold which is AU. So the university itself is willing to switch it from UA to AU just to achieve the validity of calling themselves the "Gold Standard"

:NCAAC: :NCAAC: :NCAAC: :NCAAC: :NCAAC:

They do, but I always considered that a stretch.

If someone was raised in an environment where "Akron U" was a derogatory name, I understand entirely how someone could be highly offended in calling their university Akron U. Much like calling it Hilltop High, I suppose. Where I grew up it wasn't a slight to call it Akron U. It was almost kind of a pet name. So I've never been offended at refering to the school as Akron U. In conversation, I occassionally find myself still refering to the school as Akron U. But I never use that term on this board; no reason to needlessly offend anyone.

Go Zips!

But I think the "Gold Standard AU" thing is pretty cool.

I've always associated "Akron U" with the same connotation as "Hilltop High". When people call it that, it tells the they don't take the university seriously and view it as just the local community college. It's too casual, and brings up images of a place where all the local high schoolers go after they graduate just to hang out and delay getting a job. It makes us sound like Can't.

If someone was raised in an environment where "Akron U" was a derogatory name, I understand entirely how someone could be highly offended in calling their university Akron U. Much like calling it Hilltop High, I suppose. Where I grew up it wasn't a slight to call it Akron U. It was almost kind of a pet name. So I've never been offended at refering to the school as Akron U. In conversation, I occassionally find myself still refering to the school as Akron U. But I never use that term on this board; no reason to needlessly offend anyone.

Go Zips!

But I think the "Gold Standard AU" thing is pretty cool.

I think this sums up my thoughts on the issue perfectly. As a local, I grew up calling it Akron U. It just flows better in conversation. For example:

"Akron U just won the national championship." vs.

"The University of Akron just won the national championship."

But I avoid it for the reason Blue & Gold mentioned above... No reason to offend anyone.

Hey, at least we're not called Buchtel College anymore. But still, the college itself has no problem with AU (which intuitively leads to Akron U) so who are we to specualte whether its appropriate or offensive. It all refers to the same institution. The University of Akron is the offical name; Akron U, U of Akron, U of A, or UA are just more casual ways to reference the University.

(sarcasm alert)

It's actually downright laughable.

It's fueled by some of the Cleveland loyalists who absolutely CAN'T STAND that LeBron talks about Akron, and that people in Akron still support him.

I was at a picnic last summer, and I overheard a group at another table bashing LeBron. Then someone said, "Can you believe those idiots in Akron cheered for him at the Bike-A-Thon?". I almost could not contain my laughter. They are enraged by this. And they are probably some of the same people who engage in highly productive activities such as yelling obscenities as they drive by his house, and tape his old jersey to the side of their car with some derogatory change in his name.

In the real world, people change employers every day. You get over it and go out and get new employees to replace them, and you move on.

(sarcasm alert)

It's actually downright laughable.

It's fueled by some of the Cleveland loyalists who absolutely CAN'T STAND that LeBron talks about Akron, and that people in Akron still support him.

I was at a picnic last summer, and I overheard a group at another table bashing LeBron. Then someone said, "Can you believe those idiots in Akron cheered for him at the Bike-A-Thon?". I almost could not contain my laughter. They are enraged by this. And they are probably some of the same people who engage in highly productive activities such as yelling obscenities as they drive by his house, and tape his old jersey to the side of their car with some derogatory change in his name.

In the real world, people change employers every day. You get over it and go out and get new employees to replace them, and you move on.

Oh brother....

OK so this isn't really off topic because this IS a LeBron thread:

I would say that a VAST majority of Akronites do not like LeBron anymore. I would even guess that about 50% hate him.

I really have yet to meet anyone who is truly from this area that supports him. I'm sure there are some, and i can understand where they are coming from still supporting him, but most people do not like the guy.

I would say that a VAST majority of Akronites do not like LeBron anymore. I would even guess that about 50% hate him.

I really have yet to meet anyone who is truly from this area that supports him. I'm sure there are some, and i can understand where they are coming from still supporting him, but most people do not like the guy.

So you haven't met any of the people he bought Thanksgiving for, or any of the kids he donated bikes to, or any of the APS faculty or students who he gave new computers to, or any Zips basketball player who he gears up? That's fine. I've met some of all of those people, and they all appreciate what he still does for the city. The hate is strong in this city, but it is temporary. We're still in the break-up stage. But like any difficult relationship, those feelings cool off. And when one side stays devoted even after making a mistake, they eventually get back together.

So you haven't met any of the people he bought Thanksgiving for, or any of the kids he donated bikes to, or any of the APS faculty or students who he gave new computers to, or any Zips basketball player who he gears up? That's fine. I've met some of all of those people, and they all appreciate what he still does for the city. The hate is strong in this city, but it is temporary. We're still in the break-up stage. But like any difficult relationship, those feelings cool off. And when one side stays devoted even after making a mistake, they eventually get back together.

To be honest i have spoken to an APS teacher. Just texted someone I know who teaches on the east side. He said he appreciates the donation and he respects LeBron for doing it. Then again he also said it's all a publicity stunt and doesn't change his views on the guy.

He did make it clear that there are others that couldn't love LeBron more though. So i guess you are right in a way, it impacted a few people.

But that's about the only way a large group of people are going to start supporting him again anytime soon. He's going to have to personally impact each one of them by throwing money or free things at them. Otherwise, he's a terrible role model and a bad example of what Akron and the metro area should be about.

So much for all the LeBron haters who proclaimed that he surely forget about Akron when he went to Miami.

The only people I know in Akron who are mad at LeBron are the ones who are die-hard Cavs fans. And I think even those people will come around again when it sinks in that he still loves Akron, and made a tough career decision, just like all the rest of us have to make from time to time.

And I think even those people will come around again when it sinks in that he still loves Akron, and made a tough career decision, just like all the rest of us have to make from time to time.

I always make my tough career decisions in front of a captive nationwide audience in primetime. And when I do I make sure I make it as hard as possible on the company I'm leaving. I might even name it something that stirs up old memories for them of heartbreaking moments....

Sure he's a terrible role model. He knows that. So are a lot of people in the with wealth and fame. But it doesn't mean they can't be recognized for doing good things for the sake of doing good, or for the love of the place they grew up. But here, it's comspiracy theories that somehow it's all a publicity stunt and he gets villified. If it was a publicity stunt, he would have showed up in person, dragging his national media followers with him, to present all those things in person. he would have pulled strings to get it mentioned on ESPN and CNN and whatever else. But he didn't. Nobody but the people of Akron knows that he did these things.

And I think even those people will come around again when it sinks in that he still loves Akron, and made a tough career decision, just like all the rest of us have to make from time to time.

I always make my tough career decisions in front of a captive nationwide audience in primetime. And when I do I make sure I make it as hard as possible on the company I'm leaving. I might even name it something that stirs up old memories for them of heartbreaking moments....

I'm picking up on your sarcasm.

And do you also always make your tough career decisions at a Boys and Girls Club, and donate the proceeds to that charity?

I am a LeBron supporter, but I thought the "event" ended up not being a good idea. But, I think you're hanging onto the end of a very long limb if you think that he planned the event with the purpose of sticking it to everyone that he could.

Just say you don't like that guy. I can believe that.

And do you also always make your tough career decisions at a Boys and Girls Club, and donate the proceeds to that charity?

I am a LeBron supporter, but I thought the "event" ended up not being a good idea. But, I think you're hanging onto the end of a very long limb if you think that he planned the event with the purpose of sticking it to everyone that he could.

I'm with you. Sure he stabbed an entire city in the back... but after he pulled out the knife he auctioned it off on ebay and gave the proceeds to charity so it's all good.

By the way, I make my career decisions privately... and the hate directed at him would be significantly lower if he had done likewise.

I don't like the guy.

Specifically for this "event" that he and his "posse" conjured up. I for one am a huge believer in the free market and being able to play where you want to play, etc. etc. I honestly can care less about the NBA in general and the Cavs in particular. However, the complete lack of class is what sealed the deal for me. I don't like Lebron James. He can tweet about the NCAA Champion Akron soccer team all he wants. I still don't like him.