LeBron James tweets congratulations to national soccer champion Akron

As a person who lived in Akron for a long time, I can say I am still a big Lebron James fan. He has been a great supporter of the city, the university, and local charities. I honestly don't really understand the intense animosity some feel toward Lebron. I don't hate anyone I don't know to an significant degree.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where was he early on during the soccer team's success? Didn't say one word about them until they won. While it was nice of him to give props, I still hate the guy. I hate the way he did The Decision. That's what has everyone upset is the way he did it. A stupid 1 hour + show on national and likely international tv. He didn't even have the guts to let the organization know. If he would have let the organization know and set out a press release or something like that, then people would likely have accepted his decision. Can we please stop this negativity towards Cleveland and the Cavs. Same for you LeBron. Not everyone who supports the Cavs is from Cleveland. People from all over Ohio and even out of state support the Cavs. I'm sure people drove from all over the state to see the Cavs, even when LeBron was here. While the NBA is not my top pro sport I'm actually a bigger Cavs fan now. I'm just sick and tired of all this negativity towards Cleveland and Ohio in general. This is a hardworking, blue collar community that deserves to have something good happen. The Zips managed to ease the pain a little bit. I'm beyond thrilled we won the national championship. We also have to face it that people want one of the pro teams to win a title. LeBron gave everyone the best chance but he couldn't do it and left. Let's be honest here. Wouldn't it have been amazing if LeBron helped lead the Cavs to a title? Right here in northeast Ohio. What good is it if he wins in Miami? That's just my opinion.

Where was he early on during the soccer team's success? Didn't say one word about them until they won.

Welcome to life as a champion. 90% of the Zips soccer fans today were not Zips soccer fans even a week ago.

Embrace the bandwagon, don't be one of those people who gets mad when other people start liking what you like. Like those people who only listen to music that they're sure nobody else has heard of in order to feel superior, only to abandon it as soon as it goes mainstream.

More Zips fans is a good thing, even if not everyone knows the name of the soccer stadium or can't list three current players' names. Let these fans in, educate them patiently, and we'll create a large, strong fanbase.

Well said, Zach.

Welcome aboard, all you newcomers! Even LeBron.

I believe that we have won.

Amazing that apparently none of the Rowdies has chimed in -- on Friday night in Santa Barbara some dope from the Michigan U student section ran past the Rowdies with a sign reading "Lebron Hates Akron". I looked around at others and we all wondered -- "What has that got to do with futbol?" In any case, I'm glad that Lebron is also proud of Akron U. I know I am proud to have been a Zips soccer fan for 45 years.

Yeah LeBron, see what happens when you don't lay down?

Maybe he realized there are people from Akron who can PASS the ball.

Have a nice life.

No... see LeBron is a professional passer. Thats how he got away with putting up decent numbers while quitting on us during the playoffs. He'd just pass it off and let someone else screw the game. :wave:

It really doesn't matter what any of us think as far as LeBron's tweet. He took a moment to recognize a great team that worked very hard to put Akron on the map. If the players appreciate it, then I'm glad he did it.

Go Zips! :NCAAC: