Penn St. QB wants to transfer

PG article on Bolden

"Penn State just wasn't the right fit for him," Robert Bolden said of his son. The elder Bolden said his son informed quarterbacks coach Jay Paterno of his decision after the Nittany Lions' 37-24 loss to Florida Saturday in the Outback Bowl. Robert said his son planned to meet with coach Joe Paterno this week to seek his official release. "[i'm] 100 percent sure," Rob Bolden is gone, his dad said. Bolden, from Orchard Lake, Mich., started the first seven games this season and eight games overall. He completed 112 of 193 passes for 1,360 yards. He had five touchdown passes and seven interceptions. Bolden suffered a concussion Oct. 23 against Minnesota and eventually lost his starting job to former walk-on Matt McGloin, who started five of the final six games. Although McGloin threw a school-record five interceptions in Penn State's 13-point loss to Florida, Bolden did not play. That cemented his decision to transfer. Earlier Sunday Paterno said that he second-guessed himself for not playing Bolden more. "If I had it to do over again, I would try to get Bolden in there a little bit," Paterno said in his last news conference of the 2010 season. "I think Bolden is a good prospect. He is probably a little discouraged."

From a certain point of view, you could call Clayton Moore a transfer to Akron from Ole Miss. He simply spent his transfer year sharpening his skills at a junior college instead of sitting out at Akron.

That's the way I see it too. That's the same thing Cam Newton did, he transferred from Florida to JC, then Auburn. Safe to say things worked out well for him. But Moore is no Newton, sadly.

The thing I was wondering about Moore, if you play in JC do you lose a year of eligibility? I assume you would. He was most likely red-shirted at Ole Miss, so how long will we have him?

Just a funny semi-unrelated story but last night I went to 22Exchange for a party and while waiting to be let in to the building i took a look through the directory. I saw "P. Nicely" and just couldn't resist ringing him up to ask him "Could you buzz me in? It's cold outside and i'm sick of waiting plus i'm you're only fan". He didn't respond after that. :unsure:

Back to the topic, JoPa says he is not releasing Bolden from his scholarship.

If Joe Paterno sticks to his decision, Rob Bolden still could enroll at another Division I-A school, but would have to pay his own expenses for at least a semester, or until his scholarship expires. He also would have to sit out the 2011 season, just as he would if Penn State releases him, before being eligible to resume playing.

20101005psu2_500.jpg

Back to the topic, JoPa says he is not releasing Bolden from his scholarship.

If Joe Paterno sticks to his decision, Rob Bolden still could enroll at another Division I-A school, but would have to pay his own expenses for at least a semester, or until his scholarship expires. He also would have to sit out the 2011 season, just as he would if Penn State releases him, before being eligible to resume playing.

20101005psu2_500.jpg

Same as former Zips QB Luke Getsy (Walt Harris wouldn't release him from Pitt).

Out of State tuition is a real hit to the pocket book. Especially after having a free ride. For that reason, I'll predict he ends up at Temple.