Creation of a Supporters' Group

Name The New Supporters Group  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

But it's not HOOligan...it's ROOligan

:)

Anyhow, I think the vote for the ROOligan option is being diluted by the three choices.

Well as of my vote, looks like there is a three way tie between Buchtel's Brigade, Parry's Army, and Exchange St. Rooligans. These are all solid names IMO.

As far as "Parry's Army" goes, I don't think as many people are familiar with who Parry is, as much as how well known John Buchtel and Exchange St. are known. Or maybe it is just me. I still like the "army" part though. Maybe "Buchtel's Army?" Sounds pretty B/A to me :D

Although I also like the alliteration in "Buchtel's Brigade." Alliteration is cool.

Now as far as "Exchange St. Rooligans" There has been talk that "a real supporters group wouldn't use the word 'hooligan' in its name." Well guess what? I don't like being compared to other groups. We don't need to model what we do after what is done in European soccer. I HATE when the university shoves the word "roo" into everything, but this is PERFECT! I say, don't worry about what other places are doing, don't try to be like them. We will do what is right for us, because guess what?

This is Akron!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate to throw out another option when we already have so many, but if anyone likes it, what about "Rubber City Rooligans?" Kind of adds another piece of Akron history to the name, and uses alliteration, which I have already stated I enjoy haha.

Just thought of this: if we go this route, maybe you could get Rubber City Clothing to be a sponsor or something? Or maybe just get shirts made there. And the O's in rooligan are tires like the shirts on their website!

One more edit: apparently the name of Crew supporters in Akron is "Rubber City Hooligans." Is this too close?

I love the idea of a supporters group! Not really keen on the Rooligans though...sounds like a cheesy Disney take on British futbol fanaticism...

Coming to theatres near you:

Disney ROOligans (in 3-D).

Starring the voices of Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus.

Fun for the whole family!

I love the idea of a supporters group! Not really keen on the Rooligans though...sounds like a cheesy Disney take on British futbol fanaticism...

Movie Trailer:

"Welcome to Lee Jackson Field, the home of the ROOligans,

A place where there are no ROOles,

An atmosphere filled with unROOly patrons,

A stadium where opponent's seasons are ROOined."

(Maybe Tim Allen can play the Firm's boss)

Hate to throw out another option when we already have so many, but if anyone likes it, what about "Rubber City Rooligans?" Kind of adds another piece of Akron history to the name, and uses alliteration, which I have already stated I enjoy haha.

Just thought of this: if we go this route, maybe you could get Rubber City Clothing to be a sponsor or something? Or maybe just get shirts made there. And the O's in rooligan are tires like the shirts on their website!

One more edit: apparently the name of Crew supporters in Akron is "Rubber City Hooligans." Is this too close?

When i first brought this idea up on facebook, someone mentioned RCRooligans but it was shot down for that exact reason.

I have a new one to throw in, what about Zipper Mob? Use the original nickname before it was shortened to Zips in the 50's and referring to a group of Kangaroos. We can march over to the Pouch in our Zipper rubber boots after a few drinks at the local bar. haha

Or maybe use the word mob for some of the other previous names like Wally B mentioned

I honestly like "The Mob".

Anyways, taking this all into consideration, tomorrow about 7 of us are going to make a decision.

Don't hate us for it!

and remember, the real important issue's are:

"What Bar" & "What Beer"

Root ... It's good to see you have your priorities straight. With this kind of critical thinking I'm sure it will be a group all can support.

Perhaps you want something more "dangerous" sounding...like "Death Squadron" or "Saw 7" or "Exchange St. Executioners."

B)

I honestly like "The Mob".

Anyways, taking this all into consideration, tomorrow about 7 of us are going to make a decision.

Don't hate us for it!

and remember, the real important issue's are:

"What Bar" & "What Beer"

As to what beer, it should obviously be some sort of Porter... Has any local bar come out with a "Caleb Porter"?

Porter Patrol

Movie Trailer:

"Welcome to Lee Jackson Field, the home of the ROOligans,

A place where there are no ROOles,

An atmosphere filled with unROOly patrons,

A stadium where opponent's seasons are ROOined."

(Maybe Tim Allen can play the Firm's boss)

Sort of like a Wes Welker press conference?

I believe AreJay posted this on the facebook group (which is HERE btw. Feel free to join)

164497_500808259454_836899454_5912579_7479258_n.jpg

"Porter, by definition, is someone who carries a load, burden or responsibility often on their back. A supporters' group should do just that, carry the team on its back.

"Porter's Army" is a nod to the definition, the coach and the club retaining the qualities he brings."

I'm a HUGE fan of this. Btw a porter is also "One in charge of a gate or door." Which in our case, Akron is a revolving door to the pros, with Caleb being the porter. :D

There was some discussion on Face Book about invoking Porter's name somehow. A "porter" also being someone who carries a load, burden or responsibility, often on their backs; this I thinks also describes the core of a proper supporter's group.

There were two names, The Porters or Porter's Army in the mix. It went as far as to transition from Porter's Army to The Porters as a plan of action following Coach Porter's time in charge.

I noodled a bit with a logo or badge and was asked to post it here:

post-5840-1296162253_thumb.jpg

I believe AreJay posted this on the facebook group (which is HERE btw. Feel free to join)

164497_500808259454_836899454_5912579_7479258_n.jpg

"Porter, by definition, is someone who carries a load, burden or responsibility often on their back. A supporters' group should do just that, carry the team on its back.

"Porter's Army" is a nod to the definition, the coach and the club retaining the qualities he brings."

I'm a HUGE fan of this. Btw a porter is also "One in charge of a gate or door." Which in our case, Akron is a revolving door to the pros, with Caleb being the porter. :D

post-5840-1296163335_thumb.jpg

Okay....so is Porters Army the official selection?

Anyhow, I think it would be a real good idea to start courting Thirsty Dog Brewing. They have a very excellent tap house/bar area with outdoor patios. Right now they're open to the public just one day a week, I believe. They may be persuaded to open up on game days.

And plus, that's where they make ROO BREW.

Check it:

http://clevelandhops.com/wp-content/galler...dog-bararea.jpg

surfer.jpg