Quickzips

Clearly there is more excitement about this program than there has been in recent memory, if not ever. I was cruising MACbbs earlier and they already have talk going about predictions for next year. Suddenly we have gone from "fluke" MAC East Champs let alone MAC Champs (not my feelings, but many MAC fans do feel this way), to a pretty consenus pick to win the East again next year. The term loaded is being used a lot and it has me thinking about what this team is gonna look like next season.

QB: Getsy seems to be coming together as a QB. He doesn't looked scared going back to throw anymore and has made some pretty sound decisions on the run. Another year to work with mechanics and get rid of some of the ducks he throws should benefit him immensly. Many MACsters seem to feel that if Omar Jacobs leaves for the NFL that we may have the #1 QB in the MAC next year. I'll reserve judgement, but I no longer feel as uneasy about going into next season w/ Luke under center as I once did.

RB: Obviously loosing Biggs is going to hurt things. The kid just has "it" as a RB. He runs, he catches, he blocks, he fights for everything he gets. Kennedy has shown some good things in limited time this season. This may be the big question mark moving into next season is how well we will be able to replace Brett Biggs. That said we are a pass first team (not sure I praticularly like that but whatever) and replacing our starting RB is not going to be as big a deal for us as it would be for a team like Memphis who rellies on the running game.

WR: I was kinda worried about this until yesterday. Replacing Hixon and to a little lesser extent Montgomery is no small chore. John Long has looked solid all year and definitley warrants a starting job next season. Jabari Arthur was virtually invisible all season long, but then he comes out in the MCB and looks like a legit reciever. He has always had the physical tools to be a gifted wideout and it looks like he has finally gotten "it" and is able to play the position. On top of that Getsy seemed to develop the kind of confidence in him that he has had in Hixon all year last night. I'm not so worried about this anymore.

TE: Kasparek has been incredibly solid praticularly late in the year. If Getsy continues to use him as an effective safety valve in the passing game next year he will put up some big numbers. Look for Merce Poindexter to come on a little more again next year too. He showed some good things during the season.

O-line: As far as I'm concerned we should return everyone from the starting group for next season with four senior starters. A far cry from last year where one of the big questions was how well all the new o-line starters would be able to do. Chemistry is a big thing along the O-line and having the same starting crew 2 years in a row can really help that. This should be a big help next year for this team.

D-line: This will be another question mark going in to next season. Kiki and White are both graduating and have both been a big part of the defense all season long. Who will come in to replace those two and how they will do will be a big determinant in how far we go next year. Jermaine Reid should be back and will be expected to step up as the leader in the trenches.

LB's: Losing Rohr is going to be a problem, but we return Grant and Stokes who have been pretty solid all season long. Biggest question here if you ask me is who will step in as the new LB coach and will he be able to continue the success that this unit had last season.

Secondary: This unit should stay intact moving into next season. That will be huge as we have had one of the better pass D's in the MAC this season. They are going to have to get over that performance in the MCB this summer though as they made a converted WR look like a Heisman winning QB.

Special Teams: Swiger and Sullivan have been adequate but not spectacular this season. Replacing them will be big but not incredibly critical. Someone is going to have to step up in the returner role to replace Hixon who, although he was not as spectacular as he was last season, was still a damn good return man this season.

What do you guys think?

Replacing Biggs, Hixon, and Montgomery to me will have more of an impact than losing Charlie Frye last year. Outside of one game, Arthur hasn't shown much and Long dropped a lot of balls this year. Running back is a position where we're going to be stuck with very little experience, but Alex Allen and Kennedy are talented guys who hopefully will develop. If we could somehow steal Wells from OSU, I'd feel pretty good going into next season.

the biggesrt question mark i think is the lb position.not only do we have to replace jay

we don't seem to have much depth. i think there is an opportunity to find some younger guys in this recruting class to come in and at least be number two's. stokes and grant showed you can come in and play within one year,or two.

the biggesrt question mark i think is the lb position.not only do we have to replace jay

we don't seem to have much depth. i think there is an opportunity to find some younger guys in this recruting class to come in and at least be number two's. stokes and grant showed you can come in and play within one year,or two.

Balaam should get a shot next year, along with Howe if he can be healthy.

Good post and good topic starter QuickZips. The O line returning intact with the strides they made, gives me much hope for the offense next year. I don't see Getsy as the top QB in the MAC, but I do see him as a solid guy, probably 4th or 5th best. He just needs to stay consistent. I think that Jabari is ready to explode next year, hardworker, finally got comfortable, look for big things.

On D, Rohr and White are tough losses. But I hope that we develop more depth. Who was this Wallace Pendleton who was defensive scout team player of the year? Another big 300 LB guy in the middle is huge. Last years D scout team player of the year was Kevin Grant so I hope for big things from Wallace. Also, a decent shot that Kiki will get his 4th year back and return. If Robinson or Terry turn out to be decent, our D Line suddenly has a lot more depth and size.

I don't see Getsy as the top QB in the MAC, but I do see him as a solid guy, probably 4th or 5th best.

Let's say he is not the top QB in the MAC next year if Jacobs returns. Do you really think there are three or four guys better than him around the league? :rolleyes: Come on, the guy stunk up the field at times this year, but he's not that bad.

Had Frye had the game Luke had Monday, 40% of the posters on this board would be lining up to give the guy a blow job, 40% would be lining up to kiss the mouths of the guys who delivered the blow jobs and 10% would be jerking off while the blow jobs were being given like perverts at a peep show.

Luke, warts and all, has the potential to be the best QB in the league next year. You guys should really embrace the guy.

You know sitting in my seat watching our defense, I couldn't help but think that Stokes has got to be the most overrated player on our defense. The kid got absolutely dominated, especially towards the end of the game. He seems like he's fast and adds a lot in that area, but didn't look like he wanted to hit anybody. I know he was second team All-MAC and some of you may think I'm crazy, but I'd like to see Balaam or one of the others beat him out for '06. Kevin Grant is the only solid starter we have returning at LB.

You need to go back and look at tapes from other games Stokes is a big time hitter. He pull a hamstring in practice this past week and played hurt vs. Memphis. Stokes is a very good player. Go back and watch the first quarter he came across the filed field and put a nice hit on #20.

You need to go back and look at tapes from other games Stokes is a big time hitter. He pull a hamstring in practice this past week and played hurt vs. Memphis. Stokes is a very good player. Go back and watch the first quarter he came across the filed field and put a nice hit on #20.

This is something I've noticed all year zff. The guy makes a lot of plays with his speed but if a team is pounding the ball he's ineffective because he's unwilling to take on blockers. He tries to hard to just avoid them and that doesn't work on 3rd and 2, 3. Brian Howe replaced him in a lot of those situations this year and there's a reason for that. Stokes got absolutely PLANTED more than a few times this year trying to run around blocks instead of taking them on. Most of Stokes tackles are either downfield or when he goes untouched.

The kid got absolutely dominated, especially towards the end of the game.

You could have said this about any player on the defense late in the game. Those guys were finished.

I'm glad the offense went to the hurry up offense, but the thing about the hurry up is if you score too fast or don't move the ball, the defense is exhausted.

Someone said something about team speed. We do need that, but more than anything, we need big players like Memphis had.

i have to agree that the defense just got tired at the end. i thought they played a great first half. it's a shame the offense could not play more ball control(running game).

if we had been able to run the ball just a little better things may have been different.

The D being tired at the end of the game brings up a good point. That being that they are on the field to long and have been at a number of times this year. When our D was most effective was at the end of the year when we really made a concerted effort to get Biggs more touches. I still don't know why we were slinging it all over the field so early on in that game. Biggs wasn't breaking off 15+ yard carries in the first half, but he wasn't loosing yardage. Then it just seemed like we abandoned the run all together and let Luke try and save the game for us. Luke gets a little sporadic and we have a couple real short drives followed by punts, the D is on the field a long time, they get tired, we get torched, and before ya know it we are down by 21. I would really like to see a more balanced offense next season with a good effort to stick with the run unless we are down big time (we weren't down by that much when we abandoned it Monday).

that's my point about our defense. i think our speed is fine. i don't care how fast you are if your out on the field the whole game eventually you will break down on some plays. i didn't see williams doing this in the first half. the zip defense came up with some big stops playing on a short field.the score in the first half could have been easily 21-3.i think there are only two ways to fix it. we need more depth,and control the ball. not trying to nit pick because we did score 31. at the end though you had a fresh back up rb against a tired defense. even when we did score with the short pass to biggs on one play ,the defense wasn't off the field very long to rest.