Reasonable or Audacious Goals?

LosAngelesZipFan

What size/type of stadium to replace Rubber Bowl?  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You still can't dispute that once the team stopped winning the seats got empty. On top of that it is just one example of what I am talking about.
Tell me one college stadium where the seats didn't go empty when "X" team stopped winning. To not build a new stadium to replace the crumbling Rubber Bowl because "we might stop winning" is crazy. Why build all those new buildings on campus...hey, enrollment "might" go down?We are committed to being a real D1 school. Look around campus. This isn't 10 years ago or even 5 years ago. This is today, and tomorrow is the future. Thank God the University has a President that can see beyond yesterday. People in Akron seem to fear success and growth like the plague. I don't get it.

Capitan is ABSOLUTLY RIGHT!!!! Man I hope you people don't raise your kids to be so scary and pessimistic. Reach for the stars, no nuts no glory,...DAMN!! I feel that right now is the perfect opportunity to springbord forward to the upper class of the mid major to major schools. This is a critical point in our universities future. Basketball, Football, and Soccer are all having success, NOW is the time people while getting is good, ride that momentum wave. Don't wait to see how long the wind is gonna blow before you put up your sails!!!! We have recieved positive national attention for CHris Berman on ESPN and beating NIU on prime time television. We have a gang of people coming back, and did everyone forget we had a top recruiting class? This was not because of JD it was because of our "improved facilities". The fact that Mike Shanahan said on national television that we had the best indoor faciltiy he has ever seen said alot during the Hall of Fame game. Hell the new QB recruit talks about our facilities,...... if we build a nice reasonable sized stadium with the ability to add more seats people will come to see the stadium, and what the team is about, after that it is up to the team to keep the momentum going.What more do people want? How much clearer can it be!?!Finally everyone on this board that calls themselves a zips fan needs to start saying "we" and not "they" We need a new stadium, "our team needs to do this etc. Go to the Buckeyes boards if you don't know what I am getting at!! OK i am done with my rant!!Peace a proud football alum :macc:

You still can't dispute that once the team stopped winning the seats got empty.  On top of that it is just one example of what I am talking about.
Tell me one college stadium where the seats didn't go empty when "X" team stopped winning. To not build a new stadium to replace the crumbling Rubber Bowl because "we might stop winning" is crazy. Why build all those new buildings on campus...hey, enrollment "might" go down?We are committed to being a real D1 school. Look around campus. This isn't 10 years ago or even 5 years ago. This is today, and tomorrow is the future. Thank God the University has a President that can see beyond yesterday. People in Akron seem to fear success and growth like the plague. I don't get it.
I think you may be misconstruing my point a little here Captain. There is nothing I would like more than to see a new stadium. I am by no means lobbying not to build it. I am just saying to be smart about it. Put up an asthetically pleasing stadium with maybe a few less seats than the rubber bowl, but leave it open for expansion. The zips are not going to fill a 35,000 seat stadium any time soon anyways. A TRADITION of winning has to be established first. Keep the stadium within a reasonable budget and keep it looking good (not a glorified high school stadium like Dix) for now and let the fans force us to build more seats later on. That is what I am saying.

I agree with GP1 here. Akron should have a stadium that they are sure they can get to at least 80% capacity for most games. I think a 25,000 to 30,000 seat stadium would be about right, however there is no category for that range in this poll.I also think it is important to state that this facility should be one that can be built upon in the future. If the demand is there for more seating capacity then the university could take appropriate expansion measures.

Another advantage the on campus stadium will have is it's location to other forms of entertainment. Most everyone here likes to tailgate. What about those who don't want to tailgate, and want to simply get drunk in a bar and walk to the game? What about people like me who want to hang around in the city, go downtown and party after the game? The Hotels in town will be packed on gamnights! You can't do that at the RB. Though it is debatable if the RB may keeps fans away, it definately doesn't attract fans. WHEN WE ;) build the new stadium, on campus, the only drawback I can see will be.......where will we tailgate???? :cheers:

Fans be realistic at this point in time even if akron won another title and went to another motor city bowl we still would not fill a 30k stadium on a regualr basis, nor fill it enough to look like there is good crowd. 25-30k same size as the RB but with the ability to add another 5-10k if the demand is there. imagine if people had to camp out to get their tickets because we always sold out?? that puts more value on the team the game and the tickets. Value goes up!!! more money coemes into school and the athl. dept. the new AD has a big decision and i am sure it will not be to go bigger than wecan handle. Imaginge the bowl 3 years ago against Can't. imagine if a new stadium was that packed each game or if you have ever seen a Mckinly massilllon game. have a packed house is part of college fB dont get ahead of our selves and take on more than we can handle.