Look at this reply

This link is to the Ohio.com Varsity Letters blog, where the ABJ keeps tabs on potential scholarship recipients. This response, from ABJ sports columnist George M. Thomas, regarding two Buchtel football players, perfectly illustrates the very real trouble Akron has in both being taken seriously and in taking ourselves seriously. Akron has a deep inferiority complex.

Linky

What disheartens me most is that this is coming from an ABJ reporter. I know, I know, I'm showing my age when I'm concerned about the printed media, but, in the past, the printed media has been very influential in shaping a regions self-identity. It is very troubling when our city's own chosen voices don't believe in us.

Our city needs more Caleb Porters.

That disgusts me.

I also like how some people around here talk about the Big 10 and the SEC in the same breath. Getting a chance to play for any schools in the top half of the SEC puts you in position to win a national title, and the major recognition that accompanies it. Playing in the Big 10 (or 11 or 12) doesn't have that kind of luster. And calling themselves "Legends" and "Leaders" only changes that for those who already reside in their little bubble of false belief. Most of the schools in that league probably gives you no better chance of getting noticed than shining at a MAC school. The QBs that the MAC produces is certainly evidence of that.

That disgusts me.

I also like how some people around here talk about the Big 10 and the SEC in the same breath. Getting a chance to play for any schools in the top half of the SEC puts you in position to win a national title, and the major recognition that accompanies it. Playing in the Big 10 (or 11 or 12) doesn't have that kind of luster. And calling themselves "Legends" and "Leaders" only changes that for those who already reside in their little bubble of false belief. Most of the schools in that league probably gives you no better chance of getting noticed than shining at a MAC school. The QBs that the MAC produces is certainly evidence of that.

Why does he mention the Can't offer then? If the kid isn't going to a MAC school, why report on the offer from Can't? My favorite French line a few years back on the 5:45 AM report - "I could stand on this table and flap my butt cheeks. They would make more sense than George Thomas."

That guy truly is an ass, and perfectly illustrates the very real and deep image/self-image problem Akron has. Get over there and leave a reply to let him know we have higher aspirations for our city and university than he does. I just added a reply. I'll paste it here (the quote is from one of George Thomas' earlier replies):

"The reality is I have a better chance of gaining super powers than the University of Akron football program does of becoming any type of national football power."

This is exactly the loser mentality that universities such as Boise State, Hawaii, TCU, Utah, Brigham Young, Eastern Carolina, UCF and any other non-traditional power very likely also had to overcome. It's just sad that a loser like this has a voice at our local paper. This wrongful, damaging, and self-loathing perspective – that the Akron area and it's university are hopeless losers – has now been shown to be the underlying presupposition from which his articles will all spring. This comment betrays a very serious and troubling disposition against the University of Akron. Our city desperately, and may I repeat, desperately, needs less people like George Thomas and more people like Caleb Porter; people who firmly believe that Akron can excel and that the Akron area can cultivate and experience success.

Please do the Akron area a favor, George, and move away… again.

Go Akron!

Go Zips!

Mostly strange responses by this guy. Some I agree with, but few.

I try not to let what writers for the ABJ upset me. I would have had a heart attack years ago if I did.

If you are a D-1A prospect in Akron and you won't start right away at a BCS team, or even worse get redshirted, you are better off going to a MAC school and starting right away if you can. I'm convinced sitting out a year as a redshirt is not the best thing for an incoming freshman with NFL dreams. You get better by playing, not being on scout team.

I did slightly edit my post. Instead of calling GT a "loser" (I shouldn't have done that) I referred to him as a person with a "loser-complex/mentality". But my re-post didn't post. I may have been banned from posting on the Varsity Letters blog?

Jeez. I was literally one of the only people who ever commented about anything on that blog.

I did slightly edit my post. Instead of calling GT a "loser" (I shouldn't have done that) I referred to him as a person with a "loser-complex/mentality". But my re-post didn't post. I may have been banned from posting on the Varsity Letters blog?

Jeez. I was literally one of the only people who ever commented about anything on that blog.

I got your back.

• 3 weeks later...

Varsity Letters? Thanks -- I never heard of it before. And probably won't again. :P

• 1 year later...
That guy truly is an ass, and perfectly illustrates the very real and deep image/self-image problem Akron has. Get over there and leave a reply to let him know we have higher aspirations for our city and university than he does. I just added a reply. I'll paste it here (the quote is from one of George Thomas' earlier replies):

"The reality is I have a better chance of gaining super powers than the University of Akron football program does of becoming any type of national football power."

This is exactly the loser mentality that universities such as Boise State, Hawaii, TCU, Utah, Brigham Young, Eastern Carolina, UCF and any other non-traditional power very likely also had to overcome. It's just sad that a loser like this has a voice at our local paper. This wrongful, damaging, and self-loathing perspective – that the Akron area and it's university are hopeless losers – has now been shown to be the underlying presupposition from which his articles will all spring. This comment betrays a very serious and troubling disposition against the University of Akron. Our city desperately, and may I repeat, desperately, needs less people like George Thomas and more people like Caleb Porter; people who firmly believe that Akron can excel and that the Akron area can cultivate and experience success.

Please do the Akron area a favor, George, and move away… again.

Go Akron!

Go Zips!

Looks like George Thomas is a typical bandwagon follower. Give credit to Terry Bowden, he's getting people excited for Akron American Football.

Looks like George Thomas is a typical bandwagon follower. Give credit to Terry Bowden, he's getting people excited for Akron American Football.

You define GT by an entry of his from February ... 2011?

GT has done an awesome job over the past few months (2012). Be grateful.

If the ABJ f's up, feel free to complain here. I've done it a million times. But when they do a great job you should either praise it, or keep quiet.

Ah, bobby! You exposed a skeleton from my closet!

Yes, I started that thread. But GEORGE THOMAS HAS PROVEN ME WRONG!

If you look at my post history, you'll see that I'm an incredibly laid back guy. I almost never get riled up. Yeah, I was upset about that and it's one of the few times that internet anonymity got to me - I don't think I'd ever say anything like that to someone's face.

The only times I get riled up are if someone disses Akron - Akron in general, not just the U; downtown, the city in general, the university, the university athletics programs, LeBron, etc. I definitely stick up for all-things-Akron.

But I'm sorry about that, George. Your coverage has been simply outstanding. I've been a Zips fan for 20 years now and literally do not ever remember the Akron Beacon Journal offering the outstanding coverage that you've given us over these past couple of months!

I sincerely look forward to the Beacon's daily coverage and I don't remember the last time I could say that.

Thank you!