Akron September opponent's coach in hot water?

Dr Z

Tressel Facing Charges?

Yahoo! Sports is reporting Ohio State football coach Jim Tressel was informed that some of his players had sold memorabilia to the owner of a tattoo parlor more than eight months before the school said it was made aware of improper transactions.The website, citing an unidentified source, reports Tressel received information as early as April 2010 that players were selling items to Edward Rife, who owns Fine Line Ink Tattoos in Columbus, Ohio

What Is The "Truth" Really?

According to a source, a concerned party reached out to Tressel last April, alerting the coach that memorabilia transactions had taken place between Rife and a handful of Buckeyes players, including Pryor. The selling of items violates NCAA eligibility rules. The source said Tressel was troubled by the information, and the coach indicated that he would investigate the matter and take appropriate action.Whether the coach initiated an investigation of the accusation is unclear, but all five players remained on the field in the coming months, playing out the 2010 regular season.Section 5.1 (m) of his contract also states that failure to promptly report “any violations” could lead to “termination by Ohio State for cause.” Ohio State itself could be cited with playing ineligible players and forced to vacate its 2010 season, when it won a share of the Big Ten championship and finished 12-1. It could also face further sanctions for major infractions.

Tressel Era to End With a Lie?

But the severity of Tressel's infraction rises exponentially if it's found he lied to NCAA investigators. And it wouldn't take much further investigation to figure that out. At some point during those 10 days in December that led to the suspensions of Terrelle Pryor and Co., presumably one of the NCAA's staffers interviewed Tressel. If at any point he or she asked the coach whether he'd heard previous rumblings about the notorious Edward Rife, and if Tressel replied, "No" -- well, that's unethical conduct. The NCAA frowns on it. Ask Dez Bryant or Bruce Pearl.

lyinvest.jpg

"Buckeye Planet" Concerned?

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tressel: “There’s a gut-wrenching feeling when you lose a game and you know you could’ve done better,” he continued later. “And then there’s one that goes beyond when you don’t feel as if you did what you should do as people."

Sounds like that "beyond" feeling is something he knows about first-hand? :nono:

Great posts DrZ!!!

For those of you too young to remember anything other than ESPN, this is called "sports journalism". Good reporting.

There is one thing I find most interesting about these stories. Why was OSU contacted by a local US Attorney? The government has no standing over the NCAA, so how did the US Attorney know anything was going on? Why did the US Attorney know about what was going on? Who was the US Attorney investigating? Was the owner of the tat parlor under some sort of investigation? Was one of the players under investigation for a crime? US Attorneys don't just walk around cities looking into tat parlors to see who is getting one. Getting a tat is not a crime. Selling that junk they sold for tats is not a crime so what was the US Attorney doing? Tressel breaking his contract is not a crime that I know of and if it was, the State Police would investigate it and not a US Attorney.

Something is very odd with this story and the focus seems to be in the wrong place. Maybe there is nothing there, but how the information came out was very strange as should be looked into by the media.

Great posts DrZ!!!

For those of you too young to remember anything other than ESPN, this is called "sports journalism". Good reporting.

There is one thing I find most interesting about these stories. Why was OSU contacted by a local US Attorney? The government has no standing over the NCAA, so how did the US Attorney know anything was going on? Why did the US Attorney know about what was going on? Who was the US Attorney investigating? Was the owner of the tat parlor under some sort of investigation? Was one of the players under investigation for a crime? US Attorneys don't just walk around cities looking into tat parlors to see who is getting one. Getting a tat is not a crime. Selling that junk they sold for tats is not a crime so what was the US Attorney doing? Tressel breaking his contract is not a crime that I know of and if it was, the State Police would investigate it and not a US Attorney.

Something is very odd with this story and the focus seems to be in the wrong place. Maybe there is nothing there, but how the information came out was very strange as should be looked into by the media.

It does sound like there is more to the story. When I heard OSU players were trading memorabilia for tats, that just didn't sound right. First of all, tats don't cost that much, secondly, a tat doesn't seem to be an even trade for memorabilia, and thirdly, an OSU player could easily get a tat done for free. I'm guessing they traded memorabilia for tats and a ton of cash. Then you have to ask, does the owner of a tat parlor make a ton of cash? Probably not. The parlor is probably a front for some other unlawful business; typical pay-in-cash, no receipts business. Shady. The US Attorney probably stumbled upon the memorabilia while investigating this money-laundering establishement.

Kinda makes me remember that ridiculous rumor back in December that OSU was going to dump Tressel. Everyone laughed off the source (Chicago-based blog). But the blogster insisted his multiple sources were good, and said that if he was proven wrong that he would "publish a strong statement to that effect in the future." He never published that strong statement, so no one ever convinced him that Tressel's job wasn't in jeopardy.

What if the tips the blogster got were good, and OSU has been trying to bury the story that's just now coming out? If the latest story is true, then the guy who wrote the original blog item on this may have had really good inside sources. Maybe that blog story is what triggered Yahoo! Sports to dig deeper into the situation. Hard to say at this point. But it looks like this "wild rumor" may have legs.

ZN.O Discussion of Tressel Firing Rumor

Great posts DrZ!!!

It does sound like there is more to the story. When I heard OSU players were trading memorabilia for tats, that just didn't sound right. First of all, tats don't cost that much, secondly, a tat doesn't seem to be an even trade for memorabilia, and thirdly, an OSU player could easily get a tat done for free. I'm guessing they traded memorabilia for tats and a ton of cash. Then you have to ask, does the owner of a tat parlor make a ton of cash? Probably not. The parlor is probably a front for some other unlawful business; typical pay-in-cash, no receipts business. Shady. The US Attorney probably stumbled upon the memorabilia while investigating this money-laundering establishement.

It is true that one of the criteria needed for a valid bilateral contract is consideration being offered by both parties, but there is no requirement that the consideration be of equal value. In fact, if one of the contracting parties has better negotiating skills than the other it would not be unlikely that the value of the consideration offered by the parties would differ. An interesting question in this particular case is, "who is more likely to have impaired negotiating skills, a tattoo parlor operator or an OSU football player?" Close call.

It is true that one of the criteria needed for a valid bilateral contract is consideration being offered by both parties, but there is no requirement that the consideration be of equal value. In fact, if one of the contracting parties has better negotiating skills than the other it would not be unlikely that the value of the consideration offered by the parties would differ. An interesting question in this particular case is, "who is more likely to have impaired negotiating skills, a tattoo parlor operator or an OSU football player?" Close call.
Kudos to Zipmeister, it takes skill to write a completely sarcastic comment and make it sound so serious. I think you stepped your game up on this one with the breakdown of business law. To answer your question, good money would be on the parlor operator (if he is sober (not impaired)). What about undue influence though, did the parlor operator exercise undue influence (presumed or actual) over the OSU player? I think that could void the contract. Could there have been fraud in the inducement? Maybe that is why the US attorney is involved. The plot thickens...

I don't know if there was anything illegal going on or not. They may be bit players in something else, but it is strange that a US Attorney stumbled upon it. It could be as harmless as during an investigation of something else, an informant offered to tell the US Attorney about OSU players trading stuff for tats thinking it was somehow illegal thinking it would help his case. US Attorney is OSU grad and informs the school of the potential problem. It could be more serious. All I want to know is....How did the US Attorney come about the information first?

My guess is this might be one of the best parlors in Columbus. If so, the guy probably makes a good living owning it. Knowing the future money these guys are going to have, they aren't going to go cheap. They probably have plenty of under the table money.

Would giving "benefit of the doubt" considerations to a school that has committed hundreds of violations over the last decade really make sense?

Is anyone really naive enough to think this was some tiny little isolated incident committed by players that had no other implications when we're talking about a school who repeatedly breaks the rules?

As Zips fans, aren't we tired of competing against schools that seem to have such a disragard for standards, in addition to spending their way to superiority?

The pompous idiots deserve everything they have coming to them. I can't stop laughing :lol:

As my daddy once said.....If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck....it's probably a duck

Signs Point to Tressel's Job in Jeopardy?

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith has returned to campus and a news conference has been called for Tuesday night, a sign that coach Jim Tressel's job might be in jeopardy after a report that he did not tell his superiors that he was aware of potential NCAA violations involving star quarterback Terrelle Pryor and others. The news conference, set for 7 p.m. on Tuesday night at the Jack Nicklaus Museum on the Ohio State campus, includes Tressel, Smith and Ohio State President E. Gordon Gee.

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith has returned to campus and a news conference has been called for Tuesday night, a sign that coach Jim Tressel's job might be in jeopardy after a report that he did not tell his superiors that he was aware of potential NCAA violations involving star quarterback Terrelle Pryor and others. The news conference, set for 7 p.m. on Tuesday night at the Jack Nicklaus Museum on the Ohio State campus, includes Tressel, Smith and Ohio State President E. Gordon Gee.

I'll be shocked if Tressel loses his job with what is out so far.

tOsu likes to toot their integrity horn, but while there may be some truth to the beliefs they subscribe to, when the rubber hits the road, winning is more important.

If the news conference includes Tressel, then it's doubtful he's being let go, right?

If the news conference includes Tressel, then it's doubtful he's being let go, right?
I thought the same. Although, I also thought, if LBJ was going to hold a one hour special on tv to address his free agency....

I thought the same. Although, I also thought, if LBJ was going to hold a one hour special on tv to address his free agency....

IKR? I thought the same thing about LeBron.

But I can picture Tressel being there if they are letting him go. Give him his chance to say his peace and goodbyes, etc.

However, I still say, unless there is more to come out, no way he's going.

Now there's da ticket! Make it a not-for-profit venture, to benefit future Tosu "student-athletes", by providing tattooing services to prospective Suckeye athletes in advance of admission. This could more efficiently provide a direct service link between professional agents and the pro tatoo community. And...I'll bet the Discovery Channel would be willing to throw in something to gain the reality broadcast rights. It can't help but be a win-win situation. I'm sure JT can get a considerable bonus for his part in the deal too! :wave:

Would giving "benefit of the doubt" considerations to a school that has committed hundreds of violations over the last decade really make sense?

Is anyone really naive enough to think this was some tiny little isolated incident committed by players that had no other implications when we're talking about a school who repeatedly breaks the rules?

As Zips fans, aren't we tired of competing against schools that seem to have such a disragard for standards, in addition to spending their way to superiority?

The pompous idiots deserve everything they have coming to them. I can't stop laughing :lol:

As my daddy once said.....If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck....it's probably a duck

Dude, EVERY school commits violations, including our Zips. If you don't think that every single D1 team breaks rules in recruiting, or that players on every single team don't break rules, I don't know what to tell you. Most schools/players just don't get caught, especially for something as minor as this.

As for whoever it was that said this is great reporting, I disagree wholeheartedly. They are basing an entire story on one anonymous source. There was an anonymous source three days before "The Decision" that said LeBron was coming back to Cleveland...we saw how that worked out. There is zero evidence, and until evidence comes up, Tressel is innocent until proven guilty.

As for whoever it was that said this is great reporting, I disagree wholeheartedly. They are basing an entire story on one anonymous source. There was an anonymous source three days before "The Decision" that said LeBron was coming back to Cleveland...we saw how that worked out. There is zero evidence, and until evidence comes up, Tressel is innocent until proven guilty.

It isn't a court of law and Constitutional protections don't apply.

There is a difference between an annonymous source in a basketball player deciding to move to Miami and say someone who might work in a US Attorney office. I have a feeling we haven't heard the last of the folks from the US Attorneys office in this case. Someone there knows something.

It all starts with a report than unfolds. The author made a good point that Yahoo states it as fact and not an allegation.

I wonder if Tressel is going go say the now famous words, "I did not have relations with that woman,"....sorry, wrong cover-up.

It isn't a court of law and Constitutional protections don't apply.

There is a difference between an annonymous source in a basketball player deciding to move to Miami and say someone who might work in a US Attorney office. I have a feeling we haven't heard the last of the folks from the US Attorneys office in this case. Someone there knows something.

It all starts with a report than unfolds. The author made a good point that Yahoo states it as fact and not an allegation.

I wonder if Tressel is going go say the now famous words, "I did not have relations with that woman,"....sorry, wrong cover-up.

Yahoo has been wrong many times before, which makes me question their credibility when reported with only one anonymous source, regardless of where they're from. Seems like they actually hit on this one.