Euton to Transfer

zippyfan34

And it is a bright one for UA and its fans, even with the loss of seniors McKnight, McNees, Roberts and Bardo, who combined to score 3,272 points, and the possible loss of Cvetinovic, a junior who will graduate soon and has talked of returning to Serbia to play professionally.

In addition, there will be the loss of Euton, who is expected to transfer.

This makes Nik's playing one more season even more imperative for next year's success.

I like both Nik and Dakota. We need a TRUE big man to backup Zeke. Someone that is bigger than 6'8" to complete at a higher level. Hopefully we can get a JUCO that is 6'10" or 6'11" as a legit backup at center if either one of them leaves or transfers.

This makes Nik's playing one more season even more imperative for next year's success.

I like both Nik and Dakota. We need a TRUE big man to backup Zeke. Someone that is bigger than 6'8" to complete at a higher level. Hopefully we can get a JUCO that is 6'10" or 6'11" as a legit backup at center if either one of them leaves or transfers.

That would work out. If neither Nik nor Dakota are with the team next season, we'd have an additional scholly to offer.

1 - Rico

2 - McClanahan

3 - Q

4 - Egner

5 - Zeke

6 - Walsh

7 - Gilliam

8 - Treadwell

9 - Harney

10 - Green

11 - Ibitayo

12 - Justice

13 - ??? (JUCO big?)

How was that local recruit looking... the one from the Cleveland area that was about that size (6'-10"?)? I think Can't was recruiting him also. He may only have been a junior this year, I can't recall.

Some rumors do turn out to be true. You can't totally ignore rumors and you can't treat them as gospel, because many turn out to be baseless.

This news triggers a couple of thoughts.

First, on a really optimistic note, it could be an indication that the Serb may be leaning more toward returning for his senior season. No evidence at all to support that. Just a wild, hopeful guess.

Second, it makes you wonder exactly why Euton doesn't think he's a good fit with a team that's already proven it can make the NCAA tournament.

My best guess on the second point is related to Euton's speed. The one consistent criticism I found about Euton in the Kentucky high school sports forums was that he wasn't fast and athletic enough to perform at a high level on a major college team. Now that may not have necessarily disqualified him from playing a role on previous Zips teams. But all signs are that future Zips teams are going to play at a faster tempo with more athletic players.

That's just a guess. Maybe more will come out later about what actually happened to cause this decision.

I just don't like this a bit. For one thing I don't like the way Gaffney just drops it in the middle of a long commentary, without any mention of the background -- like whose decision is that "departure" Tom? This is almost like "tattle-tale journalism".

But besides that I don't like the prospects IF the team loses both Dakotah AND Nik. That would be a HUGE hole to fill -- and would require Gamechanger to play 30 minutes + on a consistent basis. That's more than enough pressure to put on his young body. And, it seems to make us a less versatile team in the post. Euton has inside-outside skills that are hard to come by in the MAC. But, on the other hand, perhaps he was never going to be the player Billy Gillespie saw after all. I do have a lot of respect for Keith's ability to judge potential and bring young players along (compare it to his predecessor, who's players almost never improved during their careers). I just hope he also realizes how this constant revolving door handicaps his team at the start of each year.

Quite honestly I don't care one bit if we get another 6'11" or 7'0" kid to backup Zeke. Give me a guy who is 6'8" and can play any day over some 6'11" stiff who is just lost out there. The MAC has seen far too many 6'11" stiffs who have no business in D-I basketball but get scholarships just because they are 6'11".

I personally look at this as a pretty strong indication that Nik will return next season. I think like others in the past, and certainly more to come in the future, Dakotah has seen the handwriting on the wall that playing time just isn't going to be easy to come by. If these rumors are true, I wish him the best of luck. But if Nik is coming back he will take a lot of minutes at the 4 and 5 spots. Josh Egner is coming along and can play both of those positions. Then you have Harney and Treadwell who have to be chomping at the bit to get out there. The sky is far from falling if Dakotah leaves. I would have loved to see what he could bring to the table, but I don't think we are in any better or any worse position without him.

I don't like this at all. The revolving door sends a bad message to future recruits. Whether the kids are forced out or shown the writing on the wall, it reduces KD's credibility when he tells the next kid: "you will have a great career at Akron".

Also, if Gaffney had some solid info, he should have stated his sources. Otherwise, he shouldn't mention it at all. He's a journalist not a discussion forum poster.

I don't like this at all. The revolving door sends a bad message to future recruits. Whether the kids are forced out or shown the writing on the wall, it reduces KD's credibility when he tells the next kid: "you will have a great career at Akron".

Also, if Gaffney had some solid info, he should have stated his sources. Otherwise, he shouldn't mention it at all. He's a journalist not a discussion forum poster.

Thanks for reading my post. :D

I don't think it affects recruiting too much. Most of the recent transfers out of the program have nothing but good things to say about it. They understood they didn't fit but were grateful for the opportunity to compete for a roster spot on a good D-I team. They all got to go to the NCAA tournament and they all have MAC championship rings.

Recruits see a competitive environment. It takes a certain kind of attitude to play for KD, and kids that want it all handed to them wouldn't come here anyway.

Something is wrong when you work so hard to recruit someone AND make it to the dance and the guy transfers.

Obviously, it is not because he wants to play for a winning program - we certainly have that.

And just as obviously it is not because some major major is wooing him - he has barely seen the court, no one at an "at large" school is going to offer him a scholarship on the basis of NOTHING.

Sadly, it might be the Akron rep for academics, although I don't see anything wrong with it. Still, it is not Harvard or Princeton or Cornell, so maybe he is going Ivy league as a student?

Something is wrong when you work so hard to recruit someone AND make it to the dance and the guy transfers.

Obviously, it is not because he wants to play for a winning program - we certainly have that.

And just as obviously it is not because some major major is wooing him - he has barely seen the court, no one at an "at large" school is going to offer him a scholarship on the basis of NOTHING.

Sadly, it might be the Akron rep for academics, although I don't see anything wrong with it. Still, it is not Harvard or Princeton or Cornell, so maybe he is going Ivy league as a student?

Why does there have to be something wrong?

Maybe he sees how much Dambrot likes Egner, how he brought in Demetrius Treadwell and Nick Harney, how there's talk of Cventinovic coming back now, and just doesn't see minutes for himself. He's basically in the same spot Swiech was in. He probably wants significant playing time, and I just don't see him getting it here.

I don't think it affects recruiting too much. Most of the recent transfers out of the program have nothing but good things to say about it. They understood they didn't fit but were grateful for the opportunity to compete for a roster spot on a good D-I team. They all got to go to the NCAA tournament and they all have MAC championship rings.

Recruits see a competitive environment. It takes a certain kind of attitude to play for KD, and kids that want it all handed to them wouldn't come here anyway.

+1

If he transfers I don't blame him totally, but at the same time what the hell is he thinking?

Next year he has a chance to play and earn his spot, not to mention he has a ring to pick up at one point for being a MAC Champion basketball player.

Maybe it's just my undying obsession with UA talking but I just don't get it. Maybe he thinks those greyshirts are going to take his spot?

I think you pretty well answered your own question right there. If this goes down, I doubt it has anything to do with bad feelings towards our program or academics or anything like that. The majority of these situations come down to playing time.

If he transfers I don't blame him totally, but at the same time what the hell is he thinking?

Next year he has a chance to play and earn his spot, not to mention he has a ring to pick up at one point for being a MAC Champion basketball player.

Maybe it's just my undying obsession with UA talking but I just don't get it. Maybe he thinks those greyshirts are going to take his spot?

Like Cap'n said. The Zips have no grey shirts (at least none in basketball).

Two thoughts come to my mind. First is does Dakota have the will to do the required work? Second,

no matter how much work he does he can not vastly improve his foot speed. D-I ball may be just

to fast for Dakota.

All the best to him.

Like Cap'n said. The Zips have no grey shirts (at least none in basketball).

Two thoughts come to my mind. First is does Dakota have the will to do the required work? Second,

no matter how much work he does he can not vastly improve his foot speed. D-I ball may be just

to fast for Dakota.

All the best to him.

I thought Harney and Tree were gray shirts?